U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,060,654 times

Advertisements

I am at the tail end of my "price lock guarantee" and am 99% sure I will be dropping my TW Cable and going to Direct TV in a month or 2. Based on rates and technology this seems to be the right choice for me.

I have TW Internet right now and have been pleased with the service and would prefer to continue with this portion so I don't have to mess with another provider. Does anyone here just have TW Internet service? I am curious that without the price lock "deal" how much do they charge? When I call the 1-800 # and ask they get very defensive saying that if you don't bundle the services it is very expensive.

Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
I've had TW internet for at least 7 years and have never had cable service at this home. I have Turbo now, and pay about $44 a month, no contract.

Do a search on this forum. You'll find some interesting info on the subject.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,801,595 times
I bundled Time Warner services...can't really tell you how much they cost. Since moving here, I have only used Time Warner. I can tell you that since moving out of one neighborhood and moving to another I save almost $70 a month for phone, internet and cable. I was in shock with the savings.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
I signed up for TWC's internet only package about 2 years ago. I have the 30M/5M plan which requires Docsis 3.0 service. No contract and no up front fees were required. They gave me a $20 discount on the service for the first 12 months which made it cheaper than the 6M/512K plan I was getting from BellSouth(dba AT&T). After the 12 months was up, they sent a post card to me saying my plan had been automatically dropped by $11/month. So the net after the discount is that my bill went up $9. I was OK with that.

This plan is now $63/month. This plan also includes their wireless service which I don't use as I switched their modem to bridged mode and use my own wireless router. It's less than I expected to pay than when I signed up. Recently they added the modem rental fee but added the option to allow you to buy your on own Docsis 3.0. This added $3.99 (or something like that)/month.

During this time we dropped Dish Network and now get TV either OTA or via Internet via several Roku's and the HTPC/DVR setup. With the latest price increase adopted by both satellite companies this is saving more than $120/month. TWC's internet service is very cheap compared to that. We have found it's a much better TV experience.

Last edited by frewroad; 01-28-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,028,997 times
We pay $34/month for basic internet from Time Warner. We do a LOT of streaming via wifi & online gaming, and the service & speed is usually fine, no lag.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM

416 posts, read 809,466 times
TWC charges a bunch of different prices, so you are going to get different answers.

We went internet only after turning in our cable boxes 2 years ago. They were running a $34.95/year deal for Road Runner Standard then and we asked for it. They gave us that rate. It went up to $39.99 this past year. Now they want $48.95 starting next month. I'm going to have to call and negotiate with them when my contract runs out (they claim I can't negotiate right now so I'm stuck until 2/6 when their new deals come out).

I can tell you that they are advertising $19.99 for Road Runner Lite to new customers. They are still advertising $34.99 for standard for new customers. I'd ask for these rates depending on what speed you want. I think Lite would be cutting it really close on speed if you wanted to wirelessly stream HD content.

Also, if you cut off cable but keep internet, check your wall outlet to see if you still get basic cable (70 channels or so). They have to send someone out to put a filter on your line to block cable if you keep the internet. A lot of times they just don't do this as its not cost effective for them to pay for a filter and pay a tech to install it. They'd rather just leave the cable part on.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
I just looked at my bill. $39.23 for Turbo.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,164,283 times
They have a "Double Play" package right now for $49 per month with Turbo Internet and Broadcast Cable channels. This was actually cheaper than my old Internet Only package.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,691,913 times
We have turbo -$35 per month.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,130,332 times
If you drop the package, you drop the package pricing - it is a code in the system that applies the discount and jumps the price to "retail" price for whichever service you have on the account. I think standard internet is $45 or $50 without a discount applied.

You have to ask for a new discount to be applied to your service in order to get it cheaper, and you may have to deal with the retention department to get this done. The discount will be for 12 or 24 months, depending on what kind of promos the marketing department has out there this month, and the promos do change from week to week. Don't take your frustration out on the CSR, their hands are tied on the situation. They can tell you if there is a current promo going on, but they can't tell you how long it will be valid for or if there will be any upcoming promos. Upper management does a fantastic job of not leaking that info out to the CSRs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte