Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
There was a similar amount of panic buying right after Obama was elected. Eventually, the shelves at Walmart and Bass Pro Shops returned to previous levels, albeit with a hefty price increase.
December was the biggest month for background checks due to Sandy Hook. November is the runner-up due to the re-election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.

One of my neighbors has dozens of guns. If it ever does hit the fan, I'm going to his house.
We were able to order ammo online from Cabela's and we were fortunate enough to find what we needed on special. It was here in less than a week.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Cabela's has stock... just picked up a few hundred rounds of 9mm for a good price

I have weapons and enjoy shooting...

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
No! No! No! Even if he is a master shooter, shooting is the LAST thing you want to learn from the Internet. It's as if you tried to learn driving that way Go to a RANGE and ACTUALLY learn. If you're going to buy one learn how to use it responsibly, I think that should be a REQUIREMENT.

This isn't related to the reason for all the new legislation, but TOO MANY people die because of guns that were operated or stored unsafely.
Yes, Yes, Yes, simply going to the range and popping off rounds will only teach you bad habits and slow your progress. It is essential to know the basics and be able to create good technique before ingraining mistakes. Good technique will keep you from pulling your hair out at the range when you keep missing low left and think your sights are off.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
I'm thinking about buying a gun but I'll wait for the hype to die down...

Gun manufactures are loving this.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
A clip? Seriously?
I'm sorry, are you one of those that only like for it to be called a magazine, not a clip? Ok, so I did order extra "magazines", unfortunately, it is on at least a 6 month backorder. I was only going to order one, but with the long wait and high demand, I figured I better get two.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes, simply going to the range and popping off rounds will only teach you bad habits and slow your progress. ...
Indeed.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
After several middle of the night break ins while I was at home I figured I had to do something.I caught them last time but could only stand there and watch as they ran away.Next time things may be a little different .In fact I KNOW things will be different.My weapon of choice is a modified 20 gauge shot gun.Its ready when the thieves are....

several middle of the night break ins? That would scare the crap out of me and certainly motivate me to sleep with a loaded gun by my bed. But, as you wrote, "stand there and watch as they ran away" sounds like the best outcome to me. I would really not feel good about killing someone, even if that someone had broken into my house, especially if that someone was not an immediate threat to me.

Do I own a gun? NOYB.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm thinking about buying a gun but I'll wait for the hype to die down...

Gun manufactures are loving this.
Yep. With their PR outfit, the NRA, stoking the flames. And a lot of these guns will wind up in the hands of criminals. After they're sold, the manufacturers and dealers could care less.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went to three stores yesterday for .40 ammo in participation of going to a range last night, but there was none to be found. It's crazy.

One of my neighbors has dozens of guns. If it ever does hit the fan, I'm going to his house.
I have a neighbor who has a safe* full of guns (20-plus handguns and 7 or 8 long guns - maybe more) I asked him if he had much ammo. I about fell over when he said he needs to buy some ammo because he does not have much...if any. He said he would come to my house if it hits the fan. He's now thinking about popping for ammo, beyond the .357 he has for his home protection weapon.

*His safe is the size of 20 cubic feet upright freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte