Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 AM

12 posts, read 28,875 times

Advertisements

We are in the FL Keys, looking to move to Charlotte area. First and foremost we need excellent schools. Elem and Middle. Anything with overcrowding and redistricting is out. Also need short commute to airport no more than 45 mins. Would like to be near other airline families but not necessary. Small town but more than the approx 5,000 we deal with here. It's too close here.
Anyone know a really good relo agent? All input welcome. House price no more than 400K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 AM

245 posts, read 267,670 times
45 mins from the airport puts you in a good position. Please remember that with the influx of people moving here the school overcrowding can if not already become an issue. Depending on what side of town you like I would look towards Davidson in the North and Maybe Union County to the South.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
I agree with LKN Area -- look north or south. Often, however, there are overcrowding issues in many of the schools. This past year in Union county several schools have opened to alleviate overcrowding. On the plus side, even when the schools have been crowded (my children were in these crowded schools...) they have been able to maintain class sizes for the most part. Best of luck to you

Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

125 posts, read 376,272 times
I'll always plug my area, Union County-Wesley Chapel-Weddington- and agree w/ south.charlotte&union -overcrowding situation there being relieved w/ more schools under construction. look at some of the other relocating posts too. Also South Charlotte-Blakney/Ballantyne seems to be a sought after area in Meck. County. Know from past employment with Schools, that many of the parents worked with the Airlines and live in Union County areas. Good Luck-know there's an overwhelming load of info.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic231 View Post
We are in the FL Keys, looking to move to Charlotte area. First and foremost we need excellent schools. Elem and Middle. Anything with overcrowding and redistricting is out. Also need short commute to airport no more than 45 mins. Would like to be near other airline families but not necessary. Small town but more than the approx 5,000 we deal with here. It's too close here.
Anyone know a really good relo agent? All input welcome. House price no more than 400K
Though we have many "airline families" in Charlotte, I am not aware of any one area where they congregate to live. The ones I know are all over town.

If excellent schools and not being reassigned in the future is what is important to you, look to live in either Fort Mill, SC (which gives you the best airport access) or south Charlotte. Everyone loves Union county and you will get a lot of advice to look there, however, it is the fastest growing area in this state and new schools are opening ever year - so I wouldn't like those odds if I were you.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic231 View Post
I might take a good look at the Fort Mill area or Denver NC or Gaston County. I live in Union County NC and while it is a nice place to live, I am concerned about the future of the area. Many schools were terribly overcrowded, and steps have been put in place to ease that. While more schools are being built, neighborhood developments have not stopped. So it is pretty easy to see us getting back into the same situation very quickly. For example, one specific neighborhood is building ~2000 houses. This would require 3 new schools that haven't even been planned yet. Also as more schools are being built the chances for redistricting increases (we are on our 2nd elementary in 3 years and I'm sure that there are others that have been redistricted more than that). So far, the only way to pay for these schools has been through property taxes. It has been estimated that in less than 5 years, UC will have a tax rate that will surpass Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte is). The issue there is that the majority of the county is still very rural and predominately middle class or lower. There's only so much taxes these folks can or will pay without some increase in the services that they receive. There's still many issues with the infrastructure like sewers, roads, water etc. None of these issues are being adequately address by the local government, since they are nicely embedded in the pockets of the housing developer community. I wish I could recommend UC as a great place to relocate to, but being faced with what the future holds, I'm afraid of what going to happen. Hope that helps in showing you both the good and the bad out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte