U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM

377 posts, read 595,027 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the Mecklenburg County jury website (or process).

I was originally scheduled for jury duty in October. I deferred, which was approved and pushed back to this Monday. As a potential juror you are supposed to wait until after 5:30 p.m. the business day before and either call or check the website to see if you are to report to the courthouse. So I waited and I did.

So I just called thinking there would be recorded message but no, the jury coordinators are not available (which of course I knew that with county offices being closed today). I checked the website. The Summons date still shows my old summons, states that my deferral was approved, but my status is excused.

Basically, today at 4:04 the website was updated with:
Quote:
Randomly Excused From Next Day Scheduling 01/25/2013 04:04 PM Randomly Excused Non FTA.
Reading that I am logically ASSUMING that I don't need to show up on Monday. However, because I'd rather not have a failure to show notice, I'm second guessing my logical thought process. I don't know what 'Non FTA' means (Non Failure To Appear?). I am to report there at 8:00 a.m. or else I'd just wait and call on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,787 times
All I can tell you is when I went to the website I saw "excused" but none of that other stuff, "Randomly" ?? TFA??? It sure sounds like you are excused. You could call in the morning for a translation, but I would agree that you don't have to show up on Monday.

In my case I saw "excused" and didn't go in and never heard anything from them.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM

That wording I quoted was from the Juror History Page where they update from the time they actually put you in the pool until apparently the day before. On my actual juror page my status is Excused.

I should have clarified that.

The top of my juror page:
Quote:
Current Status: Excused

Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Oh and THANKS!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,758,064 times
Just for the record I learned that if you fail to appear on the day you are requested its no big deal. They just note that you aren't there and they send you another letter giving you a NEW date to appear. Then you have to give reason (such as a doctors note etc) to be excused or you will be required to appear. .

Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM

820 posts, read 1,528,694 times
Keep hard copies of anything and everything for future reference. The court system is an imperfect operation, to say the least. That should include a copy of this thread. Use a PDF printer, such as PDF Direct (it's free for the basic) and lets you print an entire thread beginning with your original message.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Just for the record I learned that if you fail to appear on the day you are requested its no big deal. They just note that you aren't there and they send you another letter giving you a NEW date to appear. Then you have to give reason (such as a doctors note etc) to be excused or you will be required to appear. .
It actually depends on the judge...when I went to jury duty, the judge ordered failure to appear warrants on those who were "no shows".

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Keep hard copies of anything and everything for future reference. The court system is an imperfect operation, to say the least. That should include a copy of this thread. Use a PDF printer, such as PDF Direct (it's free for the basic) and lets you print an entire thread beginning with your original message.
What advantage would OP gain by doing this?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What advantage would OP gain by doing this?
Thanks for asking. Now I don't have to. Don't think it's bad for the website maybe but this thread? An excuse cause some strangers on the internet said so?

Note to OP though. I'd recommend calling the automated phone line to see what it says. It might be more clear.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,787 times
But Your Honor, Mr XcapefromNJ told me I didn't need to report! No Your Honor, I don't know exactly what he Xcaped from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or