Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why would we need to look at docs? That is common knowledge and old news.

Hence why I kept saying "we're not talking about the current starter line already under construction and funded"

Ray LaHood was there, they had shovels in a sand box... It was all over the news. Better yet, when's the last time you've been down trade street? It's obvious.

I'm not trying to be rude at all, but it people are going to be so vocally opposed, they should know the difference between the starter line which is funded and has been under construction for 2 months and the current extension which won't use trolleys which is what the topic at hand is.... The 2nd extension.
Geeez. Take a breath, 485.

I agree; it is old news. Just wondered if folks had read that "old news."

And as far as the shovels in the sandbox . . . I brought it up only b/c of my contention that Presby benefits the most from this project.

Not everybody pays rapt attention to the local news stations. I sure don't.

That little starter line won't get but how many feet on $25M, btw. I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it and I believe I said something about it then -- in another thread.

As I have said before - it all comes down to money -- and who is footing the bill . . . coupled with what our priorities are and who benefits the greatest from the infusion of $$$$.

You and I have a fundamental difference of opinion, it appears, about all that but I am not trying to argue with you. You are welcome to your opinion -- I am just stating mine.

And as far as Trade Street, I readily admit - I avoid "uptown" Charlotte studiously, especially streets that are being torn up. Too many dollars spend in years past, on re-aligning the front end of my car -- and replacing tires -- from the potholes between my house and Trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...When you take me on on this topic, I will assume that you are trying to pick a fight, especially because you were not being addressed. ....
This is what someone says who doesn't have any real facts that can be proven. You have basically accused Charlotte's transit organizations of playing dirty with Gastonia, and there is absolutely nothing to support those allegations. ANYONE, including yourself, can take the time to look at the public records, and determine what you have said is simply wrong.

It's easy enough for you to disprove what I've said. Go get the link to the MTC records that describe the attempts for Gaston county to get CATS to consider this project from those minutes. A link will be fine. If it's there, then I will admit I was incorrect.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude at all, but it people are going to be so vocally opposed, they should know the difference between the starter line which is funded and has been under construction for 2 months and the current extension which won't use trolleys which is what the topic at hand is.... The 2nd extension
There is no current extension because that was voted down by the city council. However even with that, there was no decision on the vehicles so I don't know how you can make that claim. Furthermore, they have identified a serious conflict between running electric lines through The Square, when that would prevent city events from being held there.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There is no current extension because that was voted down by the city council. However even with that, there was no decision on the vehicles so I don't know how you can make that claim. Furthermore, they have identified a serious conflict between running electric lines through The Square, when that would prevent city events from being held there.

Be my guest to waltz on over to the Government center and ask mayor Foxx will replica trolleys or modern streetcars be used on the extension. There not gonna run electric lines through out the whole line and exclude trade/tryon.

There are other places events can be held in the coming months and in the future. Even Stonewall street will be rivaling College street in the coming years.

Romare Bearden park and Knights stadium are great alternatives. But I can assure you.... They will be modern streetcars... Like those in Portland.

And as far as there being no extension.... We all know that. Hence the discussion. But rest assured our mayor (who i think is an amazing mayor) will continue to fight for it.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Geeez. Take a breath, 485.

I agree; it is old news. Just wondered if folks had read that "old news."

And as far as the shovels in the sandbox . . . I brought it up only b/c of my contention that Presby benefits the most from this project.

Not everybody pays rapt attention to the local news stations. I sure don't.

That little starter line won't get but how many feet on $25M, btw. I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it and I believe I said something about it then -- in another thread.

As I have said before - it all comes down to money -- and who is footing the bill . . . coupled with what our priorities are and who benefits the greatest from the infusion of $$$$.

You and I have a fundamental difference of opinion, it appears, about all that but I am not trying to argue with you. You are welcome to your opinion -- I am just stating mine.

And as far as Trade Street, I readily admit - I avoid "uptown" Charlotte studiously, especially streets that are being torn up. Too many dollars spend in years past, on re-aligning the front end of my car -- and replacing tires -- from the potholes between my house and Trade.

I'm fine, by the way, with differences of opinions. As I've said withing at least a few blocks of this line; CPCC, North Eastern University, Charlotte School of Law, JCS University, J&W University, Blue Line, Red Line, Amtrak, BOA HQ, epicenter, Presby hospital, Elizabeth/midtown, Bobcats arena, government center, etc. Will all be connected.

I think this would be a great route and really help struggling east/west Charlotte and uptown and midtown and Gateway area.

I can accept people not thinking this route is a great route. My problem lies with people thinking light rail on this route makes sense and claims Mr. Rogers will be carrying people throughout Charlotte.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is what someone says who doesn't have any real facts that can be proven. You have basically accused Charlotte's transit organizations of playing dirty with Gastonia, and there is absolutely nothing to support those allegations. ANYONE, including yourself, can take the time to look at the public records, and determine what you have said is simply wrong.

It's easy enough for you to disprove what I've said. Go get the link to the MTC records that describe the attempts for Gaston county to get CATS to consider this project from those minutes. A link will be fine. If it's there, then I will admit I was incorrect.
You are allowed your opinion. You called me a liar, it's your responsibility to shut up or prove yourself right. I have something to do besides dig through years of minutes. I can easily prove that the P&N has been resurected. https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/default.aspx?c=4 https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=6080

Do not communicate with me on this topic again.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
You are allowed your opinion. You called me a liar, it's your responsibility to shut up or prove yourself right. I have something to do besides dig through years of minutes. I can easily prove that the P&N has been resurected. https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/default.aspx?c=4 https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=6080

Do not communicate with me on this topic again.
Glad you posted this - I had spent about an hour hunting for the info from the 80s when I know a system was discussed b/n Charlotte and Gastonia . . . as part of an larger regional transit plan - a "commuter rail" - and seems Meck backed out . . . I can't remember the details. Anyway, I wasn't able to find the docs I had hoped were out there . . . This was discussed as part of the "corridor development" that included construction of 321 from Taylorsville to Charlotte . . . but it has been so very long ago that I can't recall what occurred with that plan.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
That's true, but people living in Charlotte also hold jobs outside of Charlotte. What's the difference?
Maybe that for every person leaving charlotte to work we have perhaps 100 that come in as day workers to work. thats the differance

Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Glad you posted this - I had spent about an hour hunting for the info from the 80s when I know a system was discussed b/n Charlotte and Gastonia . . . as part of an larger regional transit plan - a "commuter rail" - and seems Meck backed out . . . I can't remember the details. Anyway, I wasn't able to find the docs I had hoped were out there . . . This was discussed as part of the "corridor development" that included construction of 321 from Taylorsville to Charlotte . . . but it has been so very long ago that I can't recall what occurred with that plan.
I'm glad that it helped you, Ani. There were a lot more press releases concerning the P & N, but I just posted the 1st & last. I posted a link to all of the former trolley systems in NC & the old P & N line was a trolley between Charlotte & Gastonia.

It's frustrating that all of those articles are gone. I know that I posted links but it's pointless to look for the threads that I posted them in. The links are broken.

I knew that if McCrory was elected it was going to get ugly, before the election, because of statements that I saw in the Kings Mountain Herald. This is not the Republican party that we grew up with. They've slashed unemployment, which will drive people onto welfare & passed a law to back out of the expanded Medicare that would save the state money. All of this is going on & Foxx thinks that if he throws a temper tantrum that McCroy won't pull that money. I think that we need another thread so people can guess how soon the money gets pulled.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Maybe that for every person leaving charlotte to work we have perhaps 100 that come in as day workers to work. thats the differance
Everyone is falling in towards Charllotte for jobs. Gastonia & Kings Mountain are trying desparately to get jobs in. Be happy every time that you see that jobs are coming to Gastonia, Kings Mountain & Mooresville. Those are the places getting the most jobs outside of Charlotte, at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte