U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In the case of WBTV, Face the Nation on Sunday morning is now easily beating NBC's Meet the Press in the ratings. That shrill prune David Gregory is driving off viewers. This is why I assumed that WBTV picked up the entire hour of Face the Nation where before the Charlotte area only got the first 30 minutes. I do hope that CBS cracks down on Raycom for showing infomercials during the daytime on the weekend if they don't buy the station.

NBC has been at a disadvantage in Charlotte since the 1970s when WSOC dropped them for ABC. WCNC hasn't even invested in HD equipment for its news broadcasts. So I can see where they might want to do something.
Meet the Press airs 10 - 11. Face the Nation is now 11 - 12. I hope that Face the Nation is pummeling the WCNC public affairs show, which is the worst that I've ever seen. After Tim Russert's death, I would have preferred Andrea Mitchel as the host, but it is what it is.

Networks can't control affiliates airing infomercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM

412 posts, read 811,854 times
I don't particularly see Fox letting 18 have the CW affiliation. I see them Putting Fox on 46, CW on 55, leaving MYtv to 18 or maybe a subchannel of 55. Giving 18 CW is keeping a competitor in business.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
I don't particularly see Fox letting 18 have the CW affiliation. I see them Putting Fox on 46, CW on 55, leaving MYtv to 18 or maybe a subchannel of 55. Giving 18 CW is keeping a competitor in business.
My TV is a sister network of Fox. The FCC would have to decide that.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Meet the Press airs 10 - 11. Face the Nation is now 11 - 12. I hope that Face the Nation is pummeling the WCNC public affairs show, which is the worst that I've ever seen. After Tim Russert's death, I would have preferred Andrea Mitchel as the host, but it is what it is.
I don't think it's an issue of them being on at the same time.

Face the Nation Makes Expansion Permanent -- Daily Intelligencer

Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times
Quote:
Hmm. I'd have to wonder of Comcast Cable (owner of NBC) would be interested in acquiring WCNC
I thought Cabletown owned NBC.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,320,797 times
WBTV has always been a top performing CBS affiliate going back to the Jefferson-Pilot days. But it appears in recent years that Raycom has been operating on the cheap so a CBS acquisition could be a good thing. But don't know that it will happen. And at one time years ago former sister station WBT Radio was owned by CBS. As for WCNC, they need to upgrade their news to HD and tone down some of the blue on their news studio. And since most Fox O&O stations have their own successful news broadcasts, it seems likely that WJZY will develop theirs. But don't know what will happen to the news on WCCB but it may stay if it remains profitable. But clearly the programming on WCCB will be changing, whatever is decided.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
... But it appears in recent years that Raycom has been operating on the cheap ....
Yes indeed. Their programming represents the absolute minimum needed to keep the license. (and that's debatable) They only show News, Sports, Network Programming, and lots of commercials. It's a rather poor selection compared to what Channel 3 used to be. Obviously they are happy collecting cable subscription fees and don't try to compete much at the broadcast level.

I'd like to see CBS buy them, but I don't see Raycom giving it up.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed. Their programming represents the absolute minimum needed to keep the license. (and that's debatable) They only show News, Sports, Network Programming, and lots of commercials. It's a rather poor selection compared to what Channel 3 used to be. Obviously they are happy collecting cable subscription fees and don't try to compete much at the broadcast level.

I'd like to see CBS buy them, but I don't see Raycom giving it up.
Honestly, I could see an NBC acquisition prior to a CBS acquisition. Oh & they wouldn't have to buy WCNC. They could buy WCCB's license. Stranger things have happened. Who actually owns the building where the NBC News operation is located? NBC or WCNC?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
.... They could buy WCCB's license. ....
I was under the impression that you could not own a TV license without the means to broadcast TV. If they own the entire facility off Tyvola Rd. that might work for them, but if not, then I'm not sure. BTW, the actual UHF transmission tower is at the antenna farm located in Dallas, NC. I would be surprised if NBC owns that since they normally would no need for it.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that you could not own a TV license without the means to broadcast TV. If they own the entire facility off Tyvola Rd. that might work for them, but if not, then I'm not sure. BTW, the actual UHF transmission tower is at the antenna farm located in Dallas, NC. I would be surprised if NBC owns that since they normally would no need for it.
NBC would not own the tower, now, but they would own a dish to uplink & downlink to & from their satellite transponder.

I'm not saying that they will buy WCCB, but they could buy the license & then pull their programming to it. If they don't own the current building, they could build a new facility. Lots of possibilities are there. I've seen switch-ups involving O & Os in 2 markets. I see an ABC acquisition as the least likely because Cox is a fairly strong company (They, too, own cable systems.)

To be honest, I haven't studied their signals, but I get much better reception from 18 than from 36.

I'm not sure, but Charlotte may be about to move up in the market rankings. I saw an add for Nielsen for a person to make in-person cold calls, to interview potential people for meters. They only meter the top 20 markets. (It used to be the top 10, but I recently saw 20, which surprised me.) If this becomes a metered market, the networks will want more control.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-29-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or