U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 14,055 times

Advertisements

You mentioned the Steel Creek area, does anyone in the Charlotte area know anything about that subdivison? Do you hear air traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswoboda View Post
You mentioned the Steel Creek area, does anyone in the Charlotte area know anything about that subdivison? Do you hear air traffic?
Steele Creek is a large geographical area made up of many subdivisions. It has been my experience that you hear distant planes overhead depending on which flight patterns are being used on a particular day - some days you hear nothing. But when you do hear them it is not too loud.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM

71 posts, read 295,615 times
I will agree with lovesMountains. You may...and I really mean MAY hear distant plaines. What you may hear more is the Helicopter at the new hellapad in Ballantyne. The airport is far enough away where the planes have made their turns before getting close enough to Steele Creek. I live at rt 51 & carmel and I see them more than I hear them. I think the only carrier that will head that far south is US Airways on their path to the North. I used to fly them often and was able to see my house before the plain would turn and head to NH.

You can check out Steele Creeks Web site as it's really informative.

Last edited by Luv_homes; 10-30-2007 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Added Web link

Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Default Rent a condo or house

Welcome to planning a move to the Charlotte area. We have a Condo and Townhouse for rent. This is in the area you plan to move off of Johnston Road. My suggestion to you would be to rent for a year and find out where you think you would want to move. A 3 day visit is not the time you need to purchase a home. We moved in the area about 3 yrs ago and purchased a home before we moved and if I had it to do all over again I think I would of rented for a year. You will be back before you read this. Our son is in an interracial marriage with 4 children and we do not have a problem with that. God made us all some light and some dark. Should you want other info please feel free to e-mail me.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 AM

34 posts, read 77,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oelwfl View Post
Welcome to planning a move to the Charlotte area. We have a Condo and Townhouse for rent. This is in the area you plan to move off of Johnston Road. My suggestion to you would be to rent for a year and find out where you think you would want to move. A 3 day visit is not the time you need to purchase a home. We moved in the area about 3 yrs ago and purchased a home before we moved and if I had it to do all over again I think I would of rented for a year. You will be back before you read this. Our son is in an interracial marriage with 4 children and we do not have a problem with that. God made us all some light and some dark. Should you want other info please feel free to e-mail me.
Thanks for the post. We actually aren't here to find a home as this trip is more about the interview. The true home search will come later down the road if I am offered (and accept) the job. We will be sure to keep everyone informed on how things play out. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Well we are about to head to the airport so I will give one more recap before we head out...

Yesterday we checked out Fort Mill and Tega Cay, but those areas are too far out for our tastes, so we decided to cross them off our list. The homes were really nice and you can definitely get more for your money out there, but it appeared as though the area was a longer drive to the office than we would prefer, and it didn't have as much in the way of entertainment, restaurants, etc as some of the Union County and Ballantyne areas we saw, so these were the deciding factors as to why we won't be looking at Fort Mill and Tega Cay housing when we get to the realtor stage.

Last night we got a great tour of uptown and Southpark by one of the team members, and we had dinner at a new place in Southpark called M-5. It has a fantastic atmosphere, kinda like something you would find in Manhattan, and they described the food as "modern meditteranean", whatever that means haha. They had all different types of fish, steaks, etc, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. We even tried the bbq octopus which had a great smoky flavor.

After dinner we saw all the hot spots downtown, and also drove through a great neighborhood filled with huge mansions and beautiful victorian style homes. The uptown skyline was incredible at night and words can't describe how great a city Charlotte is, not just in terms of aesthetics, but the people as well.

Well, time to head to the airport...We will let you guys know how everything goes from here.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:04 AM

125 posts, read 341,976 times
Hope you have a safe trip back. Sounds pretty promising on both sides! Take care of that Mom-to-be! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 37,991 times
Check out Union County. Very close to Ballantyne and low taxes and better schools than Mecklenburg County. Look in Lawson. It is my favorite.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 PM

***UPDATE***

I was offered the job and I accepted! My wife and I are really excited about what the future holds for us and our family, but right now we are in a holding pattern of sorts as we have to go through the whole relo process and that won't start taking shape for a few weeks. Things are gonna be really crazy for us with the new baby coming in the next month as well, but we are both looking forward to our move, which should be taking place sometime in January 2008. Thanks to everyone on the board for all of your input and hospitality. You guys were all great and we hope to actually meet some of you when we land in Charlotte in a few months. Once the relo process gets underway, we will let you guys know the next steps with regard to the actual home search and all that good stuff, but our preliminary thought is Hunter Oaks, as we both really enjoyed the subdivision, location, and value in that area. Thanks again!

Steve and Tonya

Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc45040 View Post
***UPDATE***

I was offered the job and I accepted! My wife and I are really excited about what the future holds for us and our family, but right now we are in a holding pattern of sorts as we have to go through the whole relo process and that won't start taking shape for a few weeks. Things are gonna be really crazy for us with the new baby coming in the next month as well, but we are both looking forward to our move, which should be taking place sometime in January 2008. Thanks to everyone on the board for all of your input and hospitality. You guys were all great and we hope to actually meet some of you when we land in Charlotte in a few months. Once the relo process gets underway, we will let you guys know the next steps with regard to the actual home search and all that good stuff, but our preliminary thought is Hunter Oaks, as we both really enjoyed the subdivision, location, and value in that area. Thanks again!

Steve and Tonya
Well congrats on your good news! Best of luck to you and your family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or