U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
 
747 posts, read 1,542,834 times
Reputation: 406

Advertisements

My landlord allows me two parking spots in front of my store that can post signs that state those slots are for my customers only. Do these have any legal weight? If I call the police will they issue a ticket or have them towed?

Freakin' sweepstakes people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,626,267 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
My landlord allows me two parking spots in front of my store that can post signs that state those slots are for my customers only. Do these have any legal weight? If I call the police will they issue a ticket or have them towed?

Freakin' sweepstakes people.
You will find that the best answer is going to be to deal with it in a way not to expose yourself and your landlord to possible lawsuits. In other words some other method besides towing.

The city isn't going to enforce any kind of sign on private property. So no you can't call the cops. They are not your personal agents.

The first question I'd have is, does the same landlord own the building that the sweepstakes is in? Or put another way, are you in the same building?

There is such a thing called private trespass of an automobile but if the building is owned by the same person I don't know if they can tow based on which spots are chosen.

This is governed by Charlotte city ordinance 4608.

The next thing you've got to do is make sure the signs are legal. Maybe you could upload a picture.

The basic rules are the sign be at least 24X24 with red letters on a white background not smaller than 1.5 inches that says "towing enforced" or "tow-a-way zone" and then the specific warning in red letters not smaller than 1" stating in your case "parking for ____________ customers only".

The sign must be at least 3' high off the ground but less than 8'.

You may also be required to post other warning signs that towing is enforced that can be seen when a car pulls in to a lot.

Next is the question of can you as a tenant call a towing service. I'd think you'd need the explicit authority of the landlord and if he owns the building that has the other business he might not like that.

After all that it's still a private matter and you'll have to find a towing company that wants to mess with it. One part of the ordinance is the tow truck driver must release the car WITHOUT CHARGE if the owner of the car requests it before the toe is complete. That alone will keep services from wanting to mess with it.

And if the toe business screws it up, it's a misdemeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
Reputation: 22369
Just b/c you put up a sign, it doesn't mean it is enforceable. In that same vein, putting up a sign that reads something such as "CUSTOMER PARKING ONLY: Violators risk towing at their own expense" . . . is not illegal.

So I would put up that sort of sign and see if the implied threat is enough to keep folks from parking in those spaces.

I would suspect it will be a 50:50 proposition. Some folks will obey; some just won't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM
 
7,103 posts, read 9,679,967 times
Reputation: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You will find that the best answer is going to be to deal with it in a way not to expose yourself and your landlord to possible lawsuits. In other words some other method besides towing.

The city isn't going to enforce any kind of sign on private property. So no you can't call the cops. They are not your personal agents.

The first question I'd have is, does the same landlord own the building that the sweepstakes is in? Or put another way, are you in the same building?

There is such a thing called private trespass of an automobile but if the building is owned by the same person I don't know if they can tow based on which spots are chosen.

This is governed by Charlotte city ordinance 4608.

The next thing you've got to do is make sure the signs are legal. Maybe you could upload a picture.

The basic rules are the sign be at least 24X24 with red letters on a white background not smaller than 1.5 inches that says "towing enforced" or "tow-a-way zone" and then the specific warning in red letters not smaller than 1" stating in your case "parking for ____________ customers only".

The sign must be at least 3' high off the ground but less than 8'.

You may also be required to post other warning signs that towing is enforced that can be seen when a car pulls in to a lot.

Next is the question of can you as a tenant call a towing service. I'd think you'd need the explicit authority of the landlord and if he owns the building that has the other business he might not like that.

After all that it's still a private matter and you'll have to find a towing company that wants to mess with it. One part of the ordinance is the tow truck driver must release the car WITHOUT CHARGE if the owner of the car requests it before the toe is complete. That alone will keep services from wanting to mess with it.

And if the toe business screws it up, it's a misdemeanor.

If I ever started another biz and wanted a partner you would be the first person I would call. I love yer style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,626,267 times
Reputation: 1437


Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
If I ever started another biz and wanted a partner you would be the first person I would call. I love yer style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM
 
1,670 posts, read 5,792,211 times
Reputation: 1178
I am told it is not enforecable. I live where there is a handicap parking in front of my door; only the pavement is marked. I was told by an officer, that they will never ticket someone who parks in that space. I don't know who is right or wrong? But they told me that there is not a sign stuck in the grass as one is parking to indicate a handicap parking space. You got to be kidding me! I follow the rules and will never park there, but everyone else ignores and get away with it.

This is something you just have to live with. Most stores have signs, most people avoid it, and go about their business. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,626,267 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I am told it is not enforecable. I live where there is a handicap parking in front of my door; only the pavement is marked. I was told by an officer, that they will never ticket someone who parks in that space. I don't know who is right or wrong? But they told me that there is not a sign stuck in the grass as one is parking to indicate a handicap parking space. You got to be kidding me! I follow the rules and will never park there, but everyone else ignores and get away with it.

This is something you just have to live with. Most stores have signs, most people avoid it, and go about their business. Good luck!
That's correct. You've got to have a sign with similar rules to the size and height though I'm not going to look them up. That's a state law so a cop could write a ticket.

That isn't the same as trespass towing which is what the main question was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,932,140 times
Reputation: 1272
If this is private land and it's marked no parking unless you are a customer, I believe you are within your rights to have it towed. I think there are towing companies who are glad to take on this business because they get paid before they release the vehicle and those charges mount up fast.

A few years ago there was a controversy where there was a private NCDOT license tag agent on South Blvd. They were in a strip mall. Parking was limited and the other tenants were upset they were losing business because of it. The signs went up and people started getting towed who went to get their license renewed. It came out these were private businesses and within their rights to do this.

My recommendation is to callup up a few towing outfits to see what you can find out. They will know the law because they are the ones who will be taking the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM
 
5,858 posts, read 7,675,459 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If this is private land and it's marked no parking unless you are a customer, I believe you are within your rights to have it towed. I think there are towing companies who are glad to take on this business because they get paid before they release the vehicle and those charges mount up fast.

My recommendation is to callup up a few towing outfits to see what you can find out. They will know the law because they are the ones who will be taking the car.
I have no idea what the law is but your first paragraph contradicts this earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
After all that it's still a private matter and you'll have to find a towing company that wants to mess with it. One part of the ordinance is the tow truck driver must release the car WITHOUT CHARGE if the owner of the car requests it before the toe is complete. That alone will keep services from wanting to mess with it.
Although I agree with the recommendation to call the towing companies to see what they say.

...

OP, again I have no idea about the enforceability of it, but maybe a "15 minute parking only" sign could be another option (this is for the Take and Bake pizza place, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
 
747 posts, read 1,542,834 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
If I ever started another biz and wanted a partner you would be the first person I would call. I love yer style!
I agree. Very thorough.
Thanks for the thoughts.

The sign is only $30, so I'll give it a shot.
But these Sweepstakes people are a very...umm, special kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top