U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Reputation: 1438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is because it's a very rare day that we have anything approaching real investigative journalism in Charlotte these days. What we have instead is "access journalism" where news outlets afraid of offending officials, will report what is told to them as fact and without question. The days of muck raking journalists/reporters is, unfortunately, long gone.
I'm surprised the Business Journal doesn't read the RFP pages everyday and then make a story.

The county HATES the CO for their OpEds always calling for Harry to be fired. The dems don't like them because Bill James spoon feeds the CO stories.

I've e-mailed two reporters and I should be meeting one tonight. If this isn't a story I want to learn why not.

Maybe we're just stupid and this is just how things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Just thought of something . . . maybe there has been discussion behind closed doors about extending the movie tax credit.

That would change the landscape of the deal, as it were, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you are referring to the former Sears department store on N. Tryon, the reason for this is they plan to sell it to private developers. Ironically Sears abandoned this building to move to Eastland mall's 2nd phase in 1979.
No I was speaking of the migration from CMGC on 4th street to Freedom Mall. I don't know which departments moved besides IT (IST).

Looks like DSS has a presence there too. I would imagine the folks from Hal Marshall would be going there because it's easy access for clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm surprised the Business Journal doesn't read the RFP pages everyday and then make a story.

The county HATES the CO for their OpEds always calling for Harry to be fired. The dems don't like them because Bill James spoon feeds the CO stories.

I've e-mailed two reporters and I should be meeting one tonight. If this isn't a story I want to learn why not.

Maybe we're just stupid and this is just how things go.
The CO has no one with any will to dig and I guess there is no reason to bother . . . they do NOT want to do anything to rock the boat with Foxx, as he is being groomed to run for higher office . . . they don't wanna lose their access.

Harry has been low hanging fruit, lololol.

Good luck w/ getting anyone in the Fourth Estate to listen . . . I think in this town, we are ripe for a Citizen Reporter take over as folks are getting disgusted w/ the CO's lack of initiative to address significant issues. We just need to get more folks blogging!!!

I am so worn out with politicians . . . when do the issues that matter to the TAXPAYERS get addressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just thought of something . . . maybe there has been discussion behind closed doors about extending the movie tax credit.

That would change the landscape of the deal, as it were, I would think.
I don't know because the credit doesn't expire until 2015. It would be hard to get the GA to look at it this early considering the GOP priorities. It might be better if it was expiring sooner because it could get to the front burner faster.

I don't think we want to loose Homeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I don't know because the credit doesn't expire until 2015. It would be hard to get the GA to look at it this early considering the GOP priorities. It might be better if it was expiring sooner because it could get to the front burner faster.

I don't think we want to loose Homeland.
Folks need to jump on this and do an amendment to get the legislation's expiration extended to 2018.

I am sure there is plenty of discussion on this in Wilmington, too.

SC has a very competitive incentives system in place . . . our state needs to ensure that it remains attractive for the film industry to come here (and remain).

Back to Eastland . . . I am not going to be satisfied til I see an accounting for the bond money, a detailed list of what has been done to fulfill the commitments that were made in re: to community improvments. The last time we tried to research this, we found nothing had been done. Empty promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Reputation: 1438
I got a CO reporter to bite. If he doesn't write an article about it maybe he'll at least tell me what he finds out. He's willing to do one thing that I am not. "Pick up the phone".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Reputation: 1272
One of the few local journalists who got it right. Make sure to read what has happened in other cities that tried something like this.. One would think that at least one person from the city council might have asked about this.

Charlotte buys Eastland for $13.2 million | Pundit House

I'm not sure what an Observer reporter, at this point, is going to say that means anything. At one time the Observer would have written an article like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
One of the few local journalists who got it right. Make sure to read what has happened in other cities that tried something like this.. One would think that at least one person from the city council might have asked about this.

Charlotte buys Eastland for $13.2 million | Pundit House

I'm not sure what an Observer reporter, at this point, is going to say that means anything. At one time the Observer would have written an article like this.
Well that's 50% reporting and 50% oped. So people that have the same ideology are going to tend to give more credit than those that don't.

But that's not what this thread is about.

I have no idea what you mean about what the CO would say at this point that means anything. If that's how you feel then it's because you're ran this thread off into a tangent and not by focusing on those of us that are interested in the topic are trying to do.

The topic as demonstrated by the subject line is that Eastland Mall has an RFP for its demolition. That contradicts what the City seemed to be doing last week with the dog and pony show.

I am trying to leverage anyone I can to find out what is going on. Maybe there's nothing to see here but it sure seems odd and we are sure talking about it a lot.

If you think your journalist would do a better job at least with the color then by all means e-mail him. I'm sure he'd be interested.

If a reporter can help answer a question here especially when I'm having dinner with them tonight (print, radio, TV, bloggers) then it seems perfectly logical that I actually bring it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Well that's 50% reporting and 50% oped. So people that have the same ideology are going to tend to give more credit than those that don't.

But that's not what this thread is about.

I have no idea what you mean about what the CO would say at this point that means anything. If that's how you feel then it's because you're ran this thread off into a tangent and not by focusing on those of us that are interested in the topic are trying to do.

The topic as demonstrated by the subject line is that Eastland Mall has an RFP for its demolition. That contradicts what the City seemed to be doing last week with the dog and pony show.

I am trying to leverage anyone I can to find out what is going on. Maybe there's nothing to see here but it sure seems odd and we are sure talking about it a lot.

If you think your journalist would do a better job at least with the color then by all means e-mail him. I'm sure he'd be interested.

If a reporter can help answer a question here especially when I'm having dinner with them tonight (print, radio, TV, bloggers) then it seems perfectly logical that I actually bring it up.
Absolutely. And I hope you can get some answers or at least get someone else to do some digging.

I no longer have that press pass that made it very likely whomever I called in city/county government would call me back! I can place calls all day and . . . nada, lol. Unless someone who I know just happens to share some info with me . . . I have no real access.

So if someone will figure out why we have dog and pony show going on at the same time RFPs are being solicited . . . that would be great.

Seems to me our local government is in a disorganized mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top