U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
We are happily and successfully raising children in interior Charlotte over here! College educated, professionals with families, believe it it not. But it's kinda nice with the stigma, it keeps away the bigots, morons and know-it-alls.
Yep... I have no desire to live further away from the city and if we moved it would be closer to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If the irresponsible city council and mayor continue to spend tax dollars like drunken sailors on shore leave, they are going to turn Charlotte into another St. Louis or Detroit. i.e. Everyone who is productive in society will move outside the city.
I agree, but think it will be more like Cleveland and our Ballantyne area will become its own city.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I agree, but think it will be more like Cleveland and our Ballantyne area will become its own city.
If council didn't "spend money like drunken sailors" there would be no Ballantyne.

Irony loller.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,469,687 times
Ballantyne paid inpact fees to get sewer service and roads laid out there. But I'm sure if they split off, a good chunk of Charlotte's debt would come along with it.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM

820 posts, read 1,528,694 times
I was actually expecting some good to come from his election, but all I see is a coming career politician who wants to stick it to the taxpayers to pay for his folly trolley (street car) and ante up our tax dollars to provide corporate welfare to a one-percenter who owns a billion dollar NFL franchise.

He and most members of the City Council are tone deaf to problems with the economy and his constituents ability to put bread on their table, a roof over their head (property tax increases), keep the lights on (thank you Duke Power), buy gas to get to work (thank you Mr. Obama for energy policies that are making us less energy dependent and costing jobs and using corn for fuel competing against corn for food), get a drink of water (water and sewer rates), food taxes (added to the ridiculous rates we pay now) and on and on and on.

Then, what does he have to worry about? When election time roles around, the well informed electorate will put him right back in City Hall.

As to the topic - In five years, much less 10, I see Charlotte is an economic mess along the lines of a Detroit or other major cities that have been poorly managed because once the pols get elected, they think they see a blank check and tax the working class and retired folks on fixed income to the point they have to sell and move out (which some are doing today). Crime will be a much bigger problem than it is today because the courts pander to criminals and judges are more interested in being social workers than holding punks responsible for their actions of robbing, assaulting, raping or killing people.

Last edited by paulosfm; 02-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Cleveland? Detroit? lol.... how about Pittsburgh since that's where I'm from? Actually... that's probably a good comparison. Pittsburgh lost steel just like Charlotte lost textile and now they have become a tech and healthcare hotspot. They are investing in subways and building condos and transforming old buildings into lofts. The only problem is the weather.. and Charlotte has beautiful weather already. Its probably why so many friends and family are moving from PA to Charlotte.

I'm sorry but a lot of the people predicting gloom ALWAYS predict gloom with every move this city makes. How is Charlotte so popular if its constantly spiralling downwards?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Cleveland? Detroit? lol.... how about Pittsburgh since that's where I'm from? Actually... that's probably a good comparison. Pittsburgh lost steel just like Charlotte lost textile and now they have become a tech and healthcare hotspot. They are investing in subways and building condos and transforming old buildings into lofts. The only problem is the weather.. and Charlotte has beautiful weather already. Its probably why so many friends and family are moving from PA to Charlotte.

I'm sorry but a lot of the people predicting gloom ALWAYS predict gloom with every move this city makes. How is Charlotte so popular if its constantly spiralling downwards?
Hopefully in 10 years all the haters in the city and on this forum will be gone!!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Hopefully in 10 years all the haters in the city and on this forum will be gone!!
Most of them are already living outside city limits to begin with...lol. I'm joking.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,195,308 times
In ten years, I hope to see Charlotte in my rear view mirror! Hopefully, retirement will happen by then and we will migrate back towards living at the shore.

As far as the area here, I think Charlotte will continue to develop and maintain its position as a viable city on the east coast. While it will probably won't rival Atlanta or the large cities of the northeast, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Charlotte, for the most part, offers a nice variety of things to do and at a nice level of living comfort.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Most of them are already living outside city limits to begin with...lol. I'm joking.
You are right lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or