Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgucci View Post
If this has already been posted, I apologize. I found this on the Lakeland Ledger's website, which is where Publix's HQ is.

Publix Denies Interest In Harris Teeter Stores | TheLedger.com

I am not suprised. It's not Publix thing or part of their history to acquire whole chains. They are very peculiar and consistent with the look of their stores and have been expanding with new locations. Now a handful of stores in a market where they want to operate and remodel to their style is one thing but taking on 200 stores at one time is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgucci View Post
If this has already been posted, I apologize. I found this on the Lakeland Ledger's website, which is where Publix's HQ is.

Publix Denies Interest In Harris Teeter Stores | TheLedger.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I am not suprised. It's not Publix thing or part of their history to acquire whole chains. They are very peculiar and consistent with the look of their stores and have been expanding with new locations. Now a handful of stores in a market where they want to operate and remodel to their style is one thing but taking on 200 stores at one time is another.
If Publix is going to open a new store, it will be constructed from the ground up. I recall four Publix stores in the State of South Carolina that have risen from the ashes of previous Winn Dixie stores. Those Publix stores do very well.

Publix, in very rare occassions, will acquire stores. Two examples include 42 stores in Florida acquired from Albertson's and 2 stores in Murfreesboro, Tennessee acquired from Bi-Lo, both occurring 4 to 5 years ago.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Publix is going to open a new store, it will be constructed from the ground up. ...
It seems to me this strategy isn't going to work well inside of Charlotte proper because the lack of undeveloped land and neighborhood opposition to new stores would make for limited opportunities in achieving much market penetration.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
If it ends up being Kroger they are open 24 hours, except on holidays. So you won't lose early morning time at HT.

They also double coupons and run triple coupon special weeks or days.

I found the fresh produce to be more reasonably priced at Kroger but it could be priced by market demand, although I do not think this is going to be the case. I never in Michigan in the winter paid $3 for strawberries or more at Kroger and they have to truck them further. I don't understand the produce prices at HT, it baffles me.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Harris Teeter might become Stop & Shop Welcome*-* Stop & Shop

Dutch grocer Royal Ahold NV has expressed an interest in purchasing Matthews-based Harris Teeter Supermarkets, though it is still gathering information and has not made a bid. The company operates Stop & Shop stores.

Ahold has contacted JPMorgan Chase & Co., retained by Harris Teeter to evaluate options, and is seeking more information on the sale process, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the negotiations are private. Ahold hasn’t made a formal bid, according to that person.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Dutch grocer Royal Ahold NV has expressed an interest in purchasing Matthews-based Harris Teeter Supermarkets, though it is still gathering information and has not made a bid. The company operates Stop & Shop stores.

Ahold has contacted JPMorgan Chase & Co., retained by Harris Teeter to evaluate options, and is seeking more information on the sale process, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the negotiations are private. Ahold hasn’t made a formal bid, according to that person.

[LEFT]Read more here: Bloomberg: Harris Teeter draws interest from Dutch grocer | CharlotteObserver.com[/LEFT]

Looks like this Dutch grocer also owns the Giant stores in the VA/MD area as well. The logo is the same.

I saw that Publix is looking at a site to put a store in Cornelius or Huntersville as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post

I saw that Publix is looking at a site to put a store in Cornelius or Huntersville as well.
This seems like an obvious place for them to go. One would think they would consider the former Lowes store at Kensington Place. It's up for sale. However, I'd rather them however come up with a new place that can be walked to.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This seems like an obvious place for them to go. One would think they would consider the former Lowes store at Kensington Place. It's up for sale. However, I'd rather them however come up with a new place that can be walked to.
That would be an option but I hope they come more my way. I am surrounded by HT's. There are 4 of them (including the foo-foo one) within 15 minutes of me in each direction.

I actually did hear that they might put one in along Eastfield Road at the intersection of Prosperity Church. There's been some land for sale there for quite a while. They cleared out all of the trees. I would love it if they put one there.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Ahold has contacted JPMorgan Chase & Co., retained by Harris Teeter to evaluate options, and is seeking more information on the sale process, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the negotiations are private. Ahold hasn’t made a formal bid, according to that person.[LEFT]
Read more here: Bloomberg: Harris Teeter draws interest from Dutch grocer | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]
Ahold also owns Giant of Landover & Giant (of Carlisle), Sunny. This makes a fair amount of sense. Ahold tried to set up an upscale chain, called Super G about 15 years ago. They tried it in South Jersey & Delaware & it failed. They converted the South Jersey stores to Stop & Shop which failed very quickly, & the Delaware stores were converted to Giant of Landover.

Ahold competes with Harris Teeter in VA & MD & also competes with Kroger in VA. Lets see if this brings out Kroger. Kroger was checking out a Safeway-owned chain that closed in South Jersey. Harris Teeter would give them a connection between their stores in Richmond & Raleigh to the Philadelphia market.

This isn't regional. It's an east coast thing.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Too bad their profits ( according to latest shareholder's meeting) makes them a target for another competitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte