U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 AM

17 posts, read 26,240 times

Advertisements

Hi we are a family of 4 hoping to move next year and have really tried to get info on lifestyle differences between Lake Norman & Union County. We are looking in the range of 700k, and like the idea of the amenities of a country club, but also the idea of having access to a lake. I have read so much about the horror of being stuck on "The Point" due to traffic. We have 2 very active kids who would be involved in sports and dance and other activities with and outside school, so the thought of fighting traffic every day just to get anywhere worries me about the Lake Norman area.
Also, I know both areas have affluent neighborhoods, which of the two areas would seem to have the biggest gap between the financial classes, meaning the millionaires and upper middle class vs lower economical class? They may sound snobby, but that's what I'm worried about, sometimes I find that lower economical class can harbor aggression against kids in upper class neighborhoods thinking the upper class kids have it made, especially if the "upper class" kids are in the minority and live in an isolated country club setting. Our kids will be 7th and 9th grade when we move.
Thank you any & all for some info: the good, the bad, & the ugly, all info is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM

520 posts, read 770,866 times
Where are you going to work?

Kids with active sports..means ..go south Charlotte.

We don't have lot of millionaires here .

South Charlotte has a lot of upper middle class people resulting in great neighborhoods and great schools.

Pardon my ignorance.. But I thought rich kids are usually spoiled and people from middle and lower class are humble. I could be wrong

Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,740,900 times
Your kids won't have a problem here. I recommend South Charlotte as well. Piper Glen is a very nice area for instance. Do the Advanced Map Search on Allentate.com and you will see where the homes in your price range are clustered.
I would say Lake Norman is only worth it if you can live on the lake itself and/or if you are an avid boater.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 AM

Thank you so much for the honest input.
To ADA_NC The fact that you recognize your ignorance means that it is not ignorance, but it is the misconception that I'm talking about. Just because people are monetarily wealthy does not mean they have class, nor that their children have it easy. As well as for people who struggle financially, it does not mean they do not have class or that they necessarily are humble w/good character.
Just a small example, I know people who are struggling financially, (yes unable to pay water/ electric bills), but rack up the credit card spoiling their children buying them iphones, trendy clothes, etc. wanting them to feel adequate like "the rich" and I know many wealthy people who make their children earn those things or choose not to allow them to have it. I think it comes down to the old cliche, you can not always judge a book by its cover. Material wealth does not always equal happiness, especially for children. There are of course stereo types in all walks of life, which we all match some parts of here and there, but it is up to us to teach our children that character counts, not the material wealth someone has or doesn't have.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 AM

Ex-burgher,
I'm a bit of a planner, so I wonder if having a house near the lake w/lake access might be good for the long term for 2 reasons: my kids will (hopefully) want to visit w/their kids and/ or for resale purposes?
Also, is the Lake Area (specifically Brawley School Road) as horrible as it's made out to be? One of the reasons we are considering the "Point" area is Lake Norman HS's women's soccer team is ranked #2 in the state and their academics (SAT scores) show strong, not as high as Marvin Ridge, but not too far behind either.
but is their dance and gymnastics available also in the area or will it be a nightmare trying to drive to these things?

Also, ADA_NC are you referring to the Lake Norman area when you say there are not a lot of millionaires here?
I like the idea of diversity, as I said it's the character that counts. We are currently living in a rural, low to middle income area and I like the general ease of it. We've also lived in an area with the uber rich and everyone seem to be playing "keep up with the Joneses". I would like to find a happy medium, where there are high end financial earners as well as middle class earners and the kids are a bit more accepting of one another, rather than judgmental...I guess I'm a bit idealistic, but it still doesn't keep me from trying.
fortunately work is not a factor at the moment, so I have a choice, that's why I'm trying to make it a good one.
Thank you again for the input.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 19,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbien View Post
Hi we are a family of 4 hoping to move next year and have really tried to get info on lifestyle differences between Lake Norman & Union County. We are looking in the range of 700k, and like the idea of the amenities of a country club, but also the idea of having access to a lake. I have read so much about the horror of being stuck on "The Point" due to traffic. We have 2 very active kids who would be involved in sports and dance and other activities with and outside school, so the thought of fighting traffic every day just to get anywhere worries me about the Lake Norman area.
Also, I know both areas have affluent neighborhoods, which of the two areas would seem to have the biggest gap between the financial classes, meaning the millionaires and upper middle class vs lower economical class? They may sound snobby, but that's what I'm worried about, sometimes I find that lower economical class can harbor aggression against kids in upper class neighborhoods thinking the upper class kids have it made, especially if the "upper class" kids are in the minority and live in an isolated country club setting. Our kids will be 7th and 9th grade when we move.
Thank you any & all for some info: the good, the bad, & the ugly, all info is welcome.
Hello! We too are possibly making the move back south as well. Your posts are answering some of my questions as well. They are very similar to some of my questions/concerns. Right now I am just trying to learn about the area but so far believe we want to stay south of Charlotte because of location to potential job and schools. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or