U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 AM

11 posts, read 27,854 times

Advertisements

We bought a single family home in Mecklenburg county 1.5 years ago. It was previously bank-owned. I never transferred the water in my name. We have yet to receive a water bill. The water has never been turned off/disconnected. Will I one day get a huge bill with late payment charges? Or do you think the bank still is paying this on its books. There is no HOA. I also have never paid for garbage collection. I figured i would get a bill for these services but never have. Morally, I feel like I should transfer these services into my name and begin paying...however, I do not want this to result in a large balloon payment for their mistake. Any advice? Should i ride this out until they cut my water off one day?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,939,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sareeep View Post
....Will I one day get a huge bill with late payment charges? ....
Yes. You better call CMUD and get it worked out. If you are using the water then I'm unsure why you don't expect to have to pay for it.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 AM

162 posts, read 350,608 times
Wow, you waited over a year before realizing something might be wrong? I called 311 after only a month of living in my new home to verify everything was in order when I didn't see mine. Took 5 weeks, but my first bill finally arrived a few days ago.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,023,672 times
Quote:
Should i ride this out until they cut my water off one day?
You *could*, but why delay the inevitable? It will just add up more, the longer you go.

When you come clean, I know from experience the utilities dept. will work with folks on payment plans that are reasonable & affordable. Going to the office is better than talking by phone.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM

372 posts, read 562,000 times
Depending on where you live, garbage collection is included in your taxes.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,265,542 times
Quote:
We bought a single family home in Mecklenburg county 1.5 years ago. It was previously bank-owned. I never transferred the water in my name. We have yet to receive a water bill. The water has never been turned off/disconnected. Will I one day get a huge bill with late payment charges? Or do you think the bank still is paying this on its books. There is no HOA. I also have never paid for garbage collection. I figured i would get a bill for these services but never have. Morally, I feel like I should transfer these services into my name and begin paying...however, I do not want this to result in a large balloon payment for their mistake. Any advice? Should i ride this out until they cut my water off one day?
It's not their mistake. You've been using the service without paying for it, knowingly, because didn't put it in your name. Why didn't you transfer it? Morally you know what the right thing to do is, but only if it doesn't cause you a problem?

Last edited by vmaxnc; 01-30-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
You are in the county? Maybe you have a well????

Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,265,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Stealing? A bit harsh me thinks. Someone's paying it by mistake perhaps but if not they'd be disconnected.

My brother has a weird problem with his landlord not giving him the electric bill. There can be weird back stories.
I toned down my harshness. Someone is paying it by mistake. Someone else is not paying it, and not by mistake.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM

39 posts, read 54,336 times
This will eventually bite you in the arse. You better correct it. I can't image that the bank would just let you off scott free once they realize the error. You really should have done the right thing from the beginning.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM

820 posts, read 1,527,949 times
One way or the other, you will be getting a bill and have to pay, whether it's from the bank or CMUD. When you bought, there's probably a clause that says from the signing date, you are responsible for water, electric power, and any other charges associated with the property. I would call CMUD and transfer the water in your name and then asked whose name is currently on the account so you know who will be billing you.

Let us know how this works out. It could be a great lesson for anyone buying a previously owned house, especially a short sale or foreclosure.

Good luck and be contrite if you see that will help you get some slack in repaying the water bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or