U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,637,116 times
Reputation: 1438

Advertisements

What is your experience and opinion for getting air ducts professionally cleaned in Charlotte? I'm talking about for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,378 posts, read 61,723,541 times
Reputation: 31921
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What is your experience and opinion for getting air ducts professionally cleaned...
I've found that using good filters and changing them when needed works very well.

Quote:
...there’s no proof that cleaning ducts prevents health problems... Nor do studies conclusively
show that dirty ducts increase levels of airborne particulates in a home.
Scam Alert: Avoid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
 
2,826 posts, read 4,131,019 times
Reputation: 6808
My neighbor had it done (+-50 year old house) and said it was a real scam.
I wouldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What is your experience and opinion for getting air ducts professionally cleaned in Charlotte? I'm talking about for a house.
If have been good about changing filters, then it's a big waste of money. I've had both my systems replaced and both times the ducts were absolutely clean inside. They put inspection hatches in the new distribution systems so the inside can be examined at anytime.

Where you might have a problem is if your distribution system is built out of foil backed insulation sheets that are cut and taped/glued together to form a distribution box and/or actual ductwork. Mold and other garbage can get into that insulation and unfortunately it can't be cleaned. it has to be replaced. (preferably with metal ducting then wrapped with insulation on the outside) You don't want to try and clean ductwork like this. It causes the insulation to break and it ends up being blown into your house and if there is any moisture introduced it can worse any mold problems.

My advice if you feel you need it, is to call in a reputable HVAC company and have them open it up and do an inspection. Else forget about it and wait until replacement time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,637,116 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If have been good about changing filters, then it's a big waste of money. I've had both my systems replaced and both times the ducts were absolutely clean inside. They put inspection hatches in the new distribution systems so the inside can be examined at anytime.

Where you might have a problem is if your distribution system is built out of foil backed insulation sheets that are cut and taped/glued together to form a distribution box and/or actual ductwork. Mold and other garbage can get into that insulation and unfortunately it can't be cleaned. it has to be replaced. (preferably with metal ducting then wrapped with insulation on the outside) You don't want to try and clean ductwork like this. It causes the insulation to break and it ends up being blown into your house and if there is any moisture introduced it can worse any mold problems.

My advice if you feel you need it, is to call in a reputable HVAC company and have them open it up and do an inspection. Else forget about it and wait until replacement time.
Good post. I talked with a friend about this over lunch where I accidentally ordered a $22 steak medium instead of medium rare.

He brought up the possibility of construction debris like he found in his gutters. Thinks like candy wrappers etc.

WSOC starting at 5pm tomorrow will be highlighting an investigative report. I'm guessing the vendors didn't buy enough advertising. Looks good on the previews with hidden cameras and stuff.

http://www.ncbroadcast.com/aws/NCAB/.../50833?ver=555

Last edited by GCharlotte; 01-27-2013 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times
Reputation: 1272
Thanks for mentioning that report. I'd be interested in seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,637,116 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Thanks for mentioning that report. I'd be interested in seeing it.
Whoops. Fix in edited message. Let me know if you find anything interesting. I think for presidential interrupts it isn't mandatory but the other option is for the station to go off the air. The goal is 10 minutes from when the Prez wants to speak. Not really on topic but interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
224 posts, read 625,113 times
Reputation: 79
We got one of the air duct cleaning companies to come by. We had a coupon for $100 for cleaning them, but the guy just gave us an estimate for thousands of dollars worth of "necessary" things he would have to do, then left when my husband said we'd need to research it. No cleaning - he didn't even replace the vent covers. We checked into it and it turns out that with the type of ducting we have, what he was suggesting was detrimental and would have voided our warranty. Additionally, my husband grabbed a plumbing camera a little while later and found absolutely no trace of what this guy was talking about in our ducts - we think he must have carried dirty/moldy equipment with him to show people and convince them to buy. I forget the name of the company, but it turned out they were based in PA and just had a contractor down here. High pressure and scammy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,637,116 times
Reputation: 1438
Here's the story from WSOC who checked out three companies. One was accurate as to the need and the other two had whoppers of suggestions.

They also cover when/why you'd need it.

9 Investigates: Air duct cleaners | www.wsoctv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top