U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,619,207 times

Advertisements

I've thought about getting one in the past. I travel to alot of secluded places , so having something besides a knife would help greatly , especially given the mentality of some of the 'people' I've ran across. I had several instances where true rednecks/hicks on boats have shouted slurs and threatened to kill me , but thing about it , they never come near shore , always out in the center of the lake. I worry about them moreso than animals. I have to really work on controlling my temper before even thinking seriously of obtaining one. I seem to be running out of patience for idiots as time progresses , and they are prolific , even in the most remote places. One thing I keep in mind is the fact that it only takes a second to get a life/death sentence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 AM

222 posts, read 189,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Between our new security cameras from the DNC and new gun laws, it should help crime.
How? Like in Chicago? A city with the strictest gun laws in the nation. A city which leads the nation in murders and has one of the worst gun violence rates in the nation...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

39 posts, read 52,497 times
Default Where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
After several middle of the night break ins while I was at home I figured I had to do something.I caught them last time but could only stand there and watch as they ran away.Next time things may be a little different .In fact I KNOW things will be different.My weapon of choice is a modified 20 gauge shot gun.Its ready when the thieves are....
Ok so I have to know- what area do you live in?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Thanks, that really brings total clarity to the situation but do agree there is a fair amount of conflation and controversy with the terms. However, whether it be assault rifles or weapons, I don't think either are a good choice for self proctection and are specifically designed for killing lots of people (albeit semiautomatic and automatic capability). I don't think a gun ban is the solution and the gun-based fanatics and organizations aren't helping the situation. Instead of sensible dialogue and informing the general public, their typical stance is the gubment is trying to take my guns in violation of the second amendment. It's a mess.
The general public doesn't want to be informed, they just want to turn on the tv and be told what to think. And the assault weapon ban accomplishes nothing but what the rifles LOOK like, no affect on their actual functions. It is just an admitted stepping stone for further restrictions on our rights.

Here is a great fact piece if you are interested The Truth About Assault Weapons

How can you formulate an opinion if an assault weapon isn't a good choice of self protection, and want to impose that on others, if you didn't even know what it was yesterday? In addition, self protection sometimes include killing multiple people, such as was the case during the LA riots, or other potential government instability. And the second amendment isnt just about self defense against home intrusion, it is also for defense against government intrusion.
For the record, I don't own any type of rifle, but I've personally seen people loose it two days after a natural disaster, and start begging the government for food and water and start looting for such necessities of survival like tvs and sneakers. I can certainly imagine and respect the fact that those that realize the government isn't the solution to everything, and prepare for more than two days of survival without the government, will need to protect their families and supplies from the masses when survival is indeed at stake.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,983,109 times
You bet, you can Never can have too much fire power.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,463,143 times
I think the simple question should be asked, which nobody has........
How much crime is committed with assault weapons?
Outside the very obvious Sandy Hook and similar tragedies, IMO, I don't think a ban on these types of weapons will do much if anything to stop crime. If anything thugs are not walking around with $1500 rifles. In any case the analysis should be done before ANY new federal programs are put in place.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM

50 posts, read 76,867 times
Nation's biggest gun store calls for revolt | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 76,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
several middle of the night break ins? That would scare the crap out of me and certainly motivate me to sleep with a loaded gun by my bed. But, as you wrote, "stand there and watch as they ran away" sounds like the best outcome to me. I would really not feel good about killing someone, even if that someone had broken into my house, especially if that someone was not an immediate threat to me.

Do I own a gun? NOYB.
You were not invited.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 AM

3,100 posts, read 2,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
The general public doesn't want to be informed, they just want to turn on the tv and be told what to think. And the assault weapon ban accomplishes nothing but what the rifles LOOK like, no affect on their actual functions. It is just an admitted stepping stone for further restrictions on our rights.

Here is a great fact piece if you are interested The Truth About Assault Weapons

How can you formulate an opinion if an assault weapon isn't a good choice of self protection, and want to impose that on others, if you didn't even know what it was yesterday? In addition, self protection sometimes include killing multiple people, such as was the case during the LA riots, or other potential government instability. And the second amendment isnt just about self defense against home intrusion, it is also for defense against government intrusion.
For the record, I don't own any type of rifle, but I've personally seen people loose it two days after a natural disaster, and start begging the government for food and water and start looting for such necessities of survival like tvs and sneakers. I can certainly imagine and respect the fact that those that realize the government isn't the solution to everything, and prepare for more than two days of survival without the government, will need to protect their families and supplies from the masses when survival is indeed at stake.
It isn't a good form of self protection, maybe in your end-of-world-scenario-everyone-man-for-himself=scenario. Lol, LA riots and government instability?....too much to time on certain networks and the Scifi channel. If comes to that, you can't stockpile enough weapons and amo to hold off masses of hungry people. If for some reason the gubment were to become nonfunctional, it's a lost cause, the majority of people don't have the survival skills to last much longer than a few weeks/months in an apocalyptic scenario....no one would b**tch about Food Lion at that point.

I grew up downeast on the coast, been in plenty of hurricanes, etc. and we've been without power/electricity for 7+days....everybody I knew was trying to help not harm....FEMA is part of the government and 99% of the time they do a remarkable job during natural disasters, as do many other federal agencies and the red cross without much fanfare. The department of energy does an incredible job tracking power outages (daily) and during natural disasters, coordinate restoration activities amongst a fragmented industry, local and state governments to expedite power resotration. I don't think people realize just how important a lot of these agencies are and the unheralded jobs they do because of the disdain for anything government-run by a bunch of blowhards, asides from the department of defense (industrial military complex) which really serves as cashcow (scared cow) in a lot instances and isn't deemed taxpayer money.

Anyway, Obama isn't gonna take your guns or require you to obtain a devil's stamp to get food. And that kind of fear or paranoia is the foundation for civil instability. Basically, the fear (of gubment, etc) becomes so great, their unreasonable actions subsequently will create the world they fear....that should scare the hell out of people.

All-in-all, it's good to have a weapon for home protection, in my opinion, a semi-automatic weapon and automatic weapon is over-the-top. However, using it for sport (at the range, etc) and marksmanship which I have done is quite understandable, it's an adrenaline rush. I do not support the "gun" ban but anything that makes it a nuisance or difficult for certain types of unstable people in society from getting certain types of weapons. is justifiable.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM

11,835 posts, read 24,059,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.
Lawmans on Clanton Rd has .40 in stock but not alot of it. I'm on my way up to Gaston County to pick up a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Duty in .40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte