U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM

23 posts, read 22,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
45 minutes?

Kings mountain a 60 mile round trip each day on the interstate plus the local travel. In contrast W. Mallard Creek Rd would amount to a 14 mile round trip. Concord would be just 24 miles. It's a huge difference in travel each week and I-85 through Charlotte and Gaston county is very congested.

I really see no reason to consider moving there if you work or go to school in NE CLT.
What area would you suggest I look into? Concord and where else? Ahh this is so confusing. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marys7152 View Post
What area would you suggest I look into? Concord and where else? Ahh this is so confusing. Lol
Basically almost anywhere off I-85 from Mallard Creek Rd and outwards. If you are willing to wait on the completion of I-485 (2014) then you could look at Huntersville as well. Right now, that isn't the easiest of commutes but that is a whole lot better than trying to commute to Cleveland county.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
NDL

3,119 posts, read 3,607,600 times
Quote:
Harrisburg is a nice town.

If you're looking into moving west of Charlotte, then Belmont is your best bet: good schools, low crime, clean and quiet. Belmont has a nice little town too, and it isn't that far from the lake.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
45 minutes?

Kings mountain a 60 mile round trip each day on the interstate plus the local travel. In contrast W. Mallard Creek Rd would amount to a 14 mile round trip. Concord would be just 24 miles. It's a huge difference in travel each week and I-85 through Charlotte and Gaston county is very congested.

I really see no reason to consider moving there if you work or go to school in NE CLT.
I basically know where the OP lives & what her husband's current commute is. How much knowledge of South Jersey do you have? Plus, what's the advantage of going over towards Concord & being stuck in road reconstruction?

Before the Ulta opened in Gastonia, I made the drive home from the one near the university in rush hour traffic more than once & that took me 45 minutes, door to door each time. That's further than he would be driving. I don't have a lead foot, either.

I live in Kings Mountain & I know this area. I lived in South Jersey over 40 years & my sister lives in the same county that she does. Kings Mountain gives her a very good high school & the atmosphere that she wants. She's looking for a rental & if they don't like it they can always move, but to get this atmosphere, she'd go just as far to the east as Kings Mountain is west.

ETA: I did not see you object to my initial recommendation of Mooresville. Mooresville & Kings Mountain are both 30 miles out.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-24-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How much knowledge of South Jersey do you have?

ETA: I did not see you object to my initial recommendation of Mooresville. Mooresville & Kings Mountain are both 30 miles out.
Your first point South Jersey is completely irrelevant. We are talking about Charlotte and I assume the OP is moving here to improve their situation. Since you think personal anecdote is important then I will say that I've lived and worked in the Derita area and the S I-85 area for close to 4 decades so I know what I'm talking about. It simply makes no sense to take on a 60+ mile daily drive in heavy traffic when there are better options much much closer. A drive to the Mallard Creek area for example can also be made from Derita on local streets in case there are issues with I-85. Of course someone who has never lived there would not know this.

On your second point, you apparently didn't read what I posted. I have also lived in the Lake Norman area for close to 2 decades and having commuted from the Derita area for many years, I would not recommend it. IMO it's not as bad as driving to Kings Mountain, but it's bad enough.
Quote:
I should point out that Trailer Drive is in Derita. The Lake Norman area would not be the easiest commute and I would not want to do Mooresville from there. I'd recommend heading up I-85 to look at Harrisburg, Concord, and places on W. Mallard Creek Rd.
to the OP, I would also say that Belmont is an OK drive, but take care in where you choose to live or you will be listening to the jets at Charlotte/Douglass airport. The city limits of Belmont is just 2 miles on the other side of the river from the runways and with future airport expansion coming, it should be a concern if you don't like to listen to airplane noise.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Your first point South Jersey is completely irrelevant. We are talking about Charlotte and I assume the OP is moving here to improve their situation. Since you think personal anecdote is important then I will say that I've lived and worked in the Derita area and the S I-85 area for close to 4 decades so I know what I'm talking about. It simply makes no sense to take on a 60+ mile daily drive in heavy traffic when there are better options much much closer. A drive to the Mallard Creek area for example can also be made from Derita on local streets in case there are issues with I-85. Of course someone who has never lived there would not know this.

On your second point, you apparently didn't read what I posted. I have also lived in the Lake Norman area for close to 2 decades and having commuted from the Derita area for many years, I would not recommend it. IMO it's not as bad as driving to Kings Mountain, but it's bad enough. to the OP, I would also say that Belmont is an OK drive, but take care in where you choose to live or you will be listening to the jets at Charlotte/Douglass airport. The city limits of Belmont is just 2 miles on the other side of the river from the runways and with future airport expansion coming, it should be a concern if you don't like to listen to airplane noise.
Wow, ok not that I need to explain myself , but the person I was answering has lived in New Jersey, and was asking me what part I lived in, and we actually had a conversation. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Although being rude wasn't really necessary.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
.... Although being rude wasn't really necessary.
I wasn't trying to be rude and I apoligise if you felt this was directed towards you. I was pulled into the New Jersey conversation when the party responded to my comments about Kings Mountain if I was familiar with NJ. I felt that it was an attempt to discredit my advice about a 60 mile RT commute on I-85 given the history I've had with this individual. I felt it was irrelevant to what I've posted. This isn't your concern so again, I apoligise.

I offered up my advice to you as a native of this area who has lived all over this county. Of course you can choose to listen to what appeals to you, but I don't think that you will find many here who will suggest a drive through 3 counties as something reasonable when better and much closer options exist.

I won't interfere in your topic again.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be rude and I apoligise if you felt this was directed towards you. I was pulled into the New Jersey conversation when the party responded to my comments about Kings Mountain if I was familiar with NJ. I felt that it was an attempt to discredit my advice about a 60 mile RT commute on I-85 given the history I've had with this individual. I felt it was irrelevant to what I've posted. This isn't your concern so again, I apoligise.

I offered up my advice to you as a native of this area who has lived all over this county. Of course you can choose to listen to what appeals to you, but I don't think that you will find many here who will suggest a drive through 3 counties as something reasonable when better and much closer options exist.

I won't interfere in your topic again.
Apology accepted, thought you were talking to me, I was thinking, what the heck?? Thank you for all your advice, I do appreciate it. I will continue to research, having the hubby do long commutes in crazy traffic is def not good nor what I'm looking for. You are correct about that. Just looking for some quiet towns to look in near the area where is company is located. Thank you again!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,803,193 times
Former NJ resident and now RETIRED living in the Sandhills of NC.

We made many trips to both South NJ and NC before deciding on a place to retire.

We found that NC and South NJ are similar in that the people in both areas seem to us to be more "country" than you will find in the Northern parts of NJ where we came from. In that respect I think you will fit in nicely.
On a couple of negative things, the traffic around the most populus areas of NC, Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh is almost as bad as northern NJ traffic.
On the schools systems I can only go by what I read in the local papers and see on the news but the schools here in NC seem to be more interested in sending basketball players to Duke and NC state that they are in sending scholars to Harvard and Princeton.

If your looking for a quality education for your kids and not a sports scholarship I would keep the kids in NJ schools.

We never considered a move out of NJ as long as our kids were in school.( there is a reason for those high NJ RE taxes)

On another note NC is a great place to retire to because we still have four season but a much milder and shorter Winter season.

Like some others have suggested living 50 miles from your job is not going to be a great commute.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:

On your second point, you apparently didn't read what I posted. I have also lived in the Lake Norman area for close to 2 decades and having commuted from the Derita area for many years, I would not recommend it. IMO it's not as bad as driving to Kings Mountain, but it's bad enough. to the OP, I would also say that Belmont is an OK drive, but take care in where you choose to live or you will be listening to the jets at Charlotte/Douglass airport. The city limits of Belmont is just 2 miles on the other side of the river from the runways and with future airport expansion coming, it should be a concern if you don't like to listen to airplane noise.
You do not know what the rush hour traffic is coming from this end of I 85 west of Charlotte is. It's just about the same as 295 in South Jersey except the state of NJ never bothered to connect 2 segments of the interstate, requiring northbound travellers to play bumper cars with another road, while the southbound travellers do a weird loop-de-loop. I 85 is a straight run & traffic does not pick up until after 485 & is not heavy until after 77, which is about when the OP's husband would be getting off.

Traffic is not bad on this end, because people always have the option of taking 74 AKA: Kings Moughtain Highway/Franklin Blvd./Wilkinson Blvd.

The reason I brought up South Jersey is that when she gave me her current school district I suspected & she confirmed that she lives out in the country. She does not live in suburbia & she has repeatedly said that she does not want that. I initially suggested Mooresville because I mistakenly thought that she was from North Jersey. Belmont gives her a high school that would be very similar to the one that her girls currently attend. I gave Kings Mountain as an option, but did not push it. Had you read what I said, you would have seen that I said that they might feel that it's too far.

Coming from the west, the OP's husband would always have the option to hop off 85, if coming from Kings Mountain, at exit 27 (Belmont) or simply take Wilkinson Blvd in if they were in Belmont, to 277 & head north if there was a traffic problem on 85. Other than a vey short distance near Uptown, he'd be headed against traffic.

To portray the traffic on this end as the same as your end is false & misleading. To portray it as worse is not based in truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or