U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Huh?

Dixie's Tavern
http://www.blackfinncharlotte.com/pd...erage_menu.pdf

I'd drop dead from shock if Ri Ra and Fitzgerald's don't have it. There is also that place where Stool Pigeons used to be that has a metric ton of drafts.

http://www.edstavern.com/beerlist.pdf
Dilworth Neighborhood Grille has it.
http://www.duckworthsgrillandbar.com...Ballantyne.pdf

Given that a craphole like Whooli's Grill has Guiness now, I think that most everywhere has it. Nothing to do with Charlotte, but they even have it at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh (I was the only one buying it). It's gone mainstream for better or worse.
I just had a bad experience my first 2 st Pattys days here. I know if I go downtown it'll be a blast but on the north side of town it was a ghost town and one decent pub we went to said they were out of guinness so I've been bitter ever since. . Downtown is where the party's at, I'm just nervous about drinking and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,746,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There was once a private proposal to build a very tall observation tower in Charlotte. I remember that a presentation was made to the city council. They were going to pay for it by selling shares to the local population. Unfortunately the plan ended up disappearing.

I'd like to see an attraction downtown, like maybe a world class ferris wheel (like the London Eye) what would appeal to all instead just sports. Charlotte's downtown is saturated with professional sports venues which have very limited appeal.
I remember the proposed observation tower. There was even a rendering of it in the paper. This was at least 10 or more years ago.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the eccentric visionary/architect that proposed this. I really liked this guy's ideas. The name is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't spit it out. He had plenty of farfetched ideas for Charlotte that were often scoffed by city officials. He was also the one that pitched a hissy fit when the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center was built attached to the BoA tower. He said it needed to be a separate entity, on it's on, not in the lobby of a skyscraper. Anyone know who I'm talking about? frew?

Last, there was also a proposed amusement park with a ferris wheel and carousel in the Marshall Park location. I would guess this was around 2007. I was contacted by one of the developers because of my lakewoodparkcharlotte.com website. They wanted to use my postcards as an example of what they wanted to do in Marshall Park. He said he would send me a recording of the proposal, which he never did.

Anyone remember the mammoth dinosaur structures to be built at the I-77S/I-485 interchange? Another rendering in the paper. That was sort of kooky but.....well.....different at least.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM

666 posts, read 802,984 times
UNC Charlotte as University of Charlotte or other name?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I remember the proposed observation tower. There was even a rendering of it in the paper. This was at least 10 or more years ago.
There is apparently a record of it on Emporis. It would have been 1000+ feet tall and would have included a 155,000 sq/ft aquarium. This would have made it ~200 ft taller than BofA and it would have been an interesting contrast to the skyline. There would have been a rotating restaurant at the 720 ft level, observation deck at the top, and a banquet hall at 200 ft. It would have been completed in 1994. It would have cost less than either TWC Arena or the Nascar HOF.

Unfortunately the rendering is missing. I do remember it, as you said, in the Observer. It's a shame that it didn't get built.

InSpire | Charlotte Buildings | EMPORIS

Last edited by frewroad; 02-13-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 PM

175 posts, read 359,957 times
We need an NBA team. Oh....never mind.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

17 posts, read 27,518 times
Most people outside of North America have never heard of Charlotte and certainly have no interest in visiting here. Most foreigners whom I know who have traveled to Atlanta for business found it incredibly boring. Thus, Charlotte would fare no better. The things that make it great for us (low cost of living, down to earth people, nice climate) are irrelevant to world travelers who seek to see historic and vibrant city centers with great arts scenes, architecture, shopping, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Schmooey Liebowitz View Post
Most people outside of North America have never heard of Charlotte and certainly have no interest in visiting here. Most foreigners whom I know who have traveled to Atlanta for business found it incredibly boring. Thus, Charlotte would fare no better. The things that make it great for us (low cost of living, down to earth people, nice climate) are irrelevant to world travelers who seek to see historic and vibrant city centers with great arts scenes, architecture, shopping, etc.
Certainly there are foreigners travelling to the United States who find nearly all of our cities boring. There might be 5 cities in the whole country that they would put up against London, Rome, Paris, etc.. However, most of these people are pretty boring themselves.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,285 times
That's true. NY and SF are the only cities in the US that receive universal recognition, perhaps because they''re the most urbane. Great cities like DC, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago often are dismissed as boring.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Schmooey Liebowitz View Post
Most people outside of North America have never heard of Charlotte and certainly have no interest in visiting here..... The things that make it great for us (low cost of living, down to earth people, nice climate) are irrelevant to world travelers who seek to see historic and vibrant city centers with great arts scenes, architecture, shopping, etc.
It's a mistake to assume this is the only interest of "world travelers". I have met and known many people from Europe, the UK and even Japan who are into car racing. Mention Charlotte and they immediately know this is home to the Nascar circuit even if they don't directly follow Nascar. Some have visited here because of it. While it doesn't get a lot of mention, people would be surprised at the number of foreign visitors who go to the Billy Graham complex in Charlotte.

While I readily admit that a medium sized city in the USA might not stand out more or less (for people outside the country) than any other medium sized city in the USA, the same can be said of most large countries. Russia, for example, covers a 1/6th of the world's surface, but I would guess it would be a rare day for people to name more than 2 or 3 cities there.

I personally don't think it's wrong for Charlotte to aspire to things that are bigger than expected for a city its size.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Yehudi Mankowitz View Post
That's true. NY and SF are the only cities in the US that receive universal recognition, perhaps because they''re the most urbane. Great cities like DC, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago often are dismissed as boring.
Indeed! DC, Boston, Philadelphia and DEFINITELY Chicago, are some of the most interesting cities I've visited / lived in anywhere (in the US or abroad). I would actually add LA to this mix. I actually like LA. It's exactly what it is -- nothing more or less. I like the fact that the city is a bit a mirage but that's what it is and everyone there embraces it. "It is what it is."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte