U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM

820 posts, read 1,359,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.

One of my neighbors has dozens of guns. If it ever does hit the fan, I'm going to his house.
There's a good on-line site called Cheaper Than Dirt dot com. Give that a try. They are behind on their orders, but good to deal with and have good prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,597,823 times
Yes, a 12 guage pump and a glock. Don't need an assault rifle...used enough in the military to know these types of WEAPONS (no guns in army) are designed for killing people..lots of people quickly. One of our cadence chant was "trained to kill". Grenades, Claymore mine, M16, AK-47, etc are designed for killing people in a hurry.

I don't think an assault rifle ban will have much impact, perhaps, but people/organizations window dressing an assault rifle as a means for protection aren't helping the situation.

Still, with all my "guns", I realize that the best home protection measures are an active alarm system and a big ass dog.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM

8,216 posts, read 10,659,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I'm sorry, are you one of those that only like for it to be called a magazine, not a clip? Ok, so I did order extra "magazines", unfortunately, it is on at least a 6 month backorder. I was only going to order one, but with the long wait and high demand, I figured I better get two.
I don't *like* for it to be a clip, I like it to be called what it is. What you are purchasing is a magazine.

I am very familiar with the industry and inventory status, and yes...magazines are in fact a minimum of 6 month wait.

eta:
this is a "clip"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_%28ammunition%29

Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,761,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes, simply going to the range and popping off rounds will only teach you bad habits and slow your progress.
I'm talking about lessons, and if you're not willing to get those you have no business owning a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
several middle of the night break ins? That would scare the crap out of me and certainly motivate me to sleep with a loaded gun by my bed.
That would motivate me to find a different neighborhood.

My grandfather has a gun for home protection and pulled it out once when he heard his car being broken into at night. They ran off without taking anything when they saw him.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Yes, a 12 guage pump and a glock. Don't need an assault rifle...used enough in the military to know these types of WEAPONS (no guns in army) are designed for killing people..lots of people quickly. One of our cadence chant was "trained to kill". Grenades, Claymore mine, M16, AK-47, etc are designed for killing people in a hurry.

I don't think an assault rifle ban will have much impact, perhaps, but people/organizations window dressing an assault rifle as a means for protection aren't helping the situation.

Still, with all my "guns", I realize that the best home protection measures are an active alarm system and a big ass dog.
Assault rifles have been banned (with very strict exception) for decades. There have been 2 murders using assault rifles since 1934, one was by a cop, I believe. So I'm not sure what people/organizations are using assault rifles as protection, I believe they run $20,000+ and require a special permit that takes months.

If your talking about the "assault weapons" ban (which is really a made up political word, describing only what the weapons cosmetic features are), it has absolutely nothing to do with automatic weapons like the M16. It deals with semi automatic rifles, that fire one bullet per trigger pull, JUST like you glock.

I really wish the media would stop giving the perception that people are running around with legally owned machine guns by misusing "automatic vs semi automatic" and "assault rifle vs assault weapon", and while I'm making wishes, I wish people would use facts before formulating opinions.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM

359 posts, read 460,461 times
Yes. I own a firearm.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,261,123 times
Don't have one but I'm glad our mayor has gotten to join the national stage and speak with Biden about gun laws.

Between our new security cameras from the DNC and new gun laws, it should help crime. I think it's a little silly people are buying guns to spite our president. But the guns most of you guys are buying fits in with the new policies...In my opinion most "patriots" buying guns up are only making the rich guys richer playing off of emotions...

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,027,577 times
Quote:
I really wish the media would stop giving the perception that people are running around with legally owned machine guns by misusing "automatic vs semi automatic" and "assault rifle vs assault weapon", and while I'm making wishes, I wish people would use facts before formulating opinions.
During Sandy Hook coverage the media pointed out that you can fire 6 rounds per second out of a .223 which of course isn't even a gun.

Who here can pull a trigger that fast?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,027,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Between our new security cameras from the DNC and new gun laws, it should help crime.
I don't think that's what you meant but I agree.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 AM

3,100 posts, read 2,597,823 times
Quote:
Assault rifles have been banned (with very strict exception) for decades. There have been 2 murders using assault rifles since 1934, one was by a cop, I believe. So I'm not sure what people/organizations are using assault rifles as protection, I believe they run $20,000+ and require a special permit that takes months.

If your talking about the "assault weapons" ban (which is really a made up political word, describing only what the weapons cosmetic features are), it has absolutely nothing to do with automatic weapons like the M16. It deals with semi automatic rifles, that fire one bullet per trigger pull, JUST like you glock.

Thanks, that really brings total clarity to the situation but do agree there is a fair amount of conflation and controversy with the terms. However, whether it be assault rifles or weapons, I don't think either are a good choice for self proctection and are specifically designed for killing lots of people (albeit semiautomatic and automatic capability). I don't think a gun ban is the solution and the gun-based fanatics and organizations aren't helping the situation. Instead of sensible dialogue and informing the general public, their typical stance is the gubment is trying to take my guns in violation of the second amendment. It's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte