U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 868,372 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...How much do you know about cars that run on both electricity & gas? Are you aware that areas are starting to provide plug-in parking areas for cars like the Chevy Volt? There are trucks manufactured in this area that run on natural gas.

The world is changing. I'm not sure that you're aware of a lot of those changes.
Do you really think the US is going to run its suburban living system on these experiments?
I think it is pretty certain the suburban-way-of-life is dying a slow death, and life will change for commuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
...

I do like to see that the Convention center is on the LYNX grid, since it may have an interesting variety of events.
While there are a few public events there through the year, like the Charlotte Auto Show (though it sounds as if you won't like that), the purpose of a convention center is as a place for conventions. You have to be a member of the association having the convention to get into the event.

2013 Schedule

You will find more general events at the The Park and the Metrolina Fairgrounds, (like the monthly Antiques, Arts and Collectibles Flea Market), Home & Garden shows, etc, but these are not on Lynx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 868,372 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
While there are a few public events there through the year, like the Charlotte Auto Show (though it sounds as if you won't like that),....
LOL.
At least you recognise it would not be something I'd be keen to put in my diary.
(If I was younger, I might have wanted to picket that event)

Something like THIS might appeal:
March 14, 2013
The Greater Charlotte Apartment Association 2013 Tradeshow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Reputation: 3366
not necessarily specific events, but there is also:

the airport
Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre
Bojangles Arena/Ovens Auditorium
any of the area lakes
any real shopping mall other than a 2-3 mile walk to Carolina Place or South Park. I know you don't like indoor shopping malls, but you could probably include Birkdale on this list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 868,372 times
Reputation: 217
The Lakes certainly have appeal.
Is there any other way to get there?
I read somewhere there might be a bus - and future light rail connection - to Davidson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Do you really think the US is going to run its suburban living system on these experiments?
I think it is pretty certain the suburban-way-of-life is dying a slow death, and life will change for commuters
Since I live 30 miles out from Charlotte & I see these vehicles on the road, even in a terrible economy, I think that I'm in a better position to say yes these cars are being embraced than you are, in Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 868,372 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Since I live 30 miles out from Charlotte & I see these vehicles on the road, even in a terrible economy, I think that I'm in a better position to say yes these cars are being embraced than you are, in Hong Kong.
I am sorry to tell you this, Southbound, but Charlotte is not the whole of America. And even in CLT, you may find those that disagree with you. And that is certainly the case if the Direct Messages (of support) that I am receiving every day are any indication.

Here's an excerpt from a DM that I received today:
"I started to respond to your posting, but I decided it would be better to message you directly. Sometimes, some of our more... opinionated posters... annoy me and I didn't want to hear it..."

So I know there are those in "silent agreement" who seem to be willing to sit back in quiet agreement, and let me take the heat on these threads. I do not mind. I have pretty thick skin, if you have not guessed by now. (Or you could say: "You have a thick skull," or "You are very self confident", depending on your point of view. All of these descriptions may apply, probably.)

One of the reasons for my self-confidence is that I think the US is approaching an important turning point on its attitude towards the suburbs. I left the US two decades ago because I rejected the American suburban living arrangement. I did not want to live that way, and I did not want to be surrounded by people who could not see the shortcomings in that way of living.

It is different now. Many people are talking about how they want to live in Walkable communities, where they know their neighbors, and their children are safe playing in the streets. This is just not possible in the outer ring suburbs, no matter how many gates surround a community. It requires a denser community, where there is a local focus to life. I am not the only one who hungers for something like that. "Local life" like that does not exist in many urban communities, it is something altogether different. In a proper urban environment, you have a rich variety of "street life."

I would like to see America get back to the non-suburban choices: Local small town life can be appealing, even if it requires using a car sometimes. And so is a carfree urban life. But the dead bastardized version you find in the suburbs is simply not attractive to a growing number of people.

I think I am right about this, because we are no seeing more and more videos like this one:

Sprawling from Grace, Driven to Madness:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPS1y81b1Bw

Last edited by Geologic; 02-20-2013 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I think it is pretty certain the suburban-way-of-life is dying a slow death, and life will change for commuters
I don't think the suburban way of life is dying a slow death, particularly in Charlotte. Have you read many of the other threads on this very forum? Many of these are from potential relocaters, a majority of them inquiring about the area's many suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I am sorry to tell you this, Southbound, but Charlotte is not the whole of America. And even in CLT, you may find those that disagree with you. And that is certainly the case if the Direct Messages (of support) that I am receiving every day are any indication.

Here's an excerpt from a DM that I received today:
"I started to respond to your posting, but I decided it would be better to message you directly. Sometimes, some of our more... opinionated posters... annoy me and I didn't want to hear it..."

So I know there are those in "silent agreement" who seem to be willing to sit back in quiet agreement, and let me take the heat on these threads. I do not mind. I have pretty thick skin, if you have not guessed by now. (Or you could say: "You have a thick skull," or "You are very self confident", depending on your point of view. All of these descriptions may apply, probably.)

One of the reasons for my self-confidence is that I think the US is approaching an important turning point on its attitude towards the suburbs. I left the US two decades ago because I rejected the American suburban living arrangement. I did not want to live that way, and I did not want to be surrounded by people who could not see the shortcomings in that way of living.

It is different now. Many people are talking about how they want to live in Walkable communities, where they know their neighbors, and their children are safe playing in the streets. This is just not possible in the outer ring suburbs, no matter how many gates surround a community. It requires a denser community, where there is a local focus to life. I am not the only one who hungers for something like that. "Local life" like that does not exist in many urban communities, it is something altogether different. In a proper urban environment, you have a rich variety of "street life."

I would like to see America get back to the non-suburban choices: Local small town life can be appealing, even if it requires using a car sometimes. And so is a carfree urban life. But the dead bastardized version you find in the suburbs is simply not attractive to a growing number of people.

I think I am right about this, because we are no seeing more and more videos like this one:

Sprawling from Grace, Driven to Madness:



Sprawling from Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization - YouTube
Again, you turn to hostility. . .

You haven't lived in the US for 20 years, but yet you tell me that I don't see the new vehicles on the road. Choose to believe what you want. I believe my own eyes. I don't believe that you know more than I do about where I live, half a world away. This is nothing other than hostility..

Just to continue with your rant, there are no gated communities in my city. None, zero, zip, nada.

The city is focused on getting employment in to employ as many people as possible, right here in town. Your comments are hostile & condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
1,329 posts, read 868,372 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Again, you turn to hostility. . .

You haven't lived in the US for 20 years, but yet you tell me that I don't see the new vehicles on the road. Choose to believe what you want. I believe my own eyes. I don't believe that you know more than I do about where I live, half a world away. This is nothing other than hostility..

Just to continue with your rant, there are no gated communities in my city. None, zero, zip, nada.

The city is focused on getting employment in to employ as many people as possible, right here in town. Your comments are hostile & condescending.
Let's make this thread a lightning rod for those sorts of comments, which IMO have no value whatsoever on a thread about Carfree Living.

How does telling someone who is interested in that way of living that they are "hostile and condescending" help to advance the idea of carfree living??

Others have said it is "possible but difficult", so everyone reading this thread should be aware of the challenge by now. So there is no need to repeat the warning again and again.

If you have no useful tips, then why not just leave this thread alone, and let it sink towards the bottom of this section? - That's what is happening to the thread that I started about Carfree Living in Rock Hill. And I think the benign neglect from the car-dependent there speaks more eloquently than constantly attacking me.

But get your ranting out of your system on THIS thread, because I plan to start a new "clean" thread, and I want to keep the naysayers off it - I will report anything that's off topic there. But you can keep repeating yourself here. I reckon that readers will just lose interest here when they find the same sorts of comments from car-boosters, again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top