Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 PM

17 posts, read 31,246 times

Advertisements

Also since it's k-8 where kids go after 8th grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbien View Post
How does one apply for Waddell if they move to the area with kids going into middle school? is it a lottery?
My kids are fluent in French (speak, read & write) and would love for them to continue, do you know anymore about the schools acceptance policy? I could not find much info on the web.
Thank you
call 'em. You'll probably be able to get in.

You go to your home school for high school.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Quote:
How does one apply for Waddell if they move to the area with kids going into middle school? is it a lottery?
My kids are fluent in French (speak, read & write) and would love for them to continue, do you know anymore about the schools acceptance policy? I could not find much info on the web.
Thank you
How old are your kids? - if older than grade one, definitely call them. Speak with the principal Ynez Olshausen. They usually have space in grades 2-5.

There is a lottery every winter - the first round is over for next year and there is little chance of getting in for Kindergarten or Grade 1 now (exception is Japanese). However if your kids are older than K-1, and they already speak French, they can enter later - often at any time since there is space (kids move and you can't enter after grade 1 without some language knowledge).

Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Quote:
Also since it's k-8 where kids go after 8th grade?
There is a continuation for the Language magnet depending on where you live. Most of the county continues on to South Meck HS, another part is West Meck (not recommended). South Meck at least has more advanced language classes for the ex-immersion students. Many students also choose their home school. My daughter actually applied to a different magnet after immersion and now goes to the Arts magnet High school.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 19,113 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Can you take from the $13,000 a year saved and pay someone to drive your child to school?

Sure, you can do that. Obviously, it's about safety for your child.

Yes, instead of the private school bill at this point, we are putting the money to good use. Part of it will be used to "supplement" with the things that Waddell doesn't have. Part of it will be to save for private school in High School, so it won't be such a stretch. And make college will cost a fortune.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
My daughter attends Waddell and it's a "EXCELLENT" school!! I made the best choice for my daughter!! I don't care what school your child attends, the parent(s) have to be involved!!!!

My family attends church daily and my daughter goes to Sunday school! I teach my daughter at home and we attend church !! I'm not paying all of the money for my child to attend a Christian School !! I My child will still get a good education with the challenging curriculum at her school and we read Bible scriptures and teach her myself!!!

The Christian schools I looked at had as many children in the classroom at my daughter's Magnet school!!

I'm saving money for 75 % of my college cost, expenses, and a car when my daughter is mature enough for college!

CMS have some great schools, if parents will take the time to do the research!!

Funny thing is that a friend of mine goes to the private Christian school looks at my daughter's homework and states she is doing 2 grade levels ahead of the private curriculum.

All private schools are not good and not all Magnets schools are good.. DO YOU RESEARCH!!

I THANK GOD EVERYDAY I MADE THIS DECISION!!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:59 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
You made the right choice! I know many families who are at Waddell and have had absolutely amazing experiences. It is truly one of the gems of CMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte