Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Bleh, they have been talking about the beltline LRT forever.. I seem to remember the sales tax for this getting voted down last year by the local residents. RIP. I suppose it will make a nice walking trail however. Charlotte has gotten the Federal Government to fund two transit lines since those plans were proposed. .

Streetcars? LOL, they are glorified buses. MARTA HRT, it's ridership is dismal for a HRT and its so expensive that ATL can't afford to expand it any further which means it can't be used where it's needed. There could be an entire topic of the failures of the promises of MaRTA, but that is beyond this topic.

However aside from that, what does the future of MARTA have to do with this topic? If ATL isn't bidding on these olympics, this sounds like boosterism to me. My post, which you quoted was to compare Lynx in 2024 vs present day Marta since it was used as a yardstick by you guys as being qualified to hold Olympics. i.e. It's not an issue for Charlotte's prospects.
The BeltLine is not even that old so I don't know what you are talking about "forever".Especially when its still under construction.

The federal government did not give funds to fund the TOTAL cost of those two lines.North Carolina has to pay for the rest.That is why it has not happened yet.The state does not have the money.
You can rip on MARTA all day but it says something that a city with Heavy Rail is definitely on another level than one without.
The last expansion of MARTA was to North Springs in just 2000.There are plans but like Charlotte, no money.
Of course it is entirely conceivable that LYNX will grow by 2024.Its not conceivable that it will grow to accommodate the crowds and cover the area it needs to within that time.
For one thing light rail is slower and just cannot carry nearly as many people.No matter how much longer the cabins are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Surely you must have some basis for saying this--but you probably don't. Everyone knows you have an anti-SC bias anyway. Common sense tells anyone that drawing on the resources and connections of two states instead of one is a much smarter strategy.

And for the record, most Olympics don't have every single event in the host city. The Atlanta games had several events outside of the metro area and even a few outside of Georgia.
Biased? Somewhat. In relevance to the Olympics being in the state? No. You've already said Charlotte couldn't do it, so why are you still discussing the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Sorry but I just don't see how Charlotte would even get the nod.TOO many obstacles:

1.Charlotte has to spend millions on infrastructure. Including expanding its rail system.Some one mention LA not having heavy rail, but LA is LA.That was also in 1984.EVERY city has had Heavy rail since then.
2.Marketing.Charlotte needs to find it niche.It going to be very hard to do.Atlanta struggled with that for MANY years even after.The Olympics is kind of what has made that become more evident that Atlanta is the main representative of the region.
3.The venues would HAVE to be more compact.You cannot have so many venues spread out across a region.
The only stuff Atlanta had far out was the sailing events in Savannah and the White Water events in North Georgia/TN Mountains.
4.Its not about corporate sponsorship so much as donations and contributions.A lot of stuff in Atlanta was paid for by public/private partnerships.Many of the corporations like Coke,Delta and even Home Depot gave MILLIONS alone through different eniies like the Coke Foundation companies donated land.
1. The LYNX is currently planned to be expanded and would have been by 2024.
2. I'm positive if Charlotte does host the Olympics, the name would speak for itself.
3. According to Mutiny77's post, they can be out of the state.
4. This has already been discussed extensively.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
If you are referring to me, I don't hate Atlanta. If I hated the place I'd be making anti-ATL posts in the ATL forum, to tell them what is wrong with their city. Yet, I have never posted there and don't even know if there is a ATL forum on this site. I have no reason to do this.

There are a few things to admire about every place and there are some things I like about Georgia however for the most part, I don't really give Atlanta much thought. It doesn't mean anything to me. About the only time I think about ATL, is when the ATL forumers show up here.

Hate, no, disinterest, yes.
I hear you...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I know some don't think it can be done by looking through short sighted glasses and some say 11 years is a short time frame but look how much the city looks different and grown in the last 10 years.

For those that have been here since 2000, the city offers more now than it did back then.
There was no Westin, Ritz Carlton, North Lake even Birkdale in Huntersville and numerous hotels up there didn't exist.
The aquatics center in Huntersville that could host diving or swimming.
Whitewater center is perfect for those type of Olympic challenges.
Both didn't exist 10 years ago.
As mention earlier in the thread accommodations will be made.
I cringe on the stadium escalators but with Olympics in mind, this is a good idea.

Infrastructure, yes as it stands now does need work and fast track the light rail plan that originally was suppose to be done by 2030.

It was mention there will be change in leader ship, I really think that is mute since the vision of something like Olympics will be strong with whoever it is. It could still be Mayor Foxx as Governor McCrory was mayor for 14 years.
A vision of the Olympics will stop the giving of cash to strip malls.
Governor McCrory, Tillis and other area state GA is perfect for rallying the state behind supporting Carolina Olympics.

Greensboro coliseum is ideal for its large size in hosting indoor events. NC rail could have the Carolinian serves express train just between the two cities.
Since the Light rail plan is fast tracked the new train depot would be by Greyhound station and GSO could have temporary depot across the street from the coliseum.

Charlotte has grown a lot in the last 10 years because of its determination not to be held back. It is why Queen City has flourish over any other cities in this state.

There was same negative talk about Charlotte couldn't host the DNC on this forum but the city did well and it has put us on map to be consider for the vision of the Olympics.

Here is examples of what was said pre-DNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just don't think Charlotte is big enough to host a Democratic or Republican convention.

I know it shuts down a city . . . can't see where anyone would benefit from that. But then- the economic development council and I don't always see things the say way.

Getting the "prize" isn't always a "prize" if it costs a city to get that "prize."

They should go to Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Ani---100 % of what I was thinking. Think about the cities that "got an Olympics" then found out what the bottom line was when it was all said and done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed, it's, in a strange way, fascinating the parallels of the gut wrenching things occuring in society now that are not being dealt with, as they were then, that led to the events of that convention. Maybe this isn't the best time for this thing to come to Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Lets concentrate on getting the World Cup Soccer here. That wouldn't bring in the trash like the Dem convention. The Tea Party demonstrators are people that want to make a point and express dissatisfaction which is their constitutional right. Destruction and violence isn't part of their agenda. I don't see them as being part of a disruptive crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Not enough accommodations. People would be getting rooms in Wilmington to come here for a convention/protest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguity144 View Post
Charlotte is still too provincial. Convention needs to be in a larger city that is more cosmopolitan and diverse. Charlotte is still "fly-over" territory.
Oylmpics can happen if we visualize what we want Charlotte to become.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-24-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I agree Sunny... but as you already know the Olympics are a different animal. That being said, so many on here were dead wrong about the convention and most who predicted this have a protectionist (is that a word) view and are against growth of any kind and say no to EVERY plan the city makes.

Funny thing though is most are willing to admit we did succeed with the DNC and Charlottr can do anything it strives to do. Hotels... pfff, we have the land to build em. Sites, we have the colleges to host them and any facility built would be used by the colleges and would help grow these institutions.

I do think getting the Pan Am games or a smaller event would help us prepare for the big leagues....

Now lets get ready for the CIAA... I'm pretty sure another city is trying to steal it from Charlotte. LOL...

Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I know some don't think it can be done by looking through short sighted glasses and some say 11 years is a short time frame but look how much the city looks different and grown in the last 10 years.

For those that have been here since 2000, the city offers more now than it did back then.
There was no Westin, Ritz Carlton, North Lake even Birkdale in Huntersville and numerous hotels up there didn't exist.
The aquatics center in Huntersville that could host diving or swimming.
Whitewater center is perfect for those type of Olympic challenges.
Both didn't exist 10 years ago.
As mention earlier in the thread accommodations will be made.
I cringe on the stadium escalators but with Olympics in mind, this is a good idea.

Infrastructure, yes as it stands now does need work and fast track the light rail plan that originally was suppose to be done by 2030.

It was mention there will be change in leader ship, I really think that is mute since the vision of something like Olympics will be strong with whoever it is. It could still be Mayor Foxx as Governor McCrory was mayor for 14 years.
A vision of the Olympics will stop the giving of cash to strip malls.
Governor McCrory, Tillis and other area state GA is perfect for rallying the state behind supporting Carolina Olympics.

Greensboro coliseum is ideal for its large size in hosting indoor events. NC rail could have the Carolinian serves express train just between the two cities.
Since the Light rail plan is fast tracked the new train depot would be by Greyhound station and GSO could have temporary depot across the street from the coliseum.

Charlotte has grown a lot in the last 10 years because of its determination not to be held back. It is why Queen City has flourish over any other cities in this state.

There was same negative talk about Charlotte couldn't host the DNC on this forum but the city did well and it has put us on map to be consider for the vision of the Olympics.

Here is examples of what was said pre-DNC

Oylmpics can happen if we visualize what we want Charlotte to become.
I never doubted Charlotte could host the DNC.I was not surprised it did well.I do think the Olympics however is a monumental undertaking even in a few years.Is it impossible?No.However a lot has to be put in place and you are right to say that the will off people will have to be strong to achieve such a tasking.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
I never doubted Charlotte could host the DNC.....
Hmm, yet you made a litany of posts here for the purpose of telling us why Charlotte could not possibly hope to be ready to host the olympics by 2024.
"Its not conceivable that it will grow to accommodate the crowds and cover the area it needs to within that time."
I'm glad you now admit that such statements about CLT were indeed nonsense.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Hmm, yet you made a litany of posts here for the purpose of telling us why Charlotte could not possibly hope to be ready to host the olympics by 2024.
"Its not conceivable that it will grow to accommodate the crowds and cover the area it needs to within that time."
I'm glad you now admit that such statements about CLT were indeed nonsense.

Yes.I sure did.I stand by my statements also.
The DNC and OLYMPICS are not the same at all.One is NATIONAL.Another is INTERNATIONAL.One is much smaller than the other.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Yes.I sure did.I stand by my statements also.
You can't have it both ways. Either you meant the above or you meant this

"I do think the Olympics however is a monumental undertaking even in a few years.Is it impossible?No."
The two are absolute contradictions.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Bleh, they have been talking about the beltline LRT forever.. I seem to remember the sales tax for this getting voted down last year by the local residents. RIP. I suppose it will make a nice walking trail however. Charlotte has gotten the Federal Government to fund two transit lines since those plans were proposed.
Ugh; I really do get tired of correcting your misinformation.

The TSPLOST referendum covered several different transportation/transit projects, not just the BeltLine. At any rate, a TAD anchors the 25-year financial plan for the Atlanta BeltLine. It serves as the primary source of funding and will cover the majority of infrastructure costs. The TAD was established in 2005, and includes tax increment from the City of Atlanta, Fulton County, and Atlanta Public Schools. This district covers more than 6,500 acres of the city, and is projected to generate $1.7 billion in bonding capacity over 25 years.

Quote:
Streetcars? LOL, they are glorified buses. MARTA HRT, it's ridership is dismal for a HRT and its so expensive that ATL can't afford to expand it any further which means it can't be used where it's needed. There could be an entire topic of the failures of the promises of MaRTA, but that is beyond this topic.

However aside from that, what does the future of MARTA have to do with this topic? If ATL isn't bidding on these olympics, this sounds like boosterism to me. My post, which you quoted was to compare Lynx in 2024 vs present day Marta since it was used as a yardstick by you guys as being qualified to hold Olympics. i.e. It's not an issue for Charlotte's prospects.
And in 2024, Lynx still won't have the capacity of present-day MARTA because it's LRT. In other words, more LRT mileage would be a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte