Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

Some county commissioners are saying they don't want to refund overbilled taxpayers.

I have a friend that payed over $11,000 in yearly taxes - new (corrected) tax bill is less than $7,000.

The Observer is reporting that the Republican commissioners believe refunds are due and the Democrats 'seem opposed to providing refunds'.

Unbelievable but not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
Does the commission have the authority to issue refunds? It may be simpler to allow tax credits toward future bills, on the affected parcels.

The more time passes, the more complex it gets. The county could get enmeshed in trying to track down old property owners that have sold and moved away, just to issue checks.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Does the commission have the authority to issue refunds? It may be simpler to allow tax credits toward future bills, on the affected parcels.

The more time passes, the more complex it gets. The county could get enmeshed in trying to track down old property owners that have sold and moved away, just to issue checks.
I don't believe the county comission has authority to issue refunds. The issue I have with the entire revaluation situation is that it was known early on that there were BIG problems with the 2011 tax values. Some properties were overvalued by more than 50%. Some property owners were forced to sell as they were unable to afford the taxes.

This is legalized stealing in my opinion. I hope Mecklenburg county is forced to make refunds to those that overpaid.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
To some extent, I see this thread as having something in common with the one about Foxx and the streetcar, or the Eastland Mall purchase. Tax payers here are losing trust in their elected officials to be fair, or even spend funds as originally approved in bond referendums.

There will be blowback from this. More people will become cynics and vote no on any bond. Or simply give up and leave the area rather than put up with it.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Some county commissioners are saying they don't want to refund overbilled taxpayers.

I have a friend that payed over $11,000 in yearly taxes - new (corrected) tax bill is less than $7,000.

The Observer is reporting that the Republican commissioners believe refunds are due and the Democrats 'seem opposed to providing refunds'.

Unbelievable but not surprising.
Republican commissioners? Really? PLURAL?

Or are they talking about Bill James speaking of what happened in a closed door meeting? I've never seen anyone but him leak a closed door session detail.

He actually tweeted that last night.

I don't think the Dems are against it they just are concerned about risks laid out by the county attorney in that closed session. We can't judge because the discussion was secret.

Next week there is a planning meeting where more detail should come out. Nuts and bolts type stuff.

One of the dems mentioned the fact that the county might have to bill people for two years if they give refunds to some. I say it will be more like three years. We'll hear from old ladies that are loosing their house after getting a surprise 3 year tax bill.

There's also talk that all the appeals could be reset. Or on the other hand if you didn't appeal you might be in the dark but James is against that too.

Revaluation refund decisions could take months | CharlotteObserver.com

I was told there will be a story in tomorrow's edition. It might actually be the story above.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I don't believe the county comission has authority to issue refunds. The issue I have with the entire revaluation situation is that it was known early on that there were BIG problems with the 2011 tax values. Some properties were overvalued by more than 50%. Some property owners were forced to sell as they were unable to afford the taxes.

This is legalized stealing in my opinion. I hope Mecklenburg county is forced to make refunds to those that overpaid.
The commission does not have the authority to issue refunds. The fork in the road for them right now is how to ask the GA for what they want. But our local delegation might go on without them or might not like what the county comes up with.

How did you figure there are overvalues by more than 50%? Unless there was a successful appeal (which would mean the process worked) then it's just an opinion. I'm not aware of Pearson's releasing any data showing percentages or dollar amounts for any property yet.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Republican commissioners? Really? PLURAL?

Or are they talking about Bill James speaking of what happened in a closed door meeting? I've never seen anyone but him leak a closed door session detail.

He actually tweeted that last night.

I don't think the Dems are against it they just are concerned about risks laid out by the county attorney in that closed session. We can't judge because the discussion was secret.

Next week there is a planning meeting where more detail should come out. Nuts and bolts type stuff.

One of the dems mentioned the fact that the county might have to bill people for two years if they give refunds to some. I say it will be more like three years. We'll hear from old ladies that are loosing their house after getting a surprise 3 year tax bill.

There's also talk that all the appeals could be reset. Or on the other hand if you didn't appeal you might be in the dark but James is against that too.

Revaluation refund decisions could take months | CharlotteObserver.com

I was told there will be a story in tomorrow's edition. It might actually be the story above.
That is the story I was referring to.

Too bad more people aren't willing to be open - I am glad Bill James is willing to keep his constituents informed. One day (if you are lucky) you will be an old lady (or old man) and you might understand how it feels to lose your home.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
How did you figure there are overvalues by more than 50%? Unless there was a successful appeal (which would mean the process worked) then it's just an opinion. I'm not aware of Pearson's releasing any data showing percentages or dollar amounts for any property yet.
There have been successful appeals however, the taxpayers have not been issued a refund for the overbilled (and paid) amount.

I don't call that a process that works.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
There have been successful appeals however, the taxpayers have not been issued a refund for the overbilled (and paid) amount.

I don't call that a process that works.
You got that right.

And I do understand the legal ramifications.

However, if this were any other business (rather than a governmental entity) . . . they would have to ante up the refunds, no matter how painful, no matter how complicated.

Just amazing how that is OUR TAX MONEY and we can't get OUR OWN MONEY back. Not like people are asking to be given something that wasn't theirs to start with.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That is the story I was referring to.

Too bad more people aren't willing to be open - I am glad Bill James is willing to keep his constituents informed. One day (if you are lucky) you will be an old lady (or old man) and you might understand how it feels to lose your home.
Well obviously as a collective body they didn't want anyone to know what was going on. Honestly I think it was premature to say that and James was being a blowhard.

And yes if you are old eventually you have a chance to lose your home to the tax man. That's the way our system is designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte