U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

27 posts, read 64,115 times

Advertisements

Hello to anyone who has an opinion on this, I'd greatly appreciate all your input!!!

Quick version: I live in Charleston, and kinda want to move somewhere new. Charlotte is possible. Im a fireman, and am applying to the city.

Charleston:
- Too hot/humid
- Too many bugs BUGS BUGS
- Everyone is drunk..all the time
- Traffic is awful, even for a small city
- Nothing to do except beach, beer, history tours
- Ocean and lakes have sharks and alligators
- Housing is way overpriced

+ Lots of hot women
+ Its at the beach
+ Awesome restaurants
+ Winters arent bad

What Im looking for:

Less heat/humidity, less bugs, lower % of drunk population, more stuff like pro sports teams, rec leagues, etc to do, lakes without alligators, attractive women (Im 31, single), affordable housing, I expect traffic- but hope it is reasonable.

Ok. Am I smart or a dumba** for considering this move?

THANKS in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,066,307 times
Personally, I think that what Charlotte has to offer has more in common with Charleston than what you are looking for. so, for example, since it's not AS close to the ocean, there will be less bugs but not many. This is also a city that has a high number of transplants that already have families, and thus a lot of activities are geared towards families. Can't help you with the drunks. Have you considered Columbia. I've got a bit of a soft spot for that city, and it may tone down on what you don't like a bit while still providing what you do like.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,724 times
Charlotte and Charleston are very popular cities with transplants moving to them......Only thing Charlotte wins over is the sports teams and Charleston has the charm and beach....Other than that, don't think there's a huge difference in your negatives and positives....Up to you! I agree with the poster above me. I'm from Columbia and you'd probably like it since it's so close to Charlotte AND the beach. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM

27 posts, read 64,115 times
Thanks! I have looked into Columbia, and its an option also. Trying to sort out the options.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM

520 posts, read 770,342 times
This is a funny thread .. I mean who wants to move out of charleston?

Charlotte
- Too hot/humid. - same here.. May be little less humid.
- Too many bugs BUGS BUGS. - not that much
- Everyone is drunk..all the time - funny...Charlotte has a fair amount of intoxicated people without getting drunk
- Traffic is awful, even for a small city. - its very bad here
- Nothing to do except beach, beer, history tours - nothing to do here except NASCAR.
- Ocean and lakes have sharks and alligators - no oceans here..couple of lakes... Lots of wannabe rich folks with speedboats. There was a death last year due to boat accident.
- Housing is way overpriced - $1000 buck for 2 bedroom in a decent place.

+ Lots of hot women. - lots of woman here as well. Why do u need woman? They are just not hot here.
+ Its at the beach. - aaaaahhhh... This is a city.
+ Awesome restaurants - not so awesome restaurants..
+ Winters arent bad - it may snow tonight.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,289,587 times
Too hot/humid- Charlotte isn't much better.

Too many bugs BUGS BUGS- Everywhere has bugs. I'd like to think Charlotte has less than Charleston.

Everyone is drunk..all the time- Don't think you'll have that problem in Charlotte.

Traffic is awful, even for a small city- If you're complaining about Charleston's traffic, you aren't going to be pleased with Charlotte. More people, more traffic.

Nothing to do except beach, beer, history tours- Would you trade this for beach trips, mountain trips, boating, Carowinds, museums, conventions? As stated before, Charlotte has many activities attracted toward families, but the nightlife for a single guy like yourself is improving if that's what you're looking for.

Ocean and lakes have sharks and alligators- Not in Charlotte lol.

Housing is way overpriced- Depends on your definition of overpriced.

Lots of hot women- More women, there's a change there's going to be more attractive ones.

Its at the beach- Close enough to the beach to still enjoy.

Awesome restaurants- More chains, more upscale, less touristy type.

Winters arent bad- Well, this is my first winter in Charlotte, so I can't say too much.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,761,391 times
You retiring here or lookin for work? If you be a lookin for work you might not want to move.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,724 times
As you can see. Charleston is the most loved city on this forum! LOL.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM

494 posts, read 677,409 times
I lived in Charleston for 9 years. I absolutely loved it. I met my wife there and got married there. I have nothing but good things to say about it. We moved to the Midwest about 6 years ago.
That being said, we are looking to move back down south and Charleston really isn't on our radar. It's a great city in your 20s, but we are in our 30s and think we would like Charlotte better. Larger city, meaning more things to do. The bar scene is not as predominant. You don't get the beach, but ask yourself how much you will avail yourself of it.
I think the young professional scene is bigger and more varied in Charlotte. It's mostly medical and food and beverage industry.
You can't beat the bar and restaurant scene in Charleston, but overall, for someone in their 30s, I think Charlotte in the nicer city.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
Hello to anyone who has an opinion on this, I'd greatly appreciate all your input!!!

Quick version: I live in Charleston, and kinda want to move somewhere new. Charlotte is possible. Im a fireman, and am applying to the city.

Charleston:
- Too hot/humid
- Too many bugs BUGS BUGS
- Everyone is drunk..all the time
- Traffic is awful, even for a small city
- Nothing to do except beach, beer, history tours
- Ocean and lakes have sharks and alligators
- Housing is way overpriced

+ Lots of hot women
+ Its at the beach
+ Awesome restaurants
+ Winters arent bad

What Im looking for:

Less heat/humidity, less bugs, lower % of drunk population, more stuff like pro sports teams, rec leagues, etc to do, lakes without alligators, attractive women (Im 31, single), affordable housing, I expect traffic- but hope it is reasonable.

Ok. Am I smart or a dumba** for considering this move?

THANKS in advance for any input!
Well, Charlotte has pro sports (not just nascar) but there a lot of places that meet your criteria (Atlanta, Columbia, Triad, Triangle, etc). Although Charleston is historic and urban, you'll definitely have a more of "big" city (diversity) experience in Charlotte and access to other places (via interstate, airport, etc), whereas, Charleston is kind of remote and off the beaten path.

Seems you're just ready for a change and Charlotte hands down beats Charleston for family oriented activities and the 30ish folk seeking just enough stuff to tell everybody at work about weekend exploits. Plenty of restaurants, chain and non-chain. I've never quite understood the fascination with non-chains because a lot of em are overated and not on the level of some chains. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones a lot of good chain restaurants as well. The Triangle area is probably the best bet for non-chains (of quality) in the Carolinas.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-18-2013 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or