Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM

34 posts, read 86,844 times

Advertisements

Arrived in Charlotte for my official house hunting trip yesterday. Staying in Matthews at the cheapest hotel I could find in order to keep the budget in check.

Checked out Next Level Church on Sunday morning and had a good time. Contemporary music and very engaging pastor, as he had a strong message that really challenged those in attendance with regard to their preconceived notions about religion. Met a number of nice people while I was there, as everyone was very friendly and helpful. After the service, I was invited to lunch by one of the senior elders and he took me over to Monterrey. We talked for a couple of hours about the church, religion, diversity, vision, etc and I really give him credit for answering all of my tough questions honestly. Afterwards, he showed me a few spots in Matthews like Stool Pigeons and Kristophers.

Later in the afternoon, I checked out the Siskey YMCA, and all I have to say is WOW. It was nothing like I expected, as the YMCAs here are on a totally different level than what I thought YMCAs were like. Marcia over there is great, as she gave me a thorough tour and answered all of my questions. Sondra was really cool too, as they took a lot of time to take me through the entire place, and boy is it HUGE!

Even though the Y is more expensive than "real gyms" like Peak Fitness, I really think that we may end up signing up there because they truly have something for both me and my wife, in addition to the great kids area where actual moms are running the show vs just part time babysitters. I definitely recommend taking the time to get the tour from Marcia if anyone is considering some of the other gyms in the area.

Last but not least, I went to Tony's and got a philly steak for dinner. It wasn't very crowded but they had tons of pick up orders coming in, and as a result it took a long time before my food was ready. Not a big deal though as I have worked in places like that so I understand how they work. Gonna try the pizza there later this week as I plan to do a taste test vs Marino's by getting a slice from both places on the same day.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured there are at least 1 or 2 people on here who get a kick out of reading my ongoing updates from this journey. Will be back tomorrow with another update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
There in no better church than Steele Creek Church of Charlotte. We have alot of inter racial couples in our church and it is non-denominational! We have people from all over the world attending our church. I recommend it highly and it will only be about 15 min or less from Ballantyne.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Hey did you ever find a house????

Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM

Well, we are finally here! We just moved in yesterday and are currently buried in a sea of boxes, but we are really happy to be here in Charlotte! We just want to give a BIG THANK YOU to everyone here on the board for all of your insight and kind words, and we hope to meet some of you guys in person really soon (as soon as we dig ourselves out from under all these boxes!!!)

Steve and Tonya

Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Almost forgot...We ended up in Hunter Oaks, so we can't wait to meet some of you fellow Hunter Oakers (is that even a word haha) really soon!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Awesome Steve and Welcome to Charlotte and Hunter Oaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte