Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 AM

30 posts, read 124,550 times

Advertisements

My husband was relocated to Charlotte for work and is living in Charlotte now but I live in Cary, NC to keep my son in school till the end of the year. I have searched for schools in the Charlotte area and honestly, I'm not thrilled with them at all. So after looking at some of the schools in Mooresville, I think that is the area to live in for me, but the problem is the commute. I do realize that if we live in the southern area of Mooresville it will still be a 20 mile drive for him to Exit 39, but I'm looking to find out from the locals what the "real" commute time would be?

He has already expressed how insane the traffic is there due to the amount of people and not enough updated roads (and we come from the Boston / Providence area so that's saying a LOT) and he really doesn't want to go back to the 1 hour drive each way so I'm curious to find out if anyone drives that at all and how long it takes during regular work hours - 8am to 5pm.

Is it something that we should consider or is it just really too long of a drive?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:49 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,334,520 times
45 minutes at the least , up to 2 hours at the most , due to lousy drivers. You'd come out better getting the Terrafugia Transition , it costs a decent amount , but you'd never have to worry about traffic again.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
I was confused by your post because the southern end of Mooresville is at Exit 33 not Exit 39. Are you asking how long it takes to get from Exit 39 to Charlotte? If so, not good during commuting hours. I'd count on at least an hour, maybe more, possibly less. This is a long drive even without the traffic.

If you want to work in Charlotte, and don't like long drives, I don't recommend it. Prospects for it getting better are not good. People keep moving to these places in the hinterlands then expect the roads to be built to handle it. It's not coming anytime soon so the problem keeps getting worse and worse.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,227,744 times
There is no exit 39! Mooresville exits from I-77 are 31, 33, & 36. The next exit north is 42 (Troutman); the next south is 30 (Davidson.)

Mooresville to the center of Charlotte will take about an hour most mornings & the return trip is similar in the evenings. I'd say this is average, it can take much longer! The best way to avoid the morning traffic is simply to leave early. Hit the road by 6:30 AM and the commute is much shorter.

It doesn't really matter what exit you're coming from if you are north of exit 30. The main traffic problems are usually just south of there, so you won't save much time by choosing the southern end of Mooresville over any other part.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,146,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan01 View Post
My husband was relocated to Charlotte for work and is living in Charlotte now but I live in Cary, NC to keep my son in school till the end of the year. I have searched for schools in the Charlotte area and honestly, I'm not thrilled with them at all. So after looking at some of the schools in Mooresville, I think that is the area to live in for me, but the problem is the commute. I do realize that if we live in the southern area of Mooresville it will still be a 20 mile drive for him to Exit 39, but I'm looking to find out from the locals what the "real" commute time would be?

He has already expressed how insane the traffic is there due to the amount of people and not enough updated roads (and we come from the Boston / Providence area so that's saying a LOT) and he really doesn't want to go back to the 1 hour drive each way so I'm curious to find out if anyone drives that at all and how long it takes during regular work hours - 8am to 5pm.

Is it something that we should consider or is it just really too long of a drive?

Thanks for your help!
speaking of not thrilled at all...

you're gonna have a blast around here. A pats fan from Boston complaining about schools, commutes and roadways, all before you even arrive. We can't WAIT for you to get here so you can tell us the rest of the things that are wrong with this area!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM

314 posts, read 672,282 times
Do you mean exit 39 off I-85? If so, why not look at Concord/Cabarrus County schools?
I'm from the Boston area and I don't think the traffic/roads are half as bad as there....I just went back there in December and couldn't wait to leave! I needed a drink after trying to get anywhere up there!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,166,139 times
LOL, you couldn't have picked a worse area to commute from. That will be a horrible commute to be honest. Have you checked out Ballantyne?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Do you mean exit 39 off I-85? If so, why not look at Concord/Cabarrus County schools?
I'm from the Boston area and I don't think the traffic/roads are half as bad as there....I just went back there in December and couldn't wait to leave! I needed a drink after trying to get anywhere up there!
I'm thinking this is the situation. Still, exit 39 off 85 is basically the intersection of 85/77 and if coming from Mooresville would still mean an I-77 commute. This location saves a few minutes, but depending on where exactly you live you're probably still looking at about 35-40 minutes on average but may also have a lot of days that aren't average. If the husband would be unhappy with an hour, then I'm not sure he'd be very happy with this commute.

Depending on where in Cabarrus County may not be much better. Maybe Harrisburg?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM

314 posts, read 672,282 times
I admit, I don't do the commute from Concord to Charlotte every morning so I don't know how hard a commute it is to exit 39...on the map didn't look horrible because if you live in NW Concord (Maybe Highland Creek, Winding Walk to Moss Creek areas) you can go a few different ways (either 85 or take Eastfield to 77) but I was thinking she may like the schools in the area.
Harrisburg looks decent but again, not sure how it is in "real" time!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
Traffic isn't much of an issue between Concord Mills & I-77. The only challenging part is getting onto I-77 from I-85. (Since 85 does not go downtown) There are certainly worse commutes.

Since the OP specified Mooresville however, I don't think they are asking about routes on I-85. Mooresville isn't remotely close to this area. I'm guessing that it's more likely that when they stated Exit 39 on I-77 they really meant Exit 36 or or Exit 33.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte