Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Killing a pregnant woman is excusable? That's 2 lives.

He could have simply walked out of the confrontation. There are ways to deal with anger, killing the other person is not answer.

No matter what the circumstance.. taking another human being's life is inexcusable.
I missed the part where he said it was excusable. But your post talks about anger and taking another life. Is it OK when the state does it? The difference is that it isn't about anger and taking a life it's a matter of law.

We don't put to death everyone that kills regardless of the reason.

I'm sure you meant murder but your words just struck me.

Here's a good article on the subject:

Complex challenges put NC death penalty on life support :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I missed the part where he said it was excusable. But your post talks about anger and taking another life. Is it OK when the state does it? The difference is that it isn't about anger and taking a life it's a matter of law.

We don't put to death everyone that kills regardless of the reason.

I'm sure you meant murder but your words just struck me.

Here's a good article on the subject:

Complex challenges put NC death penalty on life support :: WRAL.com

I thought about bringing that up, but instead focused on the overt hypocricy. Perhaps ADA is religious? Hypocricy runs rampant amongst the overly religious folks.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
The article said "Cox, agreed to spend the rest of his life in prison rather than risk being sentenced to death".

This sounds like he was given a choice. True? If so, why?

My personal opinion is that locking someone up for the rest of their life is a lot more harsh than just killing them.

I also consider that a prisoner for whole of life is a very dangerous person. "What ya gonna do to me? Use strong language?"

Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I thought about bringing that up, but instead focused on the overt hypocricy. Perhaps ADA is religious? Hypocricy runs rampant amongst the overly religious folks.
Hmmm. A lot of people that are anti-abortion that are pro-death penalty are religious. I wouldn't think the DA could get elected for going against the death penalty and the ADA couldn't make this choice on their own.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Wow, willing to give a murderer every benefit of the doubt but quick to attack the overly religious

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
The article said "Cox, agreed to spend the rest of his life in prison rather than risk being sentenced to death".

This sounds like he was given a choice. True? If so, why?
Why was he given the plea choice? I think we've covered that.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Anger? Let us keep in mind the murderer stole the individual's cell phone, money and car and drove off. He could have used this cell phone at any time to call 911 to come and try and save the woman's life. Instead of doing this, he returned not once, but twice, to the restaurant to eliminate all signs that she had been killed. He robbed the store to make it look like she did it and was in hiding from the police. He took the body and dumped it in a trash dumpster where it might have ended up unnoticed in an incinerator or landfill. He went on a spending spree with the money he took from others.

This was a person who might have killed out of anger, but he did everything he could to then cover it up. He had his chance to be shocked and remorseful for his act. He didn't take it. He had already been to jail for some other crime against society.

In light of all this, I think the death penalty was more than appropriate. I do however understand that bleeding hearts have made this punishment practically impossible to administer in this state. It's a shame. Now the people have to spend their money to keep him caged up for the rest of his life so that he can't harm someone else.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Anger? Let us keep in mind the murderer stole the individual's cell phone, money and car and drove off. He could have used this cell phone at any time to call 911 to come and try and save the woman's life. Instead of doing this, he returned not once, but twice, to the restaurant to eliminate all signs that she had been killed. He robbed the store to make it look like she did it and was in hiding from the police. He took the body and dumped it in a trash dumpster where it might have ended up unnoticed in an incinerator or landfill. He went on a spending spree with the money he took from others.

This was a person who might have killed out of anger, but he did everything he could to then cover it up. He had his chance to be shocked and remorseful for his act. He didn't take it. He had already been to jail for some other crime against society.

In light of all this, I think the death penalty was more than appropriate. I do however understand that bleeding hearts have made this punishment practically impossible to administer in this state. It's a shame. Now the people have to spend their money to keep him caged up for the rest of his life so that he can't harm someone else.

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions. It's just my belief that the death penalty be in place for premediated murders, and it's only an opinion, but I don't believe that makes me, or anyone else who would think that way a bleeding heart. I can see where you are coming from with the issue of going back to try to cover up the crime scene, even if I don't believe that would warrant the death penalty.

One thing that may be in the minds of some of these prosecutors, is the hack job done with the Casey Anthony trial. The prosecution was particularly aggressive with charging her with first degree murder and trying for the death penalty, even though they only had circumstancial evidence regarding her intent, and that higher burden of proof ultimately doomed them. While I can't agree with the dismissal of the lessor charges, I don't think that we would have ended up with the same conclusion had she been charged with 2nd degree murder. And it may be possible that the DA in this instance had a guy who was willing to plead guilty, and would run the risk of having him acquitted if he pushed the death penalty.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
He should be put down, as we would do to any rabid dog that is unable to control it's actions.

The death penalty here (US) is a joke.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
He should be put down, as we would do to any rabid dog that is unable to control it's actions.

The death penalty here (US) is a joke.
Yes, it is a joke. Even Russia hasn't killed one of their citizens by law since 1999. Hardly any first world countries do and that's only if you consider Lebanon to be first world.

Which country comes closest to the model you think we should follow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte