U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,610 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this earlier, but I know a mother who FOUGHT to get her child in early (he really did miss the cutoff). Her reasoning, that with brain development occurring to rapidly at a young age, it's best to have them learning as soon as possible. He happened to be much smaller than average too.
Another issue, is that often only fairly affluent families can afford to hold their kids back as they can pay for an extra year of day care or a parent can stay another year at home with the child. This just exasperates the academic divide between rich/poor even further from Kindergarten on as poorer families do not hold their kids back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 AM

177 posts, read 387,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
I guess your advanced education in life and success is why you reach out to other people to help you make decisions on your childs education. I just hope the little "runts" treat your little precious "Johnny" nicely!
I reached out to parents on this forum to hear others' experience on how holding back or starting on time has affected their children. Thanks to all who have direct experience with this and have replied to the thread. It is obviously a hot topic with parents of school age children or there wouldn't be 33+ replies plus several DMs. I'm not going to continue arguing with you over my kid and what's best for him. I just wanted to get a sense of how others feel about this issue and I have accomplished that.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,481 times
adding a recent study to this thread since it comes up yearly:

Against Redshirting: Why It Pays to Be the Youngest Kid in Class : The New Yorker

Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 AM

177 posts, read 387,726 times
I'm the OP and ended up putting my son in TK this year rather than kindergarten. He has an August birthday and is quite small for his age (15th %). It's a month into the school year and I am SO glad we made this decision. One extra year of preparation and growth (academic, emotional & physical) will be great for him. I have two other firends with July and August children who sent theirs on to Kindergarten this year. I've spoken with both of them and they have complained about the struggles their kids have already faced. Both are working moms and their kids get to school at 7:00 am and stay in after school care till about 5:30. That's a long day for a very young kindergartener and they say the kids are just exhausted. Then, there is homework every evening and very little time for playing or relaxing. I think my son would probably have been alright this year, but I'm relieved that we chose to give him an extra year before kindergarten.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,286 times
You're really only a month off from the typical cut off, I wouldn't worry too much. It would be different if your kid was born in Jan-Mayish.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
adding a recent study to this thread since it comes up yearly:

Against Redshirting: Why It Pays to Be the Youngest Kid in Class : The New Yorker
What a great article, and it seems to confirm what I'm noticing with my own daughter.

I struggled with this for a lot of reasons. My daughter is the youngest in her class. Her birthday is mid August. And our home school is terrible so we had a lot of pressure for magnet school or private.

My daughter had a tough first year, but she performed to grade level. The second year was difficult, but she started to hit her stride, performed above grade level in some areas, and demonstrated an uncanny ability in spelling, only missing a couple spelling test questions all year!

This year she is doing great so far (fingers crossed). I was speaking with my wife this last weekend about our daughter's "blossoming" as a student and we both agreed it has been a good choice AND a good experience.

To top it all off, she's at Waddell Language Academy, where her instruction is foreign language immersion, so it really is quite an accomplishment for her. We are proud, and she can tell... So SHE'S proud too. It's an awesome cycle of excellence!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:52 PM

423 posts, read 661,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You're really only a month off from the typical cut off, I wouldn't worry too much. It would be different if your kid was born in Jan-Mayish.
Why would it be different? If a child needs it, they need it.

Honestly, I still don't see why this keeps coming up. Who cares about old studies from other cultures? Do what is best for your child and your family, and please don't judge me because of my choices.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Why would it be different? If a child needs it, they need it.

Honestly, I still don't see why this keeps coming up. Who cares about old studies from other cultures? Do what is best for your child and your family, and please don't judge me because of my choices.

Blast those facts! They can't stand in the face of my almighty opinion!!!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 AM

52 posts, read 57,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
In case you don't know, redshirting in Kindergarten is when you hold your kid with a summer birthday back for a year so he/she is the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. It began several years ago with kids who turned 5 in June/July/August. Parents of kids in predominantly suburban, upper-middle class areas do this and it happens more often with white male children. It has become so common now in this area that kindergarten classes are catering to kids age 6 years instead of 5 (the age when kids are SUPPOSED to enter Kindergarten).

I personally have a child who will be 5 in August and I had always planned on putting him in kindergarten this fall....until recently. After talking to teachers at his future school, they advised that very few 5 year olds enter kindergarten now; it's mostly kids who are 6 or almost 6. I think it's a shame that I may hold my kid back because the masses are holding theirs back. There should be an even playing field.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject as it pertains to schools in Charlotte versus schools in other areas. Is this as common in other school districts around the country?
If you think he should go on time, send him on time. Who cares what other parents are doing? You do what you know is right. Don't play the comparison game. If he, personally, is ready, than that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or