Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Basically the governor is hinting that if the street car is approved then funds to expand the light rail might be derailed.

The story:

N.C. Gov. McCrory warns streetcar could risk light rail money | CharlotteObserver.com

The "confidential" memo from City management to the council:

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...htU.So.138.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
This is insanity.

Is the Mayor upset that the Governor is acting with fiscal restraint/prudence during a major recession?

Perhaps there's some hope for NC after all.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
This is insanity.

Is the Mayor upset that the Governor is acting with fiscal restraint/prudence during a major recession?

Perhaps there's some hope for NC after all.
The mayor wants the state to mind its own business but take its checks.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and stay on topic; I am disgusted, outraged and annoyed.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The mayor wants the state to mind its own business but take its checks.
Apparently.

A good argument can be made to support the light rail, and the return on the investment is more than guaranteed.

The trolley, on the other hand, is far too risky/expensive an endeavor, in this economic climate.

That said, I hope the Governor is acting out of ideological differences in cutting trolley funding. I hope it isn't any more than that.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
^Indeed. CATS dropped the trolley because endless studies, consistent with federal guidelines for transit funding, have shown that both of the Charlotte trolley projects were not cost effective by any means. So the Charlotte city council and the idiot mayor decided to ignore all this and moved ahead with the trolley project without any source of funding. I have to think they were delusional because there is no other explanation for it.

Foxx for his part seems to be more upset that McCrory didn't bother to involve him in the matter. Well do tell. Foxx ought to be in Raleigh trying to win favor for the city instead of making taxpayer trips to DC and NY God knows where else to smooze it up with Obama and leaders of the national democratic party. As we can see here, the state government wields huge power over CLT yet outside a few districts in the center of CLT, Foxx has nobody listening to him and no influence. The speaker of the NC house also lives in Mecklenburg, yet I have not heard of any contact between the too. It's a huge lost opportunity by the city mayor. Clowns.

I commend McCrory for this. If it had been Beverly Perdue, they'd be raising the state sales tax again to pay for this nonsense.

Last edited by frewroad; 02-01-2013 at 03:02 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
^Indeed. CATS dropped the trolley because endless studies, consistent with federal guidelines for transit funding, have shown that both of the Charlotte trolley projects were not cost effective by any means. So the Charlotte city council and the idiot mayor decided to ignore all this and moved ahead with the trolley project without any source of funding. I have to think they were delusional because there is no other explanation for it.

Foxx for his part seems to be more upset that McCrory didn't bother to involve him in the matter. Well do tell. Foxx ought to be in Raleigh trying to win favor for the city instead of making taxpayer trips to DC and NY God knows where else to smooze it up with Obama and leaders of the national democratic party. As we can see here, the state government wields huge power over CLT yet outside a few districts in the center of CLT, Foxx has nobody listening to him and no influence. The speaker of the NC house also lives in Mecklenburg, yet I have not heard of any contact between the too. It's a huge lost opportunity by the city mayor. Clowns.

I commend McCrory for this. If it had been Beverly Perdue, they'd be raising the state sales tax again to pay for this nonsense.
Spot on! Keep the buses rolling.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM

189 posts, read 333,734 times
I am a unique breed as I support the expansion of our rail/streetcar transit however I agree with McCrory's stance. He approved the streetcar only if the current transit tax supports it. Since that is not the case and this would be funded through property tax, he believes this would send a bad message to the state in a time there is much talk about the state needing tax reform.

I like a leader that can see the benefits of doing something the right way as opposed to getting tunnel vision to complete the project at any expense. I'd love to see Charlotte with a more expansive rail network at the least comparable to Denver or Dallas but I don't want to break the bank doing it.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I love the irony of Foxx coming to understand how powerless an office the mayorship really is. McCrory was also fairly ineffective at talking with the legislature to get more money for roads and jails. Was Foxx paying attention then? He was on the council too after all.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM

198 posts, read 261,683 times
Keep Cool Foxx! Get the check first. Then do the streetcar. Arn't You a sly fox?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte