Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM

239 posts, read 376,793 times

Advertisements

I know the season is only halfway done, and that many players on the team cant carry their own weight. But what about ALL of the things that happen, that seems like they are not being taught, such as not boxing out....not properly taking the time to secure a rebound, ...tip drills.....PROPER switch-offs......foot awareness....etc. These things are the BASIC fundamentals to American basketball, and I would find it hard to believe that they are being taught these things, and just not implementing them.

I can understand if they are just less talented then most players, which also hurts the team (Hayward, Diop, etc), but some of the basic fundamentals seem to be looked over.

I also understand that they are alot SMALLER than most NBA teams, but again...too many mistakes are being made, and im wondering if its something with the coach, or if the basketball IQ of some of the bobcats players are just not where it needs to be. I'd like to believe that it is a combination or both.

But with the quick firing of Avery Johnson, Mike Brown, etc., due to HIGH EXPECTATIONS, I OFTEN wonder why HOW Mike Dunlap was able to keep his job during an 18-losing streak. If they could get atleast half of those games back as wins, Charlotte would be in the hunt for a playoff position. (8th spot).

ALSO, one last point. I feel as though, with these group of players, they need a FIERY coach. Someone who shows emotion and doesnt seem to let them get away with so much. I thought that was ONE of the reason Paul Silas was let go??? Because he was waaaaay too laid back.
After a proper assessment of the team's character as a whole, they definitely need a "the buck stop here" type of coach. I havent seen Dunlap show much emotion or disdain when stupid mistakes are being made, which can, in turn, lead one to think its, not necessarily OK, but AtLEAST tolerated.
I know the teams weakest links could be sooo much more effective if they were FORCED to be..which I dont see that happening right now.

So what do ya'll (im from texas..lol) think about the current state of bobcats basketball? And do you think that Mike Dunlap is part of the reason for the team not living up to it's full potential on the court? even with the lack of talented big men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
The Bobcats need a college coach because they are essentially a college team, both in terms of ability, skill level, and experience (age). That is why they hired Dunlap, a college coach. If he can't get this group to perform, nobody can. They brought him in to be a teacher and a motivator. Who else would you hire? The typical NBA coach is an ego stroker and a cheerleader whose biggest challenge is to keep a group of millionaires somewhat cohesive and motivated.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Whether they're SKILL level is on a collegiate level or not, the truth is STILL that they are in NBA team, who needs an NBA coach.

And FYI: I dont have a problem with him being a college coach. I have a problem with him showing the same personality characteristics Paul Silas showed....waaaaaayy too laid back. And like I said, this group of players need a FIERY coach, because they have gotten away with being soooo sub-par for waaaaaayy too long. And even if SKILL levels are stagnant at the moment, they still need someone to PUSH them and light a fire under their butt to do better, and I just dont see ANY of those coaches doing that.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,021 times
Stomping up and down the sidelines and yelling and screaming doesn't win basketball games. Its good TV and the fans like it I guess, but the millionaire players tune it out and play their game the way they want. The team is weak in the middle and can't finish. Not the coaches fault and no about of screaming is going to change that. Hey maybe changing the name back to the Hornets will make them better

Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 PM

No. I am not saying taking it to the extreme, but I wanna see that he is displeased when the do dumb things. I wanna see that it actually effects him that the team doesnt even do the FUNDAMENTALS right. It's all about RESPECT!
Theres a reason why there are TWO harbaughs in the 2013 Superbowl. Those coaches DEMAND respect from their teams (lets exclude the TALENT aspect for a minute). On a team full of MILLIONAIRES, players need someone who can rise ABOVE that and demands respect, no matter how rich and popular someone is.

But again, its all about the MAKE UP of the teams personality. And what I perceive about the Bobcats personality as a team, they need someone who will PROACTIVELY whip them into shape, and show them that emotion that would garner them to reciprocate it on the court. If the coach shows no emotion, then how the HELL does he get the team fired up to play well??? think about it. It'll hit you sooner or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Stomping up and down the sidelines and yelling and screaming doesn't win basketball games. Its good TV and the fans like it I guess, but the millionaire players tune it out and play their game the way they want. The team is weak in the middle and can't finish. Not the coaches fault and no about of screaming is going to change that. Hey maybe changing the name back to the Hornets will make them better

Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
The Bobcats need a college coach because they are essentially a college team, both in terms of ability, skill level, and experience (age). That is why they hired Dunlap, a college coach. If he can't get this group to perform, nobody can. They brought him in to be a teacher and a motivator. Who else would you hire? The typical NBA coach is an ego stroker and a cheerleader whose biggest challenge is to keep a group of millionaires somewhat cohesive and motivated.
What makes Dunlap the end all when it comes to coaching? Fire him and get a new guy... It's not like football where a coach should have a few years due to a 16 game season. You can easily replace a NBA coach and save a season.

I watched the Bobcats lose 3 games where they had 20 point leads. They aren't a championship team but they have to talent to win enough games to make the playoffs (almost half the league makes the playoffs in the NBA). Most of the problems are giving teams open 3's because they are playing zone D too much.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times
Give the guy a chance. The team is only as good as the players he has to work with. They are a substandard team, not because of the coach, but because of management's refusal to pay money for a top player to build around.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Give the guy a chance. The team is only as good as the players he has to work with. They are a substandard team, not because of the coach, but because of management's refusal to pay money for a top player to build around.
he had his chance... an 18 game losing streak is too long. It's the NBA, you can fire 3 coaches in a season and it wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
No. I am not saying taking it to the extreme, but I wanna see that he is displeased when the do dumb things. I wanna see that it actually effects him that the team doesnt even do the FUNDAMENTALS right. It's all about RESPECT!
Theres a reason why there are TWO harbaughs in the 2013 Superbowl. Those coaches DEMAND respect from their teams (lets exclude the TALENT aspect for a minute). On a team full of MILLIONAIRES, players need someone who can rise ABOVE that and demands respect, no matter how rich and popular someone is.

But again, its all about the MAKE UP of the teams personality. And what I perceive about the Bobcats personality as a team, they need someone who will PROACTIVELY whip them into shape, and show them that emotion that would garner them to reciprocate it on the court. If the coach shows no emotion, then how the HELL does he get the team fired up to play well??? think about it. It'll hit you sooner or later
I stand on what I say, no amount of stomping up down the sidelines, regardless of the sport, makes a team play better. It doesn't fire up a team at all. Most players pay zero attention to anything a coach has to say. Pro sports is entirely different. It's not like High School, where the coaches can go running and screaming at players and they players quake in fear. A coach does that in pro ball he's liable to be sitting on his rear end. Respect has nothing to do with why either team is in the superbowl. That simply makes no sense. They have a combination of good players, and a good game plan executed better than the team that they beat. Do you really think Ray Lewis gets fired up because his coach demands his respect? C'mon. Do you think Tom Brady gives a rip that his coach stomps up and down the sidelines (which he doesn't). The motivation of pro sports players is nothing like motivating high school or even semi pro players. It's a job, they go out and do it, then it is on to the next game (or go home). They want to get paid, plain and simple. Some might care a bit about winning, but the majority are happy as long as the check clears.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM

A good coach can scream, whisper, sing, etc... its alk about the results. Those Harbaugh brothers jump around and scream... coach Jackson and Dungy didn't...

Good coaches put players in a position to win... good coaches win more than they lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte