U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,660,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Ok, I totally agree with you on the weather reports....especially in the spring and summer when there's a nasty storm anywhere in the Charlotte viewing area that comprises about 18 counties. I live in Steele Creek and I get frustrated that I am missing a show because there is a nasty storm in Statesville....speaking of weather forecasts, is it just me or does Eric Thomas on channel 3 freak anyone else out???? He'll do his little commercial promoting the 11pm forecast, and after he says his piece, instead of shutting his mouth, it just stays wide open!!!! It's just annoying to me for whatever reason....It just dawned on me as well that WCNC didn't name today's weather, Winter Storm 2013"!!!! Brad Panovich is slipping!!!!!!!
I watch WSOC. I tried another station for some reason or other and was greeted by an education I wasn't expecting. This was whatever channel does the consumer product reviews on Saturday morning.

I learned that the % chance of precept isn't the chance that it will rain but rather the % of time that it will be raining. In other words if there's a 90% chance of rain it means it will rain 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,660,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinlou View Post
I'm from Ireland the last few winters we had were harsh, black ice is common during the winters and spring, we often ran out of salt to clear the roads when there was lots of snow and ice, there is no such thing as businesses closing or schools. Before we moved to Charlotte I had heard that the south closes down from a southern friend but I didn't believe it until I was here.
I do not know how the public school transportation works in Ireland. I don't know if children walk to school wearing studded shoes over black ice. Maybe they go to school in school buses or public transport that uses chains or some other method to overcome the ice. In general I don't see how a bus would fair well on untreated ice.

What I do know is hardly anyone lives there so there really doesn't seem to be much data online. The weather seems mild so that would explain "common" black ice that is untreated. Maybe people just go slow to avoid frozen sheep.

Both New York and London have had multi-day school closures this month due to weather. If they close schools in London then I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in Ireland. Bottom line in my opinion is that rubber + ice = trouble.

I also think people suffer from amnesia when they move when it comes to weather. I'm not saying it's the case here but someone told me that TODAY that they only saw 5 ice related accidents in Michigan when they lived there. Michigan has 3x ice related fatalities (and roughly the same population) than NC so maybe they should stay home more often.

It is true that the winters lately in Ireland have had longer cold snaps than usual. If there is a secret that the Irish know that allows safe travel on ice then I think they (or you) would be kind to share it with us.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,957,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I...
My biggest complaint is when every local network will delay normal broadcasting for 2 hours to keep us informed of an impending thunderstorm that "may" have a funnel cloud, when a simple scroll along the bottom of the screen will suffice.
There is an exception to this. If they have pre-empted the news, as they often do on the weekend for professional sports, then it won't matter if Armageddon level weather is on the way. It won't be newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game.

i.e. News you can count on unless the NBA/NFL/MBA is on TV.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 AM

5,893 posts, read 7,748,067 times
They just said on the news that yesterday's high temperature of 27 was the record for lowest high temperature. I didn't even think it was that bad.

68 on Tuesday...

Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM

21,991 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There is an exception to this. If they have pre-empted the news, as they often do on the weekend for professional sports, then it won't matter if Armageddon level weather is on the way. It won't be newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game.

i.e. News you can count on unless the NBA/NFL/MBA is on TV.
Thousands of dollars are involved when pro-sports commercials are not aired. They can't do a make-good because the price is determined by the viewership for those games. Local spots may be bumped during a game to update for weather, but not the game itself. Stations have tried that, but irate viewers have been known to call the network, so they don't try it again.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thousands of dollars are involved when pro-sports commercials are not aired.
Oh I know the reasons. The point is that you can't count on the news as they like to suggest.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Oh I know the reasons. The point is that you can't count on the news as they like to suggest.
Stations do alert people when necessary. It might be a crawl or a window, but they do it, when necessary.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Stations do alert people when necessary. It might be a crawl or a window, but they do it, when necessary.
I never suggested that they didn't. It's not in the context of what I was responding to.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM

5,893 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Well you chose an interesting post to quote then. The post you quoted from swampfoxer was specifically complaining that they shouldn't interrupt what was on TV because a scroll on the bottom of the screen would suffice. Which is exactly what they do if there is an alert during sporting events.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well you chose an interesting post to quote then. The post you quoted from swampfoxer was specifically complaining that they shouldn't interrupt what was on TV because a scroll on the bottom of the screen would suffice. Which is exactly what they do if there is an alert during sporting events.
Thank you. I can't rep you again, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or