Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marys7152 View Post
I have been doing some research and looking at surrounding towns. We currently are in NJ and he has a 45 minute commute now. I will continue to keep researching. You guys are much appreciated, and given me lots to think about.
Am I correct in assuming that you're from North Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 28,342 times
I'm looking to rent, I'd like to be in a quieter town, not one of the bigger towns. Being near water would be a plus, but not a must. Funny you mention SC, his company does have a branch in Charlestown. I'm looking for a nice 3 bedroom, doesn't have be elaborate. Just not falling apart, with a good high school and friendly people. I'm not picky and I'm not snobby, very down to earth. Looking forward to a change, it's much needed.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM

I am currently in South Jersey, about 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I am currently in South Jersey, about 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia.
OK, I came here from South Jersey. Belmont might work for you, after all. Kings Mountain has better schools, but would possibly be a longer commute than your husband wants. Which school district are you currently in?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Delsea Regional High School

Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Delsea Regional High School
OK, Belmont would be fine for you. Kings Mountain High would probably be a step up. School Districts are by county here with the exception of a few places, Mooresville Grade Schools are one of those exceptions.

Shopping west of Charlotte is mostly done in Gastonia which has a population about the same as Cherry Hill.

The drive to where your husband would be working would probably be ~40 minutes from Kings Mountain, maybe 20 - 25 minutes from Belmont. You'll get more bang for your buck as far as renting or purchasing in Kings Mountain because it's further out.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, Belmont would be fine for you. Kings Mountain High would probably be a step up. School Districts are by county here with the exception of a few places, Mooresville Grade Schools are one of those exceptions.

Shopping west of Charlotte is mostly done in Gastonia which has a population about the same as Cherry Hill.

The drive to where your husband would be working would probably be ~40 minutes from Kings Mountain, maybe 20 - 25 minutes from Belmont. You'll get more bang for your buck as far as renting or purchasing in Kings Mountain because it's further out.
Ok, I have been looking up Belmont. So many decisions. I will look into Kings Mountain as well.
Thank you

Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, I have been looking up Belmont. So many decisions. I will look into Kings Mountain as well.
Thank you
You're welcome. West of Charlotte was mill country. Gastonia was pretty much the capital. The cities & towns took big hits & that was followed by the recession.

Towns are reinventing themselves. Belmont is the furthest along, because of location.

A big bonus for you with Kings Mountain is the Ingles supermarket. It's a lot like ShopRite & Pathmark.

The urban development here is more north-south. West of Charlotte will give you more of the feel of Gloucester County or Camden County out by Atco, depending on the town.

A bonus here is that in the '60s, when the mills were closing in Philly, a lot of the mill workers came here to the area west of Charlotte. Natives usually have known & liked those people & do understand the North Jersey/South Jersey difference.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-24-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM

I live in the country basically right now, really quiet around here for the most part. I just am not happy at all. I'm looking forward to the change. I would like to be near the beach more but I guess I can't have everything!! Lol Yea that's me in Gloucester County, funny you mention PAthmark, I worked for them for 19 years before we closed. I have so much to decide, just looking for a 3 small bedroom, in a nice area, that's not going to break the bank. I don't think I'm asking for a lot. Lol

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I live in the country basically right now, really quiet around here for the most part. I just am not happy at all. I'm looking forward to the change. I would like to be near the beach more but I guess I can't have everything!! Lol Yea that's me in Gloucester County, funny you mention PAthmark, I worked for them for 19 years before we closed. I have so much to decide, just looking for a 3 small bedroom, in a nice area, that's not going to break the bank. I don't think I'm asking for a lot. Lol
When you said Delsea Regional I knew that west of Charlotte is the better fit for you, in spite of my first recommendation.

My sister lives in Pitman, so I know that they closed down the Deptford Pathmark.

If you look in Kings Mountain, make sure that it's the Cleveland County side for schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte