U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM

165 posts, read 373,845 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Charlotte. I will be working near Trade and Tryon. It is my wife and 3 year old son, two basset hounds, and a cat. Reading some other posts, it sounds like South Charlotte is a good area. We'd like to rent an apartment or house.

Would be interested to hear what areas in Charlotte we should consider and which areas we should avoid.

The area being safe, an easy commute, close to grocery store and/or Walmart/Costco type stores, and good schools should we stay there for years are our considerations in moving. Nice places to walk are a bonus. We have cars, but available access to public transportation is always nice too.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,743,256 times
Stick with south Charlotte. Keep in mind that there are nice areas in every quadrant of the city. South Charlotte has more of an abundance of nice, well-established neighborhoods. There are some iffy areas in south Charlotte though. Instead of me naming those areas and possibly offending someone, keep this rule of thumb in mind. In fact, this rule probably applies to any city. If the rent sounds too good to be true. Stay away.

In the extreme southern section of Charlotte, just outside the outer loop, there is Ballantyne Commons Parkway which has quite a few apt complexes, most of them built within the last 10-12 years. The Southpark area, considered upscale, has a couple older (built in the mid 80's), but well kept apt complexes on Quail Hollow Rd.

Southend, Dilworth or Sedgefield are great inner city neighborhoods near the light rail just south of uptown. Madison Park (where I grew up) and Montclaire are nice middle income neighborhoods with homes built in the 50's. You can find good deals there. The Starmount neighborhood is a little further south and there are good deals in there although some areas have declined in there. The neighborhoods on the east side of the light rail are the safest.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
If I had the chance to buy again or open a business I would look at South Charlotte along the rail.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,465,992 times
If you're working in the middle of uptown then I advise looking along one of the major southern arteries out of town ... South Blvd, Park Road. Providence, Randolph or Monroe roads. You can find a rental home or townhouse with a fenced yard for the dogs.

Charlotte's transit system is pretty good for uptown workers since most of the busses converge to there. I advise using it versus paying to park, which will be about $6 a day. The bus or LYNX is cheaper than that and you aren't using your own gas or oil/tires to get to work.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,743,256 times
The Cotswold area is another great area to consider. Very family oriented and very convenient to uptown. Typically, I consider the heart of Cotswold at the intersection of Sharon Amity Rd and Randolph Rd.

As Sean_CLT pointed out, Park Rd (especially around Park Rd Shopping Center) is also a great area just minutes from uptown.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM

1,329 posts, read 866,961 times
Seems that many folks are seeking Walkable options.

Please see also the thread about Living Carfree in the CLT area:
Living without a Car : Is it possible in the Charlotte area?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The Cotswold area is another great area to consider. Very family oriented and very convenient to uptown. Typically, I consider the heart of Cotswold at the intersection of Sharon Amity Rd and Randolph Rd.

As Sean_CLT pointed out, Park Rd (especially around Park Rd Shopping Center) is also a great area just minutes from uptown.
This.

When I moved here I rented in Cotswold (churchill downs) 2bed 2 bath with pool and tennis/basketball court. $700 a month. We used a broker. We coudlnt afford to buy in cotswold but we bought a house right next door to cotswold. Southpark is 10 minutes away... 2 Harris Teeters, 2 Walmarts within 5 minutes.. Wholefoods is 10 minutes away and Uptown is a straight shot down Monroe/7th or take Randolph for a nicer view into the city. There is also an express bus from Matthews that goes down the middle of Independence. If I worked Uptown I would use it because Independence is always backed up.

You can tell I love where I live...

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM

372 posts, read 561,540 times
I think we should know what price range the OP is willing to spend before suggesting neighborhoods.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM

165 posts, read 373,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
I think we should know what price range the OP is willing to spend before suggesting neighborhoods.
I had done a cursory look on rentals in Charlotte (not knowing what areas I was looking at) and saw rentals from $750 to $1250. This seemed reasonable to me.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with very helpful advice! Those areas will make for a great starting point in our further research in where to move should we decide to make the move to Charlotte.

Much appreciated!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,465,992 times
I'm assuming you're looking for a 3 bedroom house for a family with animals. You're probably going to need to spend $2000 a month to be in the trendy neighborhoods we've been discussing that are close in to uptown.

$1500 will rent something reasonably sized in the general suburbs inside the 485 ring.

I would not look at 3 BR houses under $1000, they will be either very worn, in sketchy neighborhoods, or on busy streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or