Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree Sunny... but as you already know the Olympics are a different animal. That being said, so many on here were dead wrong about the convention and most who predicted this have a protectionist (is that a word) view and are against growth of any kind and say no to EVERY plan the city makes.

Funny thing though is most are willing to admit we did succeed with the DNC and Charlottr can do anything it strives to do. Hotels... pfff, we have the land to build em. Sites, we have the colleges to host them and any facility built would be used by the colleges and would help grow these institutions.

I do think getting the Pan Am games or a smaller event would help us prepare for the big leagues....

Now lets get ready for the CIAA... I'm pretty sure another city is trying to steal it from Charlotte. LOL...
100% agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

And in 2024, Lynx still won't have the capacity of present-day MARTA because it's LRT. In other words, more LRT mileage would be a moot point.
This isn't the question at hand. The question at hand is will Charlotte, with it's enhancements to Lynx, be able to handle the Olympics crowds. I don't think there will be an issue at all.

Marta is way way over built for what it accomplishes, so a comparison to it's maximum capacity is rather pointless. Mileage (i.e. coverage) is much more important in Sunbelt cities over having a small amount of heavy rail that is too expensive to expand. I don't care about the mythical Beltline. It has nothing to do with this topic.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This isn't the question at hand. The question at hand is will Charlotte, with it's enhancements to Lynx, be able to handle the Olympics crowds. I don't think there will be an issue at all.
And I disagree. So case closed.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Charlotte would do fine.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You can't have it both ways. Either you meant the above or you meant this

"I do think the Olympics however is a monumental undertaking even in a few years.Is it impossible?No."
The two are absolute contradictions.
Ok.Im censored anyway.Charlotte will do fine to host the Olympics.I was wrong.You are right.Forgive me.Charlotte does everything way better than any city and needs no help from for anybody to disagree.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
The only way North Carolina could handle the summer Olympics "today" is by using a "regional concept" . Theoretically the opening/closing ceremony and some games could be held in Charlotte while other games could be held in venues in other Piedmont cities like Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston-Salem. The Triangle could host tennis and basketball events for example while Greensboro could host aquatic swimming/diving events. Winston-Salem could host boxing and Charlotte could host track and field and soccer (football). The combined number of hotel rooms in all three metro areas would meet the requirements. But a regional concept wouldn't likely happen because the Olympics always have been and always will be held in one city. But a "Carolina Olympics" is a great idea because it gets the whole state involved and multiple cities and the state could share the cost. Fans could use the train to get between cities. Shuttle service could be available as well. When NC didn't have a city large enough to support a major league sports team it used a regional concept. The ABA Carolina Cougars were based in Greensboro but home games were split between Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. The ABA eventually merged with the NBA and some old ABA teams like the Indiana Pacers survived the merger.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-24-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
But a regional concept wouldn't likely happen because the Olympics always have been and always will be held in one city.
Uh, no they're not.

The "Atlanta" Olympics had events held in Florida, Alabama, Tennesse and even Washington DC (although several of those were for soccer games).

Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I disagree. So case closed.
Unless you have some statistical data that would prove that CLT couldn't handle 1/2 million visitors/day by 2024, you are offering up nothing more than an opinion. And one, given some of the arguments made, that isn't based on the realities of Charlotte.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Uh, no they're not.

The "Atlanta" Olympics had events held in Florida, Alabama, Tennesse and even Washington DC (although several of those were for soccer games).
bingo!

The biggest problem would be track n field... what would we convert it into once we are done with it.

MLB stadium????

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The only way North Carolina could handle the summer Olympics "today" is by using a "regional concept" . Theoretically the opening/closing ceremony and some games could be held in Charlotte while other games could be held in venues in other Piedmont cities like Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston-Salem. The Triangle could host tennis and basketball events for example while Greensboro could host aquatic swimming/diving events. Winston-Salem could host boxing and Charlotte could host track and field and soccer (football). The combined number of hotel rooms in all three metro areas would meet the requirements. But a regional concept wouldn't likely happen because the Olympics always have been and always will be held in one city. But a "Carolina Olympics" is a great idea because it gets the whole state involved and multiple cities and the state could share the cost. Fans could use the train to get between cities. Shuttle service could be available as well. When NC didn't have a city large enough to support a major league sports team it used a regional concept. The ABA Carolina Cougars were based in Greensboro but home games were split between Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. The ABA eventually merged with the NBA and some old ABA teams like the Indiana Pacers survived the merger.
I agree with your ideas! One thing I think needs to be up and running at this time though, is Highspeed Rail, between all three of the big cities in NC. I think it would also be important for the Triangle to have their light rail system up and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte