U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM

820 posts, read 1,528,968 times

Advertisements

Don't even think about Columbia. It's a non starter.

Among pluses and minuses - we had our last hurricane in '89, after it ripped up Charleston, Columbia, and all points NW. We had 90 mph winds, a VERY rare weather event for us. On the other hand - Charleston is more of a target and don't forget it had its last major earthquake in the late 1880's - so is it due another one? It's in a major fault area - and I believe we're just on the edge of the fault area.

I would look at the tax situation in both areas and the state taxes, also, since I don't know SC's tax rates.

We have an excellent fire department and if you decide to pursue, I believe you will enjoy working here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM

554 posts, read 1,312,649 times
Oh my goodness, here we go again....person after person saying that Charlotte sucks and that Charleston is better. Whatever. NOT! It's just.....soooo different to even compare. Okay, so I looooove love love Charleston - love the small city southern charm, the historic city, the BEACH, the food, ect ect ect. So anyway, on to your questions -

1. Charlotte is not as hot as Charleston....similar but not as hot. I remember moving my friend this past summer from Charleston to Charlotte and thinking to myself that it was hotter. And I've got both cities in my weather app on my iPhone and it's very likely they vary 6 or 7 degrees in temp....which is definitely a noticeable change when you're talking about 95 to 88!

2. Bugs - In my opinion, Charleston has more bugs. No doubt. Maybe it has been my experiences there or maybe it's because of the beach, but every time I go to Charleston I definitely see more bugs....especially more palmetto bugs (aka **** roaches!) whether or not that makes sense since they are only 3 hours in distance, I don't know...

3. Lower % of drunk population. Yes, Yes, YES, Charlotte has a lower % of drunks...and I say this because I know EXACTLY what you mean....I have a friend that just moved to Charlotte after living in and LOVING Charleston for 7 years...she wanted to get away from the drunk scene. Charleston is a fun city, so much fun! But....its a college haven and its a party 24-7 and it's hard not to party when all your friends are doing it....downtown is just one big (fun) party! My friend felt like she was stuck and was scared she wasn't going anywhere in her career and felt like she couldn't meet a guy in that scene,s he was ready to start slowing down her life and starting her adult life.......so she moved here...she's been here about 7 months and i just asked her this past weekend if she's happy she moved here and she said yes. She still goes out...more than she wishes she did, but she feels like she's balancing out partying and growing up. In Charlotte, there are a ton of places to go out, it's definitely NOT a dull city when it comes to night life....but it's not the whole city. There are parts of Charlotte that are chill and artsy, there are parts that are very family oriented, parts that are young professionals, parts that are college areas, and so on and so forth....all different areas for all different types of people and where they are in their life....but to sum it up, Charlotte is very different and you would definitely be out of the "drunk scene" that you are referring to in Charleston. Plus, it's only 3 hours away so you can still go back and have a good time once and awhile with your friends in Charleston!
4. Sports is hands down better in Charlotte. We definitely need to work on our team spirit here but you'll definitely like the idea of having pro sports teams here. It's a good time...
5. We have 2 lakes. Lake Norman is huge and beautiful but much more populated. And Lake Wylie is smaller of the two and beautiful as well. You will enjoy them both, especially if you have a boat or a water toy of some sort.

6. There are a ton of beautiful women here that are in there 30's. When I think of Charleston, I think of a younger college city (and I also think of a retirement city...go figure), but when I think of the nighlife, I think of young college kids. There's a party every night....but for the most party, it's the 20's life. I feel like Charlotte is generally an older crowd. Late 20's and 30's is mostly what Charlotte's night life is. Both cities have exceptions to the rules but I'm generally speaking...

7. Affordable housing is definitely available but the further into the city you want to be the more it will cost you (relatively speaking). It's cheaper than say NY but I don't know if I'd say it's cheaper than Charleston...but then again, I dont know much about Charleston's real estate. Everything's relative...and I don't know where you are originally from so it's hard to say. People from Texas think the housing market here is high, where as people coming from NY think it's a bargain!

8. Traffic is harsh during rush hour if you are traveling further outside of Charlotte's perimeters (such as Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Huntersville, Mooresville). However, it's not unbearable. I've driven to Charleston plenty of times during rush hour and I'd have to say it's comparable. Charleston can definitely get congested just like South Charlotte can on 485. With a city that is growing fast in population, the traffic is unfortunately going to come along with it.

A few more things... both cities are high transplant cities. I think of Charlotte as a bigger city with a lot of different areas. I've lived here almost 4 years ( i can't believe it! it surreal when i say that!) and I still don't know my way around this city....it's a BIG city, I'm talking size wise. From one side to the other it takes me 45 minutes or more, and that's with flowing traffic...it has all different types of areas in Charlotte and I feel like as long as you do your research, pretty much anyone will be happy as long as you don't mind the heat and you aren't expecting a world class city. It's got growing to do....but it's a fun, great city to live in and just from reading what you are looking for, I think you'd like it....and no you are definitely not a dumbass to move from Charleston to Charlotte! Best of luck! :-)

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM

62 posts, read 110,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo View Post
I lived in Charleston for 4 Years during the college years.. I predict you would be let down here unless your trying to just focus on home/family life which Charlotte scores very highly on. You may miss the laid back coastal community feel of Charleston. There is far less to do here and you will find yourself planning weekend trips back to charleston or to Asheville on the weekends.

Is that even possible?

Are you talking specific activities or across the board?

For instance, I'm a huge NBA fan, and needless to say, Charleston doesn't have that.

I know Charlotte is said to be a family oriented say, but have the singles really been left out in the cold?

Maybe there isn't as much as some major cities to do, but I can't believe singles are forced to stay home.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM

27 posts, read 64,102 times
THANK YOU to everyone who responded. All of the assumptions I had about this comparison seem to hold just a little bit, or a lot, of truth from your responses. Im strongly considering this move.

The pro sports teams are a huge draw to me. Im not a Panthers fan, but I love the NFL, and getting to see a different team every home game would be cool. I love fresh water activities, and miss doing them. I cant trust Charleston waters due to alligators. Risk is low, but, you never know, 2 years ago a dude got his arm bitten clear off.

Charleston is an amazing city, and a GREAT place for a single guy in his 20's who is working "get by" jobs and having some fun. It truly is a 24-7 party. However, I see men in their 40's, still single, still hitting the Market/King/East Bay party scene like they are 25. I dont wanna end up like that, and Im afraid the nickname of "Black Hole" that Charleston has is so true for so many. You come in your 20's...have fun...stretch the idea of party life into your early 30's...and before you know it, you're STILL working Food and Bev or at a hotel, at age 40, partying with people who are still in their 20's.

I think in so many ways, for me anyway, the next step in adulthood is a move to a city where I can still have fun, but almost push myself into a more mature stage in life. May change my mind...but...Im feeling a move to Charlotte is near.

Cant wait to explore and experience a new place!

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 12,070 times
When I hear references to Charlotte as a "Big City" Iím not sure If I can take that seriously.. for all intents and purposes it does a very good job as passing as one of the most modern & clean "Big Cities" with a wonderful skyline.. But the reality is that the city highlights are mostly sprawled out in all directions. The finalized light rail will probably do a lot bring it all together, but downtown is essentially and office park, and instead of a centralized place to go, you instead of a little mini-downtown scene in every neighborhood. Im sure people have heard this enough, I just dont know what and how is going to change it. I took a weekend trip to Ashville this weekend. Now that felt instantly like home. Never mind the great downtown there, I guess I just like the mountains.. I supposed I could always find a west facing condo and buy a telescope though.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo View Post
When I hear references to Charlotte as a "Big City" I’m not sure If I can take that seriously.. for all intents and purposes it does a very good job as passing as one of the most modern & clean "Big Cities" with a wonderful skyline.. But the reality is that the city highlights are mostly sprawled out in all directions. The finalized light rail will probably do a lot bring it all together, but downtown is essentially and office park, and instead of a centralized place to go, you instead of a little mini-downtown scene in every neighborhood. Im sure people have heard this enough, I just dont know what and how is going to change it. I took a weekend trip to Ashville this weekend. Now that felt instantly like home. Never mind the great downtown there, I guess I just like the mountains.. I supposed I could always find a west facing condo and buy a telescope though.
Still don't quite understand the fascination with Asheville. A quaint historic downtown area nestled nicely in the mountains, but in terms of a larger diverse city that caters to a wide range of people? I just don't get that feeling there. Not knocking Asheville, it's a great place to visit and works as a livable area for many people.

I like pro sports, the CIAA, etc. To be blunt, there is a helluva lot more to do here (events/activities) for black people (or people in general) than Asheville. Your perspective is too myopic and putting too much weight on what you define as a "great" place to live.

I think Charlotte has a nice downtown, it'll never be historic, they tore most it down during urban renewal of the 60s and 70s. Many of the growing sunbelt cities are sprawly and to be fair, most have placed an emphasis on urbanizing near the core and Charlotte seems to be doing a decent job. I don't think Charlotte needs to change and continue on it's current course to densify/urbanize southern style. Some people will like it, some will not...just like anyplace else.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Indeed. There isn't much of a year round economy in Asheville and spend one winter there and you will be ready to leave. People get dazzled by the tourist spots but fail to realize there is a great deal of poverty in Buncombe county.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Still don't quite understand the fascination with Asheville. A quaint historic downtown area nestled nicely in the mountains, but in terms of a larger diverse city that caters to a wide range of people? I just don't get that feeling there. Not knocking Asheville, it's a great place to visit and works as a livable area for many people.

I like pro sports, the CIAA, etc. To be blunt, there is a helluva lot more to do here (events/activities) for black people (or people in general) than Asheville. Your perspective is too myopic and putting too much weight on what you define as a "great" place to live.

I think Charlotte has a nice downtown, it'll never be historic, they tore most it down during urban renewal of the 60s and 70s. Many of the growing sunbelt cities are sprawly and to be fair, most have placed an emphasis on urbanizing near the core and Charlotte seems to be doing a decent job. I don't think Charlotte needs to change and continue on it's current course to densify/urbanize southern style. Some people will like it, some will not...just like anyplace else.

It's probably a great place to live...

until you actually LIVE there...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,435 times
Why not give Charlotte a try. If you have no attachments or commitments in Charleston this would be the time in your life to try new things. I am from NJ and lived in Charleston in my early 20's while my husband was in the Navy. Loved, loved, loved Charleston!!!! We try to visit once a year since we moved to the far outskirts of Charlotte about 5 years ago. I can not tell you much about Charlotte, It really does not appeal to me. I am in my late 40's with 3 kids and we are not into the "city" scene here. I am more of the quaint charming little city/town kind of person, but I can see why a single person of your age might like it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or