U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I have a daughter who is the youngest in her class and the redshirters irk me to no end. I'll never forget during kindergarten "meet the teacher" day when one of my daughters classmates parents mentioned her nearly 7 year old kindergartner was already reading books. Good lord.

I sent my daughter, and she is the youngest. When she first realized ALL her classmates were significantly older than her and asked me why I told her she was so smart she had to start school early.

But I think the practice is abhorrent if your child is otherwise normal. You redshirters are throwing the curve for *real* normal kids. Your kids will have a false sense of accomplishment and learn to use their maturity to bully and manipulate other children. Congrats, I guess.
Doubtful but the thing abut changing the curve is that you'll have to keep changing it. They'll be 10 at this rate before they start the 1st grade. I'm sure NCGA will have to pass a maximum age eventually OR the answer will be to start at 6 by law if there are really benefits for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

177 posts, read 387,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Public school? How many teachers did you talk to? Were the advocating for your child to be held back? I'm not sure how I feel about teachers doing that. Would be good if other parents chimed in with real world experiences.

It was a charter school and the teacher didn't tell me yay or nay...she only advised that most kids are being held back now. She said she's not seeing many 5 year-olds with summer birthdays enter kindergarten anymore. This made me feel like I really am in the minority for thinking my kid should go to school when he's 5.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
It was a charter school and the teacher didn't tell me yay or nay...she only advised that most kids are being held back now. She said she's not seeing many 5 year-olds with summer birthdays enter kindergarten anymore. This made me feel like I really am in the minority for thinking my kid should go to school when he's 5.
I would say due to his birthday being in August it's worth thinking about even without considering some silly trend.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

532 posts, read 1,566,338 times
Quote:
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject as it pertains to schools in Charlotte versus schools in other areas. Is this as common in other school districts around the country?
My son (now 22) was born in September. I worked outside of the house when he was young, so I had placed him in daycare while I worked. He learned his Alphabet, his numbers, his colors, was reading, could write his name and was even learning sign-language before starting kindergarten.

The summer before he was scheduled to start kindergarten, his pediatrician, suggested to me that I wait one more year to enter him in Kindergarten. The Pediatrician's thought(s) were, boys mature slower than girls; he would be one of the the youngest boys in the class; therefore, he would be smaller and maybe not as mentally mature as the ones that were born October 16 or later (who would be essentially one year older... but that happens no matter what the school cut-off date is; there are always going to be kids born at the beginning of the range and at the end. The range is one year, so the ages of the kids is one year difference from the oldest to the youngest.) The girls would, naturally, be further along and which could (push) him even farther back.

I didn't listen to the Pediatrician. My son was ready. I didn't hold him back; I started him when he was scheduled. He never knew any different, either. He graduated H.S. at age 17, third in his class. He started college at age 17 and just finished with a B.S. in Marine Sciences, Concentration in Geology, in 4.5 years after changing majors once. My son is an Eagle Scout, too.

I'm not saying we didn't have our bumps along the way, but I'd say he did just fine.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,412 times
Quote:
In case you don't know, redshirting in Kindergarten is when you hold your kid with a summer birthday back for a year so he/she is the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. It began several years ago with kids who turned 5 in June/July/August. Parents of kids in predominantly suburban, upper-middle class areas do this and it happens more often with white male children. It has become so common now in this area that kindergarten classes are catering to kids age 6 years instead of 5 (the age when kids are SUPPOSED to enter Kindergarten).

I personally have a child who will be 5 in August and I had always planned on putting him in kindergarten this fall....until recently. After talking to teachers at his future school, they advised that very few 5 year olds enter kindergarten now; it's mostly kids who are 6 or almost 6. I think it's a shame that I may hold my kid back because the masses are holding theirs back. There should be an even playing field.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject as it pertains to schools in Charlotte versus schools in other areas. Is this as common in other school districts around the country?
My son was born in Nov, and daughter was born in Oct. I can't enroll them early. I'm so happy about that. I get an extra year with them. Time flies. Before long your house will be empty. Hold your son back, enjoy that extra year. When your old and dying I bet some of the memories you think of, will be from that year you spent with him.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,706,755 times
LOL, I never knew they actually used the term "redshirting" to describe this. I knew of several people that did this growing up in NJ, and I would guess those who have "noticed it more since being in Charlotte" may be more due the fact that it's now a growing trend nationally, and you just happen to be in Charlotte now.

I wrestled growing up, and I also knew of quite a few kids who did another year of 8th grade before entering HS (which usually meant going to catholic school). I guess doing it earlier in life will keep them in the same grade as their friends from then on, as opposed to in 8th grade when you most likely already have a good group of friends. But as far as sports are concerned, I don't know how in the world you could predict your child will actually be any good when they're 5 years old. That said, in my case, had I been one year older in HS, I probably could have wrestled Division I instead of Division III, so it certainly can make a difference in getting into college.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:16 PM

985 posts, read 1,650,038 times
I will add 2 things:

it has become so silly that there are parents at our school that have removed their children at the end of 8th grade, sent them to a homeschool 1/2 day school type thing where they will do 8th grade and 9th grade then re-enter them into our high school as a 9th grader and the whole year will be a repeat. 2 of these children had made the Beta club, and had no social issues. The reasoning: they did not make the middle school sports team of their choice. So this the parents figure will allow them to develop (through puberty for strength reason and maybe out perform their new younger classmates). I feel this is extreme and insane all at the same time.

Second: while my 8th grader is smaller than some of his peers that have already hit puberty etc. He has not been picked on for size. But some of the oldest boys don't like their puberty acne and at the high school more boys will have it than in middle. Should a middle-school boy be referred to as a "man-child" and there are 3 boys I have heard parents call this. I would think it could be just as tough on the old end.

I'll add another: the states are currently looking at not allowing participation of sports in high school at the age of 19, currently NC has a not 19 by Sept 1st of their senior year rule, but they are looking at changing that because people are holding out for sports.

and a link: My View: Kindergarten redshirting different for each child – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs

Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM

423 posts, read 661,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
From the article from Mewith3.

This is my feelings. Parents are redshirting for superficial things. They don't want their child to be the smallest? Irregardless if she intellecutally ready for kindergarden? That's crazy.
Maybe SOME parents are, but all of them? I do not agree. My reasons were hardly superficial. Unless you (general you here) are intimately aware of what is going on with these children and their situations, I think it's unwise to judge.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM

28 posts, read 58,565 times
Boy, things get ugly when all of you get into an echo chamber just repeating each other's opinions and bashing those you disagree with.

I'm "redshirting" my boys. I've got twin 4-year old boys with a late May birthday. They were born at 32 weeks premature and had some developmental delays until about the time they were 2 years old. We had our pre-school teacher conferences this week and both teachers said that they would be fine in KG, but that they would recommend a TK program. One of them scored on a 99% and the other 96% on the WPPSI test last month, so academically they're actually very ahead of their age (according to the doctor that gave them the test, both are intellectually on a close to 7-year old level). However, they're not yet physically developed enough to do very important things in KG. It's not all about intelligence. It's about their size (they're smaller than their classmates that have similar birthdays), their physical ability (at gym and playground they're slightly behind their classmates).

So for those reasons, we decided that their current teachers are correct and that a TK program probably is best. A child is not just a mind/intelligence. It's also a body and physical development. In our case, we need to allow their bodies to catch up to their brains. Criticize me if you want, but my point in general is that every family is different and makes decisions for different reasons. The reason that you're assuming might not be what's really going on.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM

985 posts, read 1,650,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp328 View Post
Boy, things get ugly when all of you get into an echo chamber just repeating each other's opinions and bashing those you disagree with.

I'm "redshirting" my boys. I've got twin 4-year old boys with a late May birthday. They were born at 32 weeks premature and had some developmental delays until about the time they were 2 years old. We had our pre-school teacher conferences this week and both teachers said that they would be fine in KG, but that they would recommend a TK program. One of them scored on a 99% and the other 96% on the WPPSI test last month, so academically they're actually very ahead of their age (according to the doctor that gave them the test, both are intellectually on a close to 7-year old level). However, they're not yet physically developed enough to do very important things in KG. It's not all about intelligence. It's about their size (they're smaller than their classmates that have similar birthdays), their physical ability (at gym and playground they're slightly behind their classmates).

So for those reasons, we decided that their current teachers are correct and that a TK program probably is best. A child is not just a mind/intelligence. It's also a body and physical development. In our case, we need to allow their bodies to catch up to their brains. Criticize me if you want, but my point in general is that every family is different and makes decisions for different reasons. The reason that you're assuming might not be what's really going on.
I do believe it is child by child dependent, if my twins were born premature I may have had different thoughts.
I think what many are criticizing is the "hold them back for sports", and yes it does happen and happen too often. Who knows at 4 or 5 that they will have a professional basketball player?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or