Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM

28 posts, read 74,094 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide on one of these schools for my kids. Does anyone have thoughts or comments on which one is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
not directly, we know people very happy with both. I have heard the test to qualify to get in is harder at CDS and that the classwork is more challenging. That is a high school opinion though.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,417 times
entrance exam is the same at all the schools (latin, country day or providence day), not harder for one or another.
different size campuses. country day has 2 campuses where the middle school goes to a different one on carmel road behind the country club while main campus is at corner of fairview and carmel.
country day has more students.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

Any info on differences between the student bodies (minority enrollment, academics, attitudes)? My wife and I think both schools are great, but we're looking for some additional information outside of the prepared responses from admissions counselors to help us make our decision.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
This is just here-say (confirmed by my high school aged daughter) - I've always had the impression that Providence Day is more politically liberal. I know quite a few Jewish families who attend - that may have something to do with it. Providence Day seems to have more recent transplants while CCDS is a much older school and tends to serve the native Charlotte families with money. This is just a generalization - I'm sure there are both kinds of families at both schools. CCDS is the only private school to offer the IB program in high school and I know a few people who transferred there to take advantage of that.

I myself would have sent my kids to PDS if we could have.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. I've heard that opinion of CCDS (old money/elitist) from a couple of different places. Has the new headmaster done anything to counteract that? Is it so bad that someone who doesn't fit that profile ("new-money"/Northern transplant) would feel uncomfortable there?

The IB program is a big plus and the extended-day options at CCDS also seem more exciting for kids than the one offered at PDS.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp328 View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. I've heard that opinion of CCDS (old money/elitist) from a couple of different places. Has the new headmaster done anything to counteract that? Is it so bad that someone who doesn't fit that profile ("new-money"/Northern transplant) would feel uncomfortable there?

The IB program is a big plus and the extended-day options at CCDS also seem more exciting for kids than the one offered at PDS.
Our neighbors send their daughter to CCDS. Her dad and his siblings went there as well. They praise the school and love it. Their daughter is very happy. Yes they have money but they are not elitist. Very friendly and most importantly they are natives that live in a neighborhood full of new money and transplants. Sometimes I tend to feel the "new money" is more of an elitist mentality.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM

162 posts, read 240,178 times
Make sure you get your car magnet and rear window sticker so the rest of us can see that your children go to private school.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 AM

527 posts, read 919,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
Make sure you get your car magnet and rear window sticker so the rest of us can see that your children go to private school.

Why the hatred towards people? I saw spewing venom on Charlotte bobcat name thread.

I thought you were worried about the state of this country.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Charlotte CDS has a challenging academic program. I don't think you could go wrong if you can get your kids into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte