Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I think it's time you understand Atlanta isn't the only city in the world and there's plenty that top it. Once again, you've become too butthurt because you've been proven wrong countless amount of times. Your arguments are all the same, filled with biased opinions and false information.
I understand other cities are bigger and out perform Atlanta too bad Charlotte isn't one of them but that's not the discussion. I certainly don't think Atlanta is Gods gift to the world but I just so happen to love the area the good and the bad. I also think its time for u to understand that Charlotte is a toddler when it comes to major cities in the USA..What have I been proven wrong on? My arguments are no different from the same biased arguments u make U already made it known u don't like us Atl posters but crazy part is I don't feel the same about u guys because its really not that serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Actually the job centers are in midtown downtown cumberland and perimeter. Which are all are CBD so there commuting in different directions not just to the center . No one is expecting any city to follow Atlanta. Fact remains that Atlanta has a heavy rail system and Charlotte doesn't ...and Also fact remains. Charlotte is still in the shadows of Atlanta globally nationally and economically ands it's 30 years behind us in infrastructure.. So until the Charlotte region gets to be Atlantas size what it needs to do is just take notes and hope and pray it goes in another direction, but from the looks of it it seems to be following Atlanta ...

Not cherry picking numbers just in disagreement with the case your trying to present ...just in case u forgot Fulton county is not the core county its one of the 5.
What kind of intense research effort did it take to deduce this profound statement? Seriously, Atlanta is not so much the king of the south anymore as other mid-size metros (Charlotte, RDU, Nashville, etc) grow and offer amenities once only regionally available in Atlanta (pro sports, high end shopping, etc). It's ok, it's still a great place to visit and we'll always know who big poppa/momma is....the cubs have grown up a bit and ventured into the wild.

No need to envy Charlotte or remind us of Atlanta's worldy stature as most of us are very familiar with the place and it's current traffic issues. Go to the Portland or Seattle forum, etc....they probably don't much about Atlanta, share with the west coast brethren, we are well aware of Atlanta.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I have to agree with this a bit but will toss in a caveat in defense of the less than stellar planned MARTA system in Atlanta. Atlanta's urban infrastructure mimics most sunbelt cities and doesn't mirror the traditional northeastern city style urban development which mostly occurred during the pre-auto era.

DC has miles of rowhouses and dense urban neighborhoods that aren't indigenous to the city of Atlanta. However, Altanta could have done better TOD planning to spur growth and urbanity. I think years of study and best practices will benefit Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, etc. and other cities pursuing mass transit options.

That said, every major city has traffic woes no matter how effcient and well planned the mass transit system. When I leave DC traveling southward....best believe I try to get of the metro or close to Fredricksburg by 2pm.

Charlotte will have been better planned, but traffic woes will continue to intensify and become increasingly comparable to Atlanta.
Thanks I totally agree.. this was a reasonable post.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
I understand other cities are bigger and out perform Atlanta too bad Charlotte isn't one of them but that's not the discussion. I certainly don't think Atlanta is Gods gift to the world but I just so happen to love the area the good and the bad. I also think its time for u to understand that Charlotte is a toddler when it comes to major cities in the USA..What have I been proven wrong on? My arguments are no different from the same biased arguments u make U already made it known u don't like us Atl posters but crazy part is I don't feel the same about u guys because its really not that serious.
Not a toddler! At least junior high, tall (skyscrapers), a little frail, decent handle (basketball reference), with tons of potential to put on a little weight (urbanity/in-fill) and grow up to be a superstar (major city on the horizen).

Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
What kind of intense research effort did it take to deduce this profound statement? Seriously, Atlanta is not so much the king of the south anymore as other mid-size metros (Charlotte, RDU, Nashville, etc) grow and offer amenities once only regionally available in Atlanta (pro sports, high end shopping, etc). It's ok, it's still a great place to visit and we'll always know who big poppa/momma is....the cubs have grown up a bit and ventured into the wild.

No need to envy Charlotte or remind us of Atlanta's worldy stature as most of us are very familiar with the place and it's current traffic issues. Go to the Portland or Seattle forum, etc....they probably don't much about Atlanta, share with the west coast brethren, we are well aware of Atlanta.
Even though u may have amenities the fact remains thoughs amenities or no where on the level of the bigger metros of the South. There is no envy over here no reason to be that way towards a city that doesn't offer the lifestyle I prefer.

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-19-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
.... There is no envy over here no reason to be that way towards a city that doesn't offer the lifestyle I prefer.
Yet you are an avid poster in the Charlotte forum for the purpose of making boosterism posts about Atlanta. While you might talk the talk, you don't walk the walk. You can check this yourself. I have never made a single post in the ATL forum because it holds absolutely no interest for me. If I want to visit a bigger city, I get on the NC owned Carolinian train and goes to Union Station right in DC. It makes daily trips to the NC and is currently being converted to high speed rail. Why would I deal with the hellish traffic to go to a city where nobody wishes to live?

If you like the lifestyle of living in Georgia, then I don't fault you for it. But there is nobody in NC, a more progressive swing state, looking towards GA or ATL as examples of a great lifestyle. Whether you believe this or not doesn't matter, but I'm not making booster posts for CLT in the GA/ATL forum. (if such a forum exists)

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Yet you are an avid poster in the Charlotte forum for the purpose of making boosterism posts about Atlanta. While you might talk the talk, you don't walk the walk. You can check this yourself. I have never made a single post in the ATL forum because it holds absolutely no interest for me. If I want to visit a bigger city, I get on the NC owned Carolinian train and goes to Union Station right in DC. It makes daily trips to the NC and is currently being converted to high speed rail. Why would I deal with the hellish traffic to go to a city where nobody wishes to live?

If you like the lifestyle of living in Georgia, then I don't fault you for it. But there is nobody in NC, a more progressive swing state, looking towards GA or ATL as examples of a great lifestyle. Whether you believe this or not doesn't matter, but I'm not making booster posts for CLT in the GA/ATL forum. (if such a forum exists)

I dont have boost Atlanta, Atlanta boosted itself with all the things its accomplished In the last 40 years to put itself where it is today. Not my fault nor Atlantas fault that Charlotte got off to a slow start.. U don't ever have to visit Atlanta we will not be doomed because u have no desire to come here. When are u going to learn to stop speaking for everyone in NC? Because there are plenty of people from NC living in Atlanta just like there are people from ga living in NC. U love to get so emotional in your post. U have made your share of booster post on the Atlanta forum. U have even tried to be little Atlanta on several occasions so just stop.

The great thing about America is we have a choice to live where we want. Just so happen more people have decided to live in the Atlanta region. Ill remove myself from the Charlotte forum have a good week

Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
.... Not my fault nor Atlantas fault that Charlotte got off to a slow start.. ....
Nobody here has claimed otherwise. We admit the MSA here is smaller.

This topic is, after all, keeping Charlotte's future from becoming that of Atlanta's. I'm glad we didn't over develop during the 70s & 80s. There is absolutely no desire here to have a MSA of 5M that stretches over 10,000 sq/miles and covers close to 30 counties.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
IMO, even if Atlanta had the best transportation system in the country, traffic would still be horrible due to the fact of such a large number being forced to travel into Downtown/Midtown to work.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Just for the record the city of Atlanta is in fact gaining population, that is why there are so many apartment buildings/condos are being constructed within the city.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...1/daily81.html

So to say that no one wants to live within the city of Atlanta is incorrect.

Last edited by diablo234; 02-19-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte