Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Charlotte also demolished a great deal of public housing & slums during this period. This was already mentioned above. (not by me)
You're confusing this with urban renewal wherein Black neighborhoods were systematically razed, often for freeway construction; practically every major city across the country experienced this, even cities that had relatively few Blacks. I referenced this earlier when I mentioned Brooklyn in Second Ward. However, this is quite different than what I just mentioned. I'm not talking about the systematic razing of Black neighborhoods in the 50's 60's, and 70's, I'm talking about the demolition of public housing projects. Atlanta has gotten rid of all of its public housing projects. This is not a task that Charlotte has undertaken, so you're mistaken about that.

Atlanta Housing: Atlanta building -- and old public housing model -- demolished

Atlanta's Public-Housing Revolution by Howard Husock, City Journal Autumn 2010

From Public Housing to Private Enterprise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
The UNC map doesn't prove your point either, by the way. He is talking about patterns of development and that The Charlotte region embarked on a very different path from Georgia starting in the 1990's. the overall growth of a community is tempered by this exactly. Overall growth. Pittsburgh's population has shrunk dramatically but it is arguably a much better, more vibrant and urban city today then it was in the 1970's. significantly, the change in patterns of growth to more transit, walkable, compact development is not isolated in Charlotte. It's the law in many Charlotte suburbs. Charlotte's growth in the future will be more compact. There's no sign that this changing in Atlanta as your metro now sprawls from NC to south GA...a massive land area with few parallels for the population.
I call foul on this one:

Nowhere CLOSE to south GA (which is south of the fall line below Augusta, Macon, and Columbus) and no counties that border NC.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
I have attached an exact scale satellite image of both metro areas side by side. Notice the size differences in counties and the how much more compact the Atlanta urban area is.

The orange yellow lines are the future Northern Arc and GA 316 fully controlled access to Athens.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Is Atlanta's Traffic So Bad? (Future Charlotte Development Thread)-untitled.jpg  

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I have attached an exact scale satellite image of both metro areas side by side. Notice the size differences in counties and the how much more compact the Atlanta urban area is.

The orange yellow lines are the future Northern Arc and GA 316 fully controlled access to Athens.
Huh? Are you suggesting that the lighter areas are developed?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
There are 110 cities and villages in the MSA, but over two thirds of the residents live in unincorporated portions of the region’s 20 counties. Only three cities have over 50,000 residents, but 14 of the counties have over 50,000 residents in unincorporated areas.

From the Brooking Institute

mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: see tos on copyrighted matrial

Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Huh? Are you suggesting that the lighter areas are developed?
With Atlanta as well as Charlotte, both cites are covered with trees, known as urban forests so it is difficult to judge development by satellite image unless very close in. All I am saying is based off this image one can clearly tell Atlanta is split between multiple counties while Charlotte is concentrated in one. Also interesting to notice is what is going on outside of the beltways of each city. The configuration of roads can really speak volumes about an area.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
[quote=urbanmyth;28376358]There are 110 cities and villages in the MSA, but over two thirds of the residents live in unincorporated portions of the region’s 20 counties. Only three cities have over 50,000 residents, but 14 of the counties have over 50,000 residents in unincorporated areas.

From the Brooking Institute

mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-23-2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: see tos on copyrighted matrial

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Yet, none of this addresses all the evidence compiled at the UA level, which is the most direct evidence at actual growth boundaries showing how similar Charlotte is to Atlanta.

The problem is you guys are getting way too hung up on population numbers that fit into certain boundaries without looking into what the boundaries actually are.
Precisely!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
The UNC map doesn't prove your point either, by the way. He is talking about patterns of development and that The Charlotte region embarked on a very different path from Georgia starting in the 1990's. the overall growth of a community is tempered by this exactly. Overall growth. Pittsburgh's population has shrunk dramatically but it is arguably a much better, more vibrant and urban city today then it was in the 1970's. significantly, the change in patterns of growth to more transit, walkable, compact development is not isolated in Charlotte. It's the law in many Charlotte suburbs. Charlotte's growth in the future will be more compact. There's no sign that this changing in Atlanta as your metro now sprawls from NC to south GA...a massive land area with few parallels for the population.
Have you been to Union County? Not too much walkable down there unless you're talking about subdivision sidewalks. Speaking of Union County, you were citing figures of some of Charlotte's central neighborhoods growing 4, 6, 9, 14% from 2000-2010, yet failed to mention that Union County grew 60+%. Yes, it is off a lower base, but it was almost twice as fast as Mecklenburg. And probably less than half of its land area can really be considered a Charlotte suburb. Again, I'm not saying the city neighborhoods aren't growing, but many of the suburbs are growing just as fast if not moreso.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
How many MPOs are in the Atlanta metro? There are 3 here, on the NC side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte