Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 05:20 PM

279 posts, read 448,016 times

Advertisements

^In the days when I did a lot of flying for business, weekly, I often flew through PIT and it was one of my favorites for a layover. In many ways I felt it was far superior to CLT in terms of what it provided connecting passengers. I hated to see that hub pulled.

It was "US Air" that pulled out of Pittsburgh. Today we are dealing with US West which is doing business as "US Airways". Bad news for CLT is US West is even more conservative than US Air when it comes to these sorts of things. Good news for CLT, they still seem to think it's worth fighting for. It's why they went to the GA.

US Air pulled out of PIT because of the debt on the airport. It cost them $8/passenger in PIT vs $2/passenger in CLT. Bean counters moved out of PIT, Hub closes, 17,000 jobs gone. They said it couldn't happen there, it did. How much debt is there on CLT now?

BTW, I'm not defending anything. I'm criticizing the city for the way they handled the situation. It should have never gotten to the point where US West (aka US Airways) went to the NC GA to settle issues with the city. The GA did what the GA does, so no surprises there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
BTW, I'm not defending anything. I'm criticizing the city for the way they handled the situation. It should have never gotten to the point where US West (aka US Airways) went to the NC GA to settle issues with the city. The GA did what the GA does, so no surprises there.
What issues did it bring up? What problems does it anticipate can be solved better with Union county managing it? If they are so interested in how things go in Charlotte, why do they want Gaston county to have a say in how they do business?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What issues did it bring up? What problems does it anticipate can be solved better with Union county managing it? If they are so interested in how things go in Charlotte, why do they want Gaston county to have a say in how they do business?
I have no idea as that information has not been made public. We only know that US Airways and some local business leaders used the "nuclear option" to have a local senator submit a US Airways authored bill to the NC GA.

The former mayor and city council had plenty of opportunities to short circuit this tactic but instead essentially told the GA, "we dare you". Well, they got their answer to that.

(McCrory has said the local "business community" should go public with their concerns instead of hiding behind the senate)

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
I have no idea as that information has not been made public. We only know that US Airways and some local business leaders used the "nuclear option" to have a local senator submit a US Airways authored bill to the NC GA.

The former mayor and city council had plenty of opportunities to short circuit this tactic but instead essentially told the GA, "we dare you". Well, they got their answer to that.

(McCrory has said the local "business community" should go public with their concerns instead of hiding behind the senate)
Those details shouldn't be secret. How much time did they have in your estimate?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Those details shouldn't be secret. How much time did they have in your estimate?
How many people complaining about the secrecy, also complained when the former mayor, city-council, and certain members of the NC House met behind various closed doors with the Panthers over incentives? If there is going to be a transparency standard, then it ought to apply to everything.

I think the city had from 3/12/2013 to 7/10/2013 or ~ 4 months to work with the House to blunt the Senate bill or even to convince Tillis not to consider it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
How many people complaining about the secrecy, also complained when the former mayor, city-council, and certain members of the NC House met behind various closed doors with the Panthers over incentives? If there is going to be a transparency standard, then it ought to apply to everything.

I think the city had from 3/12/2013 to 7/10/2013 or ~ 4 months to work with the House to blunt the Senate bill or even to convince Tillis not to consider it.
Did you complain about it? If it was wrong then shouldn't it be wrong now?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
So because of few business men, the airport gets taken away from the city who overwhelmingly wants to keep our airport?

The one thing being left out of this conversation is what the people of Charlotte want. Instead, we get insulted and we get called immature, childish, irresponsible, and all we have are water balloons....

The man I hate most around here (bill James) is even confused about this mess and why it started in the first place. Peacock and other pubs in the city are against this bill.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Did you complain about it? If it was wrong then shouldn't it be wrong now?
Why would I complain about it where did I say it was wrong?

I only said that you either have a transparency standard that is followed or you don't. Obviously the local city government and representatives to the GA don't, hence the point, raised by someone else is moot.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So because of few business men, the airport gets taken away from the city who overwhelmingly wants to keep our airport?

The one thing being left out of this conversation is what the people of Charlotte want. Instead, we get insulted and we get called immature, childish, irresponsible, and all we have are water balloons....

The man I hate most around here (bill James) is even confused about this mess and why it started in the first place. Peacock and other pubs in the city are against this bill.
It's not clear to me that an overwhelming number of people in the city even care about this issue. The 3-1 margin quoted several times in this topic was based on the Observer asking a polling agency to contact 650 picked from voter registration records and located in certain zipcodes, some of which were not in Charlotte. Furthermore the reporter got the math wrong. LOL (we are talking about the Observer afterall)

Second, the airport isn't being taken away from the city. This is media misreporting.

Nobody has called the citizens of Charlotte immature, childish, irresponsible, etc. If you have a direct quote where this has taken place I'd like to see it. People have made these references to the political leadership on both sides. That is to be expected.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Why would I complain about it where did I say it was wrong?

I only said that you either have a transparency standard that is followed or you don't. Obviously the local city government and representatives to the GA don't, hence the point, raised by someone else is moot.
Hmmm... I don't know, I guess I made a mistake believing everyone would agree that closed door/backroom deals were considered shady.

Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte