Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 39,843 times

Advertisements

Hubby and grandkids just decided they are nuts about skating, and hub wants to buy everyone skates. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, but he wants decent skates for kids and adults. Anyone familiar with any local places to buy? Everyone seems to have roller blades, not quad skates, and most of the quad skates are what I call "tennis shoe style", and hubby doesn't feel they are as safe as boot skates. I would say the price range would be $40 (kids) to $100. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,442 times
Almost any sports store will carry roller skates.

REI
Sporting Goods at Sports Authority - Shop at our Sports Store
Skates.com Provides Inline Skates, Ice Skates, and Roller Skates
Kates Online | Where Best Friends Meet For Fun

Last edited by Brooklyn_QueenBee; 01-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Added Kates on line

Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
Online, on ebay. Buy used ones of good quality. "tennis shoe" skates i.e. speed skates are all that the skate rinks will stock because that's what people buy now. Speed skates with wide wheels. Or they get rollerblades and use indoor/outdoor.

SkateLog Forum - Inline Skating Forums - Quad Roller Skating Forums used to have classifieds and has a quad forum

Buy used ice skate boots and have roller places mounted might be another option. The brand new ice boots are far too stiff for a casual / recreational roller skater to ever break in, unless you want to pound on the ankles with a rubber mallet to break them in lol.

Used quad skates of quality are the best value. Bearings are easy / cheap to replace. So are wheels. The old Riedell women's boots like from '80s and '90s ran big. I don't know if the men's did, too.

I've bought from online skate part sellers like Connie's Roller Skate Parts - Accessories - Wheels - Gifts @ Connie's Skate Place

(I'm in NW PA and last looked at skates in winter 2007-2008, but that was the situation then. I presume it is the same now.)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
If your husband is large / heavy, check what plates hold up well. Some of the modern ones have too much flex. That skate forum has "old skate guys" who would know.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 39,843 times
Thanks for all the advice, sorry I haven't been back, granddaughter went in hospital. Will look into these ideas!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times
Watch out for Connie's Skates:

Wanted rear brake for Wide-truck Quadlines.
Connie's told me that that only one version of the brake handles both the wide-truck version, & the streamline(narrow) version. This is a lie. And I paid $36 for a brake that is obviously not the correct brake for either Quadline version! I paid $36(with shipping) for a brake that's worth, at max, $15. (before shipping) I guess their logic is as follows: if they don't have something in stock, they take your order anyway. They send the wrong item, hoping that you won't go through the hassle of returning the item.---You'll need to re-pack the item,pay for shipping back to them, and you may not be refunded for the original shipping.---So, it may not really be worth your time to return the item. They didn't have what you wanted in stock, but they sold you something else, figuring that, at least, they'd make a sale. And it won't be worth your time to return the item.
------------
The brake they sold me actually does fit a totally different plate,but the Quadline has extra-large tires, and the brake they sold me wouldn't fit the Quadline skates, it uses a different plate entirely. ---Maybe the couple that run the business is getting ready to retire, and wants to extract every last dime outa folks, even if they've got to be dishonest about it. Sad.

Last edited by felinicity; 06-01-2014 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 AM

533 posts, read 936,265 times
I bought mine at Kate's Skates last time I took the kids. I probably paid a few more dollars than online, but it was easy. Plus I was able to try a few pairs on before buying what I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte