U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why don't you wait til we find out where this kid lives before you decide what has and hasn't "gone downhill?"
Well I think he was saying that even if he was from a "desirable area," one kid bringing a gun to school doesn't make said area any less desirable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
Exactly, the Newtown shooter looks like he was from a decent area.
picture of his home -> http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_l..._121217_wg.jpg

Teenagers have been bringing guns to school since I was in high school it has no reflection what type of neighborhood or city they are from.
I did a quick search and this article states 135,000 children carry guns to school each day in America. Children and Guns

We didnt have officers in school or had lock downs. Only drills we had was fire drill and tornado.
The principal dealt with kid and expelled him or her.

Probably what will happen to this student at North Meck sending the student down a slippery slope of life.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Exactly, the Newtown shooter looks like he was from a decent area.
picture of his home -> http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_l..._121217_wg.jpg

Teenagers have been bringing guns to school since I was in high school it has no reflection what type of neighborhood or city they are from.
I did a quick search and this article states 135,000 children carry guns to school each day in America. Children and Guns

We didnt have officers in school or had lock downs. Only drills we had was fire drill and tornado.
The principal dealt with kid and expelled him or her.

Probably what will happen to this student at North Meck sending the student down a slippery slope of life.
How can anyone possibly know the number of kids bringing guns to school?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,374,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well I think he was saying that even if he was from a "desirable area," one kid bringing a gun to school doesn't make said area any less desirable...
Exactly...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
So what's the deal? I thought Huntersville was a desirable area. I know 6-7 years ago, it seemed like everyone was moving there. Was there a significant change in the area?
The answer was posted just 2 posts above yours. Even though the school is in Huntersville, much of it's school zone area isn't.

Significant parts of North Mecklenburg's school zone includes parts of East/West Charlotte. It includes the areas around W. Sugar Creek, Graham Street, and Statesville Ave down to I-85.

IMO, if the school's choice zone was limited to Huntersville and areas North of I-485, there would never be any discipline and criminal issues at this school. It would most likely be one of the highest rated schools in the county.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 AM

4 posts, read 2,779 times
You're wrong about that. Is Huntersville so pure that an incident couldn't happen there either, if all of the students were from a specific zone/area?You have disturbed people and troubled children in every area. Think before you say anything. Home school your child if you feel like that because any school can be affected by anyone who is troubled. Most of the areas that you've named are minority enriched areas and your comment has a racist tone. You are sadly mistaken if you think that issues do not occur in Huntersville or shall I say predominantly white areas, because they do. Color doesn't consist of perfection. We are all subject to crime, no matter where we live. Think before you comment!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 AM

150 posts, read 282,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokenword View Post
You're wrong about that. Is Huntersville so pure that an incident couldn't happen there either, if all of the students were from a specific zone/area?You have disturbed people and troubled children in every area. Think before you say anything. Home school your child if you feel like that because any school can be affected by anyone who is troubled. Most of the areas that you've named are minority enriched areas and your comment has a racist tone. You are sadly mistaken if you think that issues do not occur in Huntersville or shall I say predominantly white areas, because they do. Color doesn't consist of perfection. We are all subject to crime, no matter where we live. Think before you comment!
I don't think anyone is referring to race... it's not about race, it's about culture. And although anything can happen, statistics prove that children who are raised well, disciplined ,taken care of, and are raised by both a mother and a father living in the home with them, are much less likely to become criminals in the end... and to that point, parents who care about their children tend to want to live around other parents who care about their children... regardless of race.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The answer was posted just 2 posts above yours. Even though the school is in Huntersville, much of it's school zone area isn't.

Significant parts of North Mecklenburg's school zone includes parts of East/West Charlotte. It includes the areas around W. Sugar Creek, Graham Street, and Statesville Ave down to I-85.

IMO, if the school's choice zone was limited to Huntersville and areas North of I-485, there would never be any discipline and criminal issues at this school. It would most likely be one of the highest rated schools in the county.
Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of students going there that shouldn't be, but North Meck is located in essentially the far southeast corner of Huntersville, a half mile from 485. I doubt there's any chance it would ever be limited just to Huntersville and areas north of 485 (and no I know you never said it would be).

Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,374,209 times
Never is a very strong word... kids are too unpredictable these days.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,280,462 times
What's wrong people? He was just exercising his second amendment rights. We should be thanking him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or