U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,010 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Reputation: 9034

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What does this mean?

The 4 Charlotte stations that produce local news are own by COX, Raycom, Belo and Bahakel. According to Wiki, none of them own any TV stations in the Philly area. Cox, Raycom & Belo, (WSOC, WBTV, and WCNC respectively) are holding companies and own a lot of stations. Bahakel, (WCCB - FoxCharlotte) is locally owned and only have a few other Southern stations. I assume the news directors report up the management chain to their respective corporate parents. So I don't see a Philly connection.
There are employee connections. That is not the same as corporate connections. WCNC has been know to cooperate with WCAU (the NBC O & O in Philadelphia) on investigative packages.

Regardless, this thread is about weather. The only difference in the way that a weather situation is handled here is that stations there tend to have larger news staffs, so more people to put on the street, & this market is larger, geographically. That means that there is more face time for the meteorologists here & less reporters falling on their butts on the ice.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-27-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,664,448 times
Reputation: 1439
It seems to be WSOC's policy to stay on live fully pre-empting if there is a threat of a tornado in the form of a warning. Have they done this during a football game?

I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,960,311 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There are employee connections. That is not the same as corporate connections. WCNC has been know to cooperate with WCAU (the NBC O & O in Philadelphia) on investigative packages.
It's been my experience that corporations do not allow those in charge to discuss corporate processes, procedures, etc. with employees of competing companies. I assume they have trade secrets for handling news which they consider to be a competitive advantage. Those important enough to make decisions are required to maintain a NDA. So I'm not seeing how this could happen.

In regards to NBC specifically, NBC maintains the NBC News Channel here in CLT. (a hold over from the Overnight Days) WCNC shares a joint facility with them off Tyvola Rd. WCAU is actually owned by NBC/Comcast and their HQ is in Philly. Hence I can see some NBC connections between the two places. WCNC obviously has to have contact with it's national network. I'm willing to bet that Belo and NBC have an extensive contract with each other. Especially given CLT's bad past with NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,960,311 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It seems to be WSOC's policy to stay on live fully pre-empting if there is a threat of a tornado in the form of a warning. Have they done this during a football game?
I seem to remember at least once this past year when there was a bad storm on the weekend, and there was no news to be found. WSOC wasn't even doing anything special on their dedicated weather channel on 9.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,010 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Reputation: 9034
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's been my experience that corporations do not allow those in charge to discuss corporate processes, procedures, etc. with employees of competing companies. I assume they have trade secrets for handling news which they consider to be a competitive advantage. Those important enough to make decisions are required to maintain a NDA. So I'm not seeing how this could happen.

In regards to NBC specifically, NBC maintains the NBC News Channel here in CLT. (a hold over from the Overnight Days) WCNC shares a joint facility with them off Tyvola Rd. WCAU is actually owned by NBC/Comcast and their HQ is in Philly. Hence I can see some NBC connections between the two places. WCNC obviously has to have contact with it's national network. I'm willing to bet that Belo and NBC have an extensive contract with each other. Especially given CLT's bad past with NBC.
Weather preemptions are not trade secrets. Stations consult on many levels within the same market & in different markets. Stations sometimes pool equipment &/or technicians.

There are individuals in the Charlotte market, who are not on camera,who have parlayed stints in Philadelphia stations into higher level positions in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,960,311 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Weather preemptions are not trade secrets.
I disagree. Your first response to me on this subject is that in regards to sports it involves huge amounts of money. Maybe you are not familiar with the corporate world, but in my experience, huge amounts of money at stake in a corporation always involve corporate confidential information that isn't to be shared with others. In addition, you said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thousands of dollars are involved when pro-sports commercials are not aired. ... Local spots may be bumped during a game to update for weather, but not the game itself. ...
The bold part means an internal decision making process on this is taking place and I'm willing to bet that confidential corporate procedures/guidelines are used as guidelines for making this determination. Ultimately it's all about gathering ratings and stations are very very competitive when it comes to that. Else there wouldn't be, as you say, $$$ at stake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,664,448 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's been my experience that corporations do not allow those in charge to discuss corporate processes, procedures, etc. with employees of competing companies. I assume they have trade secrets for handling news which they consider to be a competitive advantage. Those important enough to make decisions are required to maintain a NDA. So I'm not seeing how this could happen.

In regards to NBC specifically, NBC maintains the NBC News Channel here in CLT. (a hold over from the Overnight Days) WCNC shares a joint facility with them off Tyvola Rd. WCAU is actually owned by NBC/Comcast and their HQ is in Philly. Hence I can see some NBC connections between the two places. WCNC obviously has to have contact with it's national network. I'm willing to bet that Belo and NBC have an extensive contract with each other. Especially given CLT's bad past with NBC.
I'm a member of a national journalist association. There's plenty of talk and stuff. Of course not trade secrets and the locals just might stab each other for a lede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,664,448 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I seem to remember at least once this past year when there was a bad storm on the weekend, and there was no news to be found. WSOC wasn't even doing anything special on their dedicated weather channel on 9.2.
Ironically I don't know anyone in person from WSOC even though that's the one I watch. We'll have to revisit this in the spring but I do recall specifically them being under the gun and explaining on air what their policy was. It might be tornado warnings instead of severe tstorm.

BTW, I asked a News 14 reporter about what you said about the number of wrecks compared to say the previous Friday. I got no answer. I told him it was cheap news. Without contrast it wasn't worth anything.

OTOH Medic is who pushed the info out but why? Maybe the stations asked or maybe Medic wanted some press.

Either way you gave me food for thought and I'm going to remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,960,311 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm a member of a national journalist association. There's plenty of talk and stuff. Of course not trade secrets and the locals just might stab each other for a lede.
I was in the same for engineers including the local chapter. While engineers will socialise with others in their field, they all know not to discuss what their businesses do, how they do it, and anything else deemed confidential by the places they work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,960,311 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
....
BTW, I asked a News 14 reporter about what you said about the number of wrecks compared to say the previous Friday. I got no answer. I told him it was cheap news. Without contrast it wasn't worth anything.
Yes indeed. There are no baselines ever established and the days of when a counterpoint is presented are long gone. I do consider News 14 to have slightly higher standards than the mostly tablodistic broadcast news, but unfortunately they don't really compete in the market. If you don't subscribe to cable you can't get it. It's really a shame they don't make it more available.

(I assume you mean News 14 on TWC and not the Channel 14 News on WHKY which also transmits in CLT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top