U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM

372 posts, read 564,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thank you. I can't rep you again, yet.
But I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,660,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There is an exception to this. If they have pre-empted the news, as they often do on the weekend for professional sports, then it won't matter if Armageddon level weather is on the way. It won't be newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game.

i.e. News you can count on unless the NBA/NFL/MBA is on TV.
Depends on your definition of "interrupt" is. Folks got bat nuts when XFactor has a weather crawl. They might fully preempt but there are FCC rules on the matter.

Emergency Video Programming Accessibility to Persons with Hearing and Visual Disabilities | FCC.gov

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

21,985 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
I never suggested that they didn't. It's not in the context of what I was responding to.
This is the post that you responded to & your response.
Originally Posted by swampfoxer
I...
My biggest complaint is when every local network will delay normal broadcasting for 2 hours to keep us informed of an impending thunderstorm that "may" have a funnel cloud, when a simple scroll along the bottom of the screen will suffice.
There is an exception to this. If they have pre-empted the news, as they often do on the weekend for professional sports, then it won't matter if Armageddon level weather is on the way. It won't be newsworthy enough to interrupt the football game.

i.e. News you can count on unless the NBA/NFL/MBA is on TV.

Then this exchange with me.

Originally Posted by southbound_295
Thousands of dollars are involved when pro-sports commercials are not aired.
Oh I know the reasons. The point is that you can't count on the news as they like to suggest.

Having run master control for live sports & having manned the machine that spews out the commercials for the Fog Bowl at 1/2 a million dollars a pop, I know the ropes. I could only gauge your knowledge by your response to swampfoxer.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM

129 posts, read 194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I do not know how the public school transportation works in Ireland. I don't know if children walk to school wearing studded shoes over black ice. Maybe they go to school in school buses or public transport that uses chains or some other method to overcome the ice. In general I don't see how a bus would fair well on untreated ice.

What I do know is hardly anyone lives there so there really doesn't seem to be much data online. The weather seems mild so that would explain "common" black ice that is untreated. Maybe people just go slow to avoid frozen sheep.

Both New York and London have had multi-day school closures this month due to weather. If they close schools in London then I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in Ireland. Bottom line in my opinion is that rubber + ice = trouble.

I also think people suffer from amnesia when they move when it comes to weather. I'm not saying it's the case here but someone told me that TODAY that they only saw 5 ice related accidents in Michigan when they lived there. Michigan has 3x ice related fatalities (and roughly the same population) than NC so maybe they should stay home more often.

It is true that the winters lately in Ireland have had longer cold snaps than usual. If there is a secret that the Irish know that allows safe travel on ice then I think they (or you) would be kind to share it with us.
They would close if there was heavy SNOW and ICE but the way the news coverage was its ridiculous. companies don't close on a day like yesterday and I have relatives in London, My SIL lived in Scotland and I can say they don't close either when there is ice, heavy snow sometimes but not ice. They give warning on the weather forecast and the roads are salted but given we have cold winters and springs for too many weeks people have to get out and get to work to eat.There is still ice they don't get it all when they treat it and in fact two years ago we ran out of grit and salt to treat the roads there was that much snow.

We lived in the mountains and drove a 4x4 with caution. The lakes froze over that contained Dublin city's water supply but we would take our time driving unlike the driving I saw yesterday or the driving I see when its raining(I think some people think they are Nascar drivers and usually a lot of the time on the cell phone too) the don't consider lowering their speed, braking distances, hydoplaning etc according to the road conditions. I saw one idiot yesterday speeding down Bryant Farms/Elm lane yesterday anyone near Blakeney knows its a awkward bend at the gas station with a 25 mph speed limit but this person was speeding and then breaking hard into the bend!! they are asking for trouble.

Other U.S cities get black ice, Chicago, NYC and the place doesn't close down.
For the record kids don't get bused to school in Ireland they walk or get dropped off by parents. It takes a lot of snow for a snow day.We had cold snowy winters with -15C lots of our neighbors with no water because it was so cold.Public transport doesn't use chains either although they would stop the route where I was living because of the steep gradient. Rear drive vehicles where useless too.It was as simple as you don't go to work you don't get paid.
Businesses have to open, people have to eat people walk or they drive WITH caution, keep your distance, Slow down.
I think people need to be cautious but the news every few minutes breaking news seriously.
Like many transplants I love Charlotte and I'm not knocking it.

Last edited by erinlou; 01-26-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,957,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well you chose an interesting post to quote then. The post you quoted from swampfoxer was specifically complaining that they shouldn't interrupt what was on TV because a scroll on the bottom of the screen would suffice. Which is exactly what they do if there is an alert during sporting events.
I don't see where what I posted was incompatible with this. Again I said nothing about the scrolling tape. The irony, which you completely miss, is that if all their weather event hyperventilating does nothing but reproduce the same results as that of a scrolling tape, then it's completely unnecessary and irrelevant. This was the real point.

mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-27-2013 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: OT

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Depends on your definition of "interrupt" is. Folks got bat nuts when XFactor has a weather crawl. They might fully preempt but there are FCC rules on the matter.
This rule states that IF emergency information is provided by a station then it has to be in a form that is useful to both blind and deaf people. It does not specifically give guidelines if and when a station must provide the actual interruption. IMO, the only FCC requirement would be if the emergency broadcast network is activated. However if you can find a rule that would state otherwise, then I can accept that.

Interestingly, a scrolling tape, since a couple of people think I need to know about it would not qualify as a emergency notification under this rule since it's useless to the blind. I appreciate that you brought it to our attention.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Quote:
I don't see where what I posted was incompatible with this. Again I said nothing about the scrolling tape. The irony, which you completely miss, is that if all their weather event hyperventilating does nothing but reproduce the same results as that of a scrolling tape, then it's completely unnecessary and irrelevant. This was the real point.

I'm sure most got this. (except for you and the party from kings mountain) In your case, since you are critiquing posts, I recommend that you focuse on responding to the topic instead of only creating posts to criticize others. You might have figure these things out leading to more enjoyment of the forum.

I'm just saying it was odd that directly in response to swampfoxer's post saying he/she didn't like when TV shows were interrupted for most often non-emergency alerts, you called this exact practice "news you can count on."

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-27-2013 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: orphan- the post you replied to was edited

Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
..... "news you can count on."
Likewise sarcasm is difficult to recognise when you are more focused on the messenger than the message. You didn't this either.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,748,067 times
It's not always easy to detect sarcasm through a computer screen. That said, I know you're not a big fan of the local news stations, however in the post I was referring to you really didn't make any comments suggesting your opinion of them.

In fact, you later said this:

Quote:
Oh I know the reasons. The point is that you can't count on the news as they like to suggest.
Which really does suggest that you think the news is at least somewhat reliable, except when sports are on.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Agree to agree or agree to dis agree, lets move on instead of bickering on same little thing.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or