U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 17,297 times

Advertisements

Who has had experience with one of these urgent care facilities ? What I thought was a cold has now turned to a fever and getting light headed.. for three days ... not something to ignore... the problem is that I am new to the area and have yet to find GP/IM or PCP p

At this point I need to get medical treatment... and an "urgent care center" seems to be my only choice on such short notice... The problem is neither the insurer nor the Urgent care center can tell me what I can expect to pay... The care center says a "co-pay" (amount unknown) Cigna says "a pre-negotiated discounted rate" based on the reasonable and customary for services provided.

Surely it shouldn't be this difficult to find out how much an office visit will cost for an upper respiratory tract infection ?

Has any one any insight on how these urgent care facilities work with Cigna when you have yearly deductible but the insurer says that you will only have to pay the negotiated rate per treatment ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,756,621 times
I am sorry I cannot help on the specific question, but after a similar experience, my first advice to people moving is get a doctor as soon as you arrive. If you are sick, you need to get help, regardless of the price. You got 11 months to meet your deductible, just get the first chunk out of the way. If you are getting a network discount, and it sounds you are, you will be ok, probably.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
It will probably be around $200 or so. The lowest amount I have ever paid was $125 . . . the highest was $221.

There is no reason they can't tell you how much the visit will cost ahead of time. The idiots you are talking to are either too lazy to research it or too dumb to know how to read the insurance contracts.

I have had to make quite a few phone calls over the years trying to find out about charges at Urgent Care Centers, as my son was a student and had occasion to use them. WHen we moved here, we had no choice but use them b/c the physicians here won't take a "sick" patient unless you have already come in as a "well" patient and set up a file w/ them. It was always hell trying to get an answer. Supposedly, some contracts allow for a $75 co-pay but my insurance surely never did.

You may be getting the flu. I am getting over the flu and it started out w/ feeling lightheaded and dizzy for several days b/f the upper respiratory problems, fever and aching began. You really need to get some tamiflu, and if you do, be prepared for a $100 cost on that. That is what ours cost this month - $105.00 to be exact.

If you have a credit card, just use it and worry about settling up later. This stuff is nasty. I have a secondary infection (bronchitis) and have been on antibiotics for a week. My hubby is on his second round of antibiotics and his second round of prednisone, and his white count is STILL high. He had to go thru/ the whole xray and CT scan mess b/c they were worried he had developed pneumonia. That is how nasty this stuff is . . .

So do whatever you have to do and get to an Urgent Care Center ASAP.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,923,077 times
I had a similar experience trying to get a quote on some tests that were not covered by a co-pay. My deductible was $2500 so I knew I would be paying the entire amount for the tests. The doctor's office gave me the "list price" but could not tell me how much I would pay with my insurance. It was incredibly frustrating. I wrote several letters and sent emails complaining. Finally was given a number to call and they gave me the "negotiated rate" which was about 50% of the list price. This is what I would have to pay, but I had already cancelled my appointment out of frustration.

I think my co-pay for urgent care is either $50, $75, or $100, but I can see how if it goes against your deductible you might have a hard time getting a quote in advance. The provider will refer you to your insurance company and your insurance company will refer you back to your provider. Very frustrating! And it will vary, because apparently the different insurance companies actually negotiate different rates with the provider. So the "list price" might be $250, but you might only have to pay $125, or $150, or $119.99, depending on your carrier.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,810,504 times
Go to the minute clinic at CVS. You can go in as a walk-in; most lab tests are under $50.
Services range from $79 - $89
Come to us for: Allergy symptoms (2 years+)
Bronchitis / cough
Earache / ear infection
Flu-like symptoms
Mononucleosis (mono)
Motion sickness prevention
Sinus infection / congestion
Pink eye & styes
Sore throat / strep throat
Upper respiratory infection
Urinary tract / bladder infection (females 12 years+)
Services and costs at MinuteClinic. Insurance accepted. Open 7 days

Urgent Care is about $275 with a deposit of $100 payable upfront. This price did include a simple lab test for strep. They will bill you for the rest and give you a 10% discount for being a private payor.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Go to the minute clinic at CVS. You can go in as a walk-in; most lab tests are under $50.
Services range from $79 - $89
Come to us for: Allergy symptoms (2 years+)
Bronchitis / cough
Earache / ear infection
Flu-like symptoms
Mononucleosis (mono)
Motion sickness prevention
Sinus infection / congestion
Pink eye & styes
Sore throat / strep throat
Upper respiratory infection
Urinary tract / bladder infection (females 12 years+)
Services and costs at MinuteClinic. Insurance accepted. Open 7 days

Urgent Care is about $275 with a deposit of $100 payable upfront. This price did include a simple lab test for strep. They will bill you for the rest and give you a 10% discount for being a private payor.
You know, I didn't even THINK of MinuteClinic/CVS yet I have used them for strep throat in the past!

Excellent suggestion!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM

238 posts, read 496,529 times
I'm not sure why they can't tell you upfront how much you have to pay. Do you have a high deductible health plan? I've visited the Urgent Care center several times and have paid a $30 co-pay each time.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I'm not sure why they can't tell you upfront how much you have to pay. Do you have a high deductible health plan? I've visited the Urgent Care center several times and have paid a $30 co-pay each time.
You have visited an Urgent Care Center in Charlotte and only paid $30 co-pay? The cheapest I have heard of is $75.00.

Even physician offices typically charge more than $30.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 17,297 times
Thanks all !!! I went to an urgent care center : $50.00....saw a PA

Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,146,267 times
You're just lucky they didn't tell you the only prescription was more cowbell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte