U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM

373 posts, read 671,699 times

Advertisements

Well.
I have come to the belief that Charlotte weather men/women must be from Mayan desent.
Every time there is a snow flake in the atmosphere, it is the end of the world.
I think this could be said of Charlotte and most NC elected officials as well.

I mean, a patch of ice on the ground shuts down the government and all schools and gets the National Guard set and ready at Def Con 4. Its good to know our communities have a military armed with salt and brine and with state of the art snow plows and the latest hand held shovels to defend the citizens agains the tyranny of winter season.

I will try and catch some reality tv show about "Preppers" or "Dooms Dayers" too make sure I know what to do this weekend. If nothing else I will be stocked on the essentials to survive this Ice Blast.
I would say a box of my favorite candy bars will suffice for the night:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,482,719 times
Years ago I worked for Northern Telecom. The headuarters in Ottawa eventually had to get used to how NC people would not show up to work when there was an inch or more of snow ... cancel all teleconference meetings that day etc, even if they could not really understand it.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,487,772 times
It has a lot to do with the city not having enough equipment to properly treat its roads.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM

129 posts, read 194,212 times
I'm from Ireland the last few winters we had were harsh, black ice is common during the winters and spring, we often ran out of salt to clear the roads when there was lots of snow and ice, there is no such thing as businesses closing or schools. Before we moved to Charlotte I had heard that the south closes down from a southern friend but I didn't believe it until I was here.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,195,364 times
i couldn't deposit my check today because the banks closed early...

come on!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM

372 posts, read 564,476 times
Deal with it.....I'm sorry that a store or restaurant closed a little early to inconvinience you....I'm not so sure why people who move here and complain about things stay here....I know some people are here due to a job transfer, but all the complainers here are not. Go back to the north or wherever you are from. Personally, I enjoyed knocking off early so I could enjoy spending time with my family.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM

373 posts, read 671,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Deal with it.....I'm sorry that a store or restaurant closed a little early to inconvinience you....I'm not so sure why people who move here and complain about things stay here....I know some people are here due to a job transfer, but all the complainers here are not. Go back to the north or wherever you are from. Personally, I enjoyed knocking off early so I could enjoy spending time with my family.
I am from here, born and raised.

The weather broadcasts from local news is rediculous and always has been.
If there is a dark cloud in the sky in the Summer, they break into all broadcasts to warn you of the impending possible doom the raincloud can cause.
In the winter, one snow flake and the Ice Blast is upon us.
Government approach to cold weather in the Carolinas has always been dumb as well.

I don't mind the days off. If I am at the house or in my car due to this, I would like to be entertained by tv and/or radio without the breaking news every 5 minutes with weather reports.

Clearly you have not had the best candy bar in the world or you would not be so grumpy.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 PM

372 posts, read 564,476 times
Ok, I totally agree with you on the weather reports....especially in the spring and summer when there's a nasty storm anywhere in the Charlotte viewing area that comprises about 18 counties. I live in Steele Creek and I get frustrated that I am missing a show because there is a nasty storm in Statesville....speaking of weather forecasts, is it just me or does Eric Thomas on channel 3 freak anyone else out???? He'll do his little commercial promoting the 11pm forecast, and after he says his piece, instead of shutting his mouth, it just stays wide open!!!! It's just annoying to me for whatever reason....It just dawned on me as well that WCNC didn't name today's weather, Winter Storm 2013"!!!! Brad Panovich is slipping!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,665,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Well.
I have come to the belief that Charlotte weather men/women must be from Mayan desent.
Every time there is a snow flake in the atmosphere, it is the end of the world.
I think this could be said of Charlotte and most NC elected officials as well.

I mean, a patch of ice on the ground shuts down the government and all schools and gets the National Guard set and ready at Def Con 4. Its good to know our communities have a military armed with salt and brine and with state of the art snow plows and the latest hand held shovels to defend the citizens agains the tyranny of winter season.

I will try and catch some reality tv show about "Preppers" or "Dooms Dayers" too make sure I know what to do this weekend. If nothing else I will be stocked on the essentials to survive this Ice Blast.
I would say a box of my favorite candy bars will suffice for the night:
I don't think you watch WSOC. They seemed pretty measure throughout the bad weather. Sure they were on TV more but isn't that a good thing when there were three overturned vehicles at once on three different parts of 485?

And Def Con 4 really isn't bad. It's Def Con 1 you want to avoid. I can't find anything to support the idea that the National Guard was involved with the weather today. Perhaps you can provide a link?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,754,981 times
I think most people here, native or transplant, laugh at the weather people when they make these doomsday reports. You can tell they live for these moments.

Yes, weather is important to a lot of people and not to discount the possibility that they may have saved lives with their reporting.

My biggest complaint is when every local network will delay normal broadcasting for 2 hours to keep us informed of an impending thunderstorm that "may" have a funnel cloud, when a simple scroll along the bottom of the screen will suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or