Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,964 times

Advertisements

I am a college student in Asheville, and recently received my first ever speeding ticket, for 73 in a 55. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do regarding this ticket.
What really got to me though was that I have also been charged with not having a valid license, valid registration, or proper vehicle inspection.
I am from California and am only in North Carolina to attend college. It was my understanding that this means I don't need to get a NC license, but I told the officer I was a student, and he wrote the ticket anyway. My California license is of course valid.
The car I was driving DOES have valid registration, but it is California registration. It is true it hasn't been inspected because the state of California waived the inspection requirement as the car and I am out of the state for school.
I have looked up the sections I was written up for, and there is no mention of exceptions for out-of-state college students. It seems crazy that these could be valid charges. Can anyone help me find out if they really are?

Many, many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,964 times
I am getting so frustrated because I can't find a clear answer. Also having moments of panic.
Please help.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Friend the auto registration and drivers licence requirement is often tied to lenght of time you have lived in North Carolina . No need for an attorney but you should appear in court and plead for a reduced charge on the speeding and then let the judge explain the rules. Im sure their are things a visitor can qualify for a permanent resident would not so the judge may just throw the license issue and car inspection etc out

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
IIRC, and it's been a (fortunately) long time since I had any reason to know this, you can lose your license for 73 in a 55. Add in the other supposed charges and you may have some real issues. I would NOT wait until the court appearance to find out exactly where you stand. I would call the DA's office and talk with someone who can explain the charges and your options. If that doesn't work (try again) I would contact an attorney for at least a consultation.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Question is did you not know that the number one thing that brings in more money in fines and fees to college towns are out of town college kids.? You find complaints like this all the time near college campuses and college towns... Out of town speeders often dont get no break. The problem will require money I'm afraid.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addiepaddey View Post
I have looked up the sections I was written up for, and there is no mention of exceptions for out-of-state college students. It seems crazy that these could be valid charges. Can anyone help me find out if they really are?..
NC does recognize valid registrations from other states. If the vehicle is properly registered in California, then it's fine here. You have to provide proper proof. It's the same for drivers licenses. NC does require you to register in this state after you become a resident. As a visiting student you are not a resident. Either the policeman did not understand this, or you did not have the proper documentation. Same for inspections. If everything is in order, then it sounds as if you can provide the proper documentation to the court clerk, they will toss this out.

As far as the speeding ticket goes, you were clocked for more than 15 mph over the posted speed limit and that speed limit was 55. This is known as excessive speeding and you have no choice on this one. You will need to go to court. It's a lot more serious than speeding and technically you could get get your license revoked over this one (especially if you are still a teenager), but if it is your first time then typically you will pay a hefty fine and court costs. If you are lucky, they might reduce it to less than 15 then you will pay a smaller fine and court costs. Either way be prepared to pay out money for this charge and they may also report it to your car insurance company.

If you want more detail, go to NCDOT.gov and look at the driver's handbook. You can also look at Chapter 20 of the NC state statutes.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,944 times
Go to court on the appointed day. Explain to the D.A. that your are a student (have your student ID as proof). Ask the D.A. if you can be granted a "9 over" the speed limit and can take the Safety and Health Council Safe Driving 4 hour course ($60). Odds are you will get your request approved, but you will also owe something in the neighborhood of $190 court costs. Take the course and the speeding will not show up for insurance points, depending on CA's insurance laws (it's a one-time freebee in NC, but added back if there is a 2nd speeding ticket). As for the registration and license issue, students are granted a waiver on the issue because they are not permanent residents here. I don't know what the cop was thinking (unless Barney needs some Cliff Notes on Chapter 21 of the General Statutes).

P.S. Slow down and pay attention. That's what I said to myself the last time I got my ticket for 20 over in 35 zone. Got a break and took the class. No attorney involved, which is a waste in most instances.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Friend the auto registration and drivers licence requirement is often tied to lenght of time you have lived in North Carolina . No need for an attorney but you should appear in court and plead for a reduced charge on the speeding and then let the judge explain the rules. Im sure their are things a visitor can qualify for a permanent resident would not so the judge may just throw the license issue and car inspection etc out
You can't just show up and plea to a lower charge. That isn't up to you. That's up to the DA. You could at least provide a link that our government has been kind enough to make for us that tells you exactly how to do this.

Also, anyone going more than 15mph over the speed limit and has multiple hits on the stop should talk to an attorney if they can afford to. If they can't they'll be paying more over time chances are.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiepaddey View Post
I am a college student in Asheville, and recently received my first ever speeding ticket, for 73 in a 55. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do regarding this ticket.
What really got to me though was that I have also been charged with not having a valid license, valid registration, or proper vehicle inspection.
I am from California and am only in North Carolina to attend college. It was my understanding that this means I don't need to get a NC license, but I told the officer I was a student, and he wrote the ticket anyway. My California license is of course valid.
The car I was driving DOES have valid registration, but it is California registration. It is true it hasn't been inspected because the state of California waived the inspection requirement as the car and I am out of the state for school.
I have looked up the sections I was written up for, and there is no mention of exceptions for out-of-state college students. It seems crazy that these could be valid charges. Can anyone help me find out if they really are?

Many, many thanks.
You said where your car is from, where you go to school but I don't see where you say where the ticket was from. Assuming it's in Mecklenburg you should meet with the DA before your court date to see what they are willing to do. Going 15+ over and having multiple citations is not good.

For Mecklenburg you can find out more here:

DA's Office - Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, NC

You can try that first but considering the offense a lawyer might be cheaper in the longrun.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Question is did you not know that the number one thing that brings in more money in fines and fees to college towns are out of town college kids.? You find complaints like this all the time near college campuses and college towns... Out of town speeders often dont get no break. The problem will require money I'm afraid.
He didn't say he got the ticket in a college town. That is unknown. If he did get it there then this is the wrong forum since Charlotte is not generally thought of as a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte