Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Actually, in NC beyond a few exceptions, counties and cities are not allowed to fund highway construction. There are specific examples in Charlotte to the contrary of this and each one was specifically authorized by the NC General Assembly and Governor.
I'd like to see some of those examples. I say this because I've noticed that US 521 (a state funded road) now ends in Ballantyne. Before the Blue Line, US 521 merged with I-485, exited onto South Blvd, then headed northbound towards the Billy Graham Parkway. IMO, the state didn't actually "pay" for Charlotte's first rail line. I'm certain that the $125 million that NC fronted Charlotte for that rail line was cheaper than the state retaining ownership of US 521 north of Pineville.

Pay close attention to US 29/HWY 49's designation when the blue line extension construction starts. It seems to me that NC is getting their money back from Charlotte by handing state funded roads over to Charlotte. If I'm correct, then Foxx could EASILY call McCrory's bluff on this whole blue line extension funding threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd like to see some of those examples.
On 521 see this https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/...1_20030915.pdf

Notice the date. This was years before the LRT. Hwy 521 did not change when the blue line was constructed. It changed when I-485 was constructed. Prior to I-485, Hwy 521 went straight down South Blvd, through the old part of Pineville, and into SC.

After these changes and re-routing on I-485 and through Ballentyne, the NCDOT determined the points north I-485 no longer operated as a US Route and they simply changed the designation to secondary road. The US Route designation was removed. The state still funds the road as it was nothing but a name change. For example the portion of S. Blvd that was once US Hwy 521 is now NC SR 3998.

Hence your conclusion about the $125M paid by the NCDOT was incorrect.

On the Hwy29/Hwy 49 situation, the state will not be turning over funding responsibility to Charlotte.

Last edited by frewroad; 02-08-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

239 posts, read 376,793 times
it is completely AMAZING and MINDBOGLING how some of you know what goes on in the minds and offices of these city and government officials.
I am referring to some of you who makes immature accusations of what a city council member is thinking or what his/her intentions are.

Some of you type as if Mayor Foxx and others are your best friends, and you know their deepest, darkest secrets, lol.
I mean, im NEW to Charlotte, so im not an a fan of any of these politicians, by any means. But its amazing to me how much some people think they have the "inside info".

Just a little food for thought. You never know who is doing what, unless they make the info PUBLIC. You never know who/what might be impeeding them from getting the neccesary work done. As we can see with the current President, people "in charge" STILL have to go through various channels to get work accomplished. They just can' create an idea/law/etc and implement it.

As we all know, the world of politics is a very GRIMY, so we NEVER know the inside story of what goes into decision making. So I would encourage some of you to think about that before bashing what you THINK you know about these politicians.
It's great to have opinions, but name calling and bashing people that you know NOTHING about is kind of harsh

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
No tin foil is needed because....

In NC beyond a few exceptions, counties and cities are not allowed to fund highway construction. There are specific examples in Charlotte to the contrary of this and each one was specifically authorized by the NC General Assembly and Governor. In each case Charlotte made a case for handling it locally, the local delegation to the NC GA made the case, and the bill was approved which authorized it.
He said road projects and not highways. Don't know what was involved but there's been bonds and stuff. About $55m worth of stuff in the last CIP that I could find but it is awfully vague.

You can look at the current CIP here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/B...2016%20CIP.pdf

They are trying to pass a new one and had discussed it in the retreat that ended today. They are running out of time to get it done. The hold up of course is our friend the streetcar.

I think this also means that property taxes are going up no matter what. Streetcar or no.

You can also view CDOT road projects here:

Transportation Projects

Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
He said road projects and not highways. Don't know what was involved but there's been bonds and stuff. About $55m worth of stuff in the last CIP that I could find but it is awfully vague.
They are purposely made vague so that they can be used for almost anything. Things like using a similar bond package to purchase Eastland Mall.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
On 521 see this https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Route%20Changes/US521_20030915.pdf

Notice the date. This was years before the LRT. Hwy 521 did not change when the blue line was constructed. It changed when I-485 was constructed. Prior to I-485, Hwy 521 went straight down South Blvd, through the old part of Pineville, and into SC.

After these changes and re-routing on I-485 and through Ballentyne, the NCDOT determined the points north I-485 no longer operated as a US Route and they simply changed the designation to secondary road. The US Route designation was removed. The state still funds the road as it was nothing but a name change. For example the portion of S. Blvd that was once US Hwy 521 is now NC SR 3998.

Hence your conclusion about the $125M paid by the NCDOT was incorrect.

On the Hwy29/Hwy 49 situation, the state will not be turning over funding responsibility to Charlotte.
Well that clears things up. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I didn't even live in Charlotte between the late 90s and 2007. Most of what I know from that time period came from visiting and the internet. This might explain why I noticed the US 521 change-over after the light rail (the light rail had just started service when I returned to Charlotte).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
it is completely AMAZING and MINDBOGLING how some of you know what goes on in the minds and offices of these city and government officials.
I can't speak for others, but I've ran into the likes of Moira Quinn and Sonja Gantt a few times when I was walking uptown. I never really got to speak to Sonja much, but Moira and I had a few conversations while on the light rail a few years back. At one point, she was a reporter with one of the local news stations and I think she is with Charlotte center city partners now (but I could be wrong). Anyway, when you speak with one of the Charlotte Center City partners types, you get the instant impression that turning Charlotte into something that's "World Class" and livable is the #1 goal. Mass transit and high density development around uptown and transit corridors is a HUGE part of that "plan". Many (if not all) of the elected officials and members of the business community have all bought into to this philosophy.

However, fights and disagreements tend to break out because people disagree often on how Charlotte should get "there". In the case of the streetcar, it is IMO an argument of "sustainable property taxes" vs "the next step in Charlotte's transit evolution". It seems though that this simple argument has evolved into an argument of "west/east Charlottle not getting their fair share yet again". Throw in the black mayors of Atlanta and Charlotte vs the white ex-mayor-turned governor of NC and you've got a story that is almost worthy of a big bag of salty popcorn with LOTS of melted butter.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
... At one point, she was a reporter with one of the local news stations and I think she is with Charlotte center city partners now (but I could be wrong). ...
You are correct on both counts. She worked for years at WBTV and most notably as co-host with Bob Lacey on show that focused on Charlotte called PM Magazine. (1980s) It's been a long time but I seem to remember that she might have even been a substitute news anchor at times on that channel.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM

322 posts, read 666,694 times
Mayor Fox needs to learn that Charlotte will not get everything it wants...especially all at once, in this still ailing economy. First, Charlotte gets the first completed beltway in the state. It wants to extend the Blue Line from it's downtown station northward. Then the owners of the Panthers want the city and/or taxpayers to pony up millions for escalators and upgrades to the stadium. And Fox wants to build a streetcar from JCSmith to a shuttered Eastland Mall.

Some of the priorities in this city don't make sense. It was one thing to build a light rail line from 'uptown' to nowhere. Origially the line ended behind a Denny's near 485. And to spend close to a billion dollars on something that should have had practical construction implemented during it's process. (Why does sod need to be layed along Old Pineville Road beside railroad tracks, when landscapers could have as easliy thrown down some seed and straw?)

Fox is just another advocate of tax and spend, or is it, spend, then tax.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
If Patricia wants to defund the extension, then let's see him do it. So much talk, so little action. Defund the blasted extension and claim victory, McCrory.

Let the tea party beat their chest for defunding our Light Rail to show us who is top dog of North Cackalacky.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
With all the expertise in this forum it's a crying shame that all of y'all aren't running the show.

I'll throw my hat in the ring if you'll donate to the campaign. I'm an independent who is registered as a Republican who agrees with points of both platforms and disagrees with points of both platforms. I don't use a thesaurus in an attempt to confuse people since most points are better made in layman's terms. I have my vices and won't lie about them. I have made my mistakes and have learned from them.

Vote for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte