Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM

102 posts, read 284,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
There are allot of good sites out there that talk about the proper way to shoot. This article is very good and written by a well known master shooter.

How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob

If you start now with the proper techniques you will not have to break bad habits later (like I am doing now) and see an incredible improvement on your shooting. Have fun with it.
thanks for the link..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,581,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.

One of my neighbors has dozens of guns. If it ever does hit the fan, I'm going to his house.
If it ever hits the fan he would probably shoot you or anyone who looking for shelter.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,293,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
There are allot of good sites out there that talk about the proper way to shoot.
No! No! No! Even if he is a master shooter, shooting is the LAST thing you want to learn from the Internet. It's as if you tried to learn driving that way Go to a RANGE and ACTUALLY learn. If you're going to buy one learn how to use it responsibly, I think that should be a REQUIREMENT.

This isn't related to the reason for all the new legislation, but TOO MANY people die because of guns that were operated or stored unsafely.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,734,344 times
Since we're talking about a national topic here is the list of proposals out from the White House in summary form and links to more details on the TWENTY THREE executive orders signed today.

https://plus.google.com/+WashingtonP...ts/QJkBcQCCPeE

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I started reloading a few years ago. One of the best things I've ever done.
I don't shoot enough to warrant the space and expense of getting set up. And I don't have the patience to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advent View Post
sent a pm about .40 ammo in charlotte..

I just became a first time gun owner a little over a week ago.. I have been wanting a gun since last year valentines when the wife took me to a firing range for a date.. Finally did the paper work in November and received my purchase permit in january 2013..

I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40 and already put a laser on it.. I have put atleast 250 round through it.. awesome gun but crappy owner..
That's usually the case! I'd been shooting for a little while and noticed I was often hitting the target to the right and low. SO one night I asked the range master to see why my gun was off. He took the gun, and about three seconds and 5 shots later, it was obvious that the gun wasn't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If it ever hits the fan he would probably shoot you or anyone who looking for shelter.
Good point. His wife always drinks the tequila I bring over, so maybe I'll hit her up first. Besides, he'll need other shooters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
No! No! No! Even if he is a master shooter, shooting is the LAST thing you want to learn from the Internet. It's as if you tried to learn driving that way Go to a RANGE and ACTUALLY learn. If you're going to buy one learn how to use it responsibly, I think that should be a REQUIREMENT.

This isn't related to the reason for all the new legislation, but TOO MANY people die because of guns that were operated or stored unsafely.
Very true. I'm helping a buddy get into the hobby, and have hammered him on "How do you treat a gun?"..."Like it's loaded"..."How do you know it's loaded?"... "It's ALWAYS loaded!".

I've seen some Youtube videos by well known pro shooters that helped me, so I wouldn't say all internet input is bad. Actual training is great, but Youtube is free! The rest is practice, practice, practice.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,854,188 times
I own a .38 revolver and I will give it up when the legal system starts to hard punish violent criminals and stop the revolving doors. I also immediately signed up for a CWP class (and passed it) within a month of purchasing the gun. I actually rarely carry it, but when I am out in my car at night, or go to areas that I am unfamiliar with, I have it with me. Especially if I have to pick up someone at the airport after dark. Coming from a very rural area of PA surrounded by friends and neighbors who hunted, I never really had a desire to own one. But coming to Charlotte where the criminal element seems to thrive, I couldn't see myself feeling safe without one. But I wanted to do it right and legally.

When I found out that I would be moving to the Charlotte area by myself until our house in PA sold, I told my husband that I wanted one. It actually surprised him, but he agreed. My neighbor in PA had a federal gun vendor license/permit and he took me to a range to try out different types. I chose what would work for me, and as stated above, signed up for the CWP right after moving here. Being a 55+YO female on my own for much of the time I felt better knowing that not only could I go out at night if necessary, and even be in my own home and feel more secure at both. I practice and wouldn't probably even pull it unless I felt extremely threatened. But I guarantee if someone breaks through my door, or tries to get to me in my car with violence in their mind, it would be the last time they would try it on anyone. I would probably have to sell the house or car afterwards, but at least I would be alive to do it. I only own one gun, and that's all I want, but I'm very glad I have it.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,364,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.

One of my neighbors has dozens of guns. If it ever does hit the fan, I'm going to his house.
Yes, I have never seen such a shortage of ammunition as in the last month. And you are also limited in the supply you can buy.

I am already a gun owner, but if money wasn't an issue, I would certainly be looking to add. I don't think we are ever going to be banned from having revolvers, but I certainly wouldn't want to have a revolver as my only line of defense. Look at that guy who was shot 5 times in the face (she only missed once, and the face is a small target... don't think I could do that well when terrified!) and he was able to go down the stairs, out the house, into his car, and drive down the street. Thank God he had nothing other than a crow bar, or she and her children would surely be dead.

I'm certainly going to buy at least an extra clip.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post

While attending the range and learning from a qualified Instructor is important..... THE VERY BEST thing you can do for yourself is familiarize yourself with Massad Ayoob......read, read and read again his writings. Stay away from the rest of the internet commandos and youtube drama teams.

There is much more to being a firearm owner than showing up somewhere and hitting a target down range.

DSS94, spend some time on who Massad is, what he does and what his background is. Learn from him.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Yes, I have never seen such a shortage of ammunition as in the last month. And you are also limited in the supply you can buy.

I am already a gun owner, but if money wasn't an issue, I would certainly be looking to add. I don't think we are ever going to be banned from having revolvers, but I certainly wouldn't want to have a revolver as my only line of defense. Look at that guy who was shot 5 times in the face (she only missed once, and the face is a small target... don't think I could do that well when terrified!) and he was able to go down the stairs, out the house, into his car, and drive down the street. Thank God he had nothing other than a crow bar, or she and her children would surely be dead.

I'm certainly going to buy at least an extra clip.

A clip? Seriously?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,163,496 times
There was a similar amount of panic buying right after Obama was elected. Eventually, the shelves at Walmart and Bass Pro Shops returned to previous levels, albeit with a hefty price increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte