U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 AM

1,926 posts, read 2,621,668 times

Advertisements

Native son, I knew that the commonwealth area would have the smart people!

this looks like a great idea, the only problem I see are
tailgaters, some people are just glued to the car in front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Ive been to the area recently and there hasn't been any problems or confusion.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This concept would worry me if I had a new car and lived there as backup skills seem to be a bit lacking in this city. I think the transit people with this idea should have gone to Harris Teeter where there are places to parallel park, and then watch the soccer moms in minivans and huge SUVs attempt it. LOL

It would have been better and less confusing had they just flipped those spaces onto the other angle like they do in 99.999% of the cases where this is needed.
Well those folks that decided flashing yellow arrows were a good idea for left turns had to have SOMETHING to do.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM

436 posts, read 512,264 times
The guy behind you who wants the space can block you from backing in, just like with parallel parking.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,764,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The guy behind you who wants the space can block you from backing in, just like with parallel parking.
If he cant use it anyway and you are in position to back up why would he block you?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,290,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
If he cant use it anyway and you are in position to back up why would he block you?
Because he's an idiot, like the woman in the grocery store parking lot today who couldn't understand that she needed to move out of the way so 4 other could go on their (my) way. But instead she sat, blocking us, with her turn signal on, trying to get a parking space she couldn't fit in and couldn't reach anyway without turning her car halfway around.

People are dumb, that's why.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM

602 posts, read 486,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Because he's an idiot, like the woman in the grocery store parking lot today who couldn't understand that she needed to move out of the way so 4 other could go on their (my) way. But instead she sat, blocking us, with her turn signal on, trying to get a parking space she couldn't fit in and couldn't reach anyway without turning her car halfway around.

People are dumb, that's why.

From your lips to God's ears.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,084,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Because some people are a******s. I've been blocked from parallel parking ocassionally. Mostly in DC, though. It hasn't happened to me around here that I can remember.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,359,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Because some people are a******s. I've been blocked from parallel parking ocassionally. Mostly in DC, though. It hasn't happened to me around here that I can remember.
I hate counting asterisks, I'm just not very good at it.
Did you mean a$$h0!3s ??? 'Cause if you did, I agree!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM

226 posts, read 313,657 times
Honest question: Do you need to back into a spot on your driver's test in NC? I live in San Francisco and visited Charlotte at the end of January. My wife and I were amazed with the number of people that backed into parking spots. When we went to a restaurant, more than half of the cars were parked backing in. In the Bay Area, I'd say well less than 5-10% do this.

After reading the brochure, I think the reasoning is valid. But it's just something that hasn't happened much where I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte