Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM

209 posts, read 459,948 times

Advertisements

I remember the Atlanta games very well. I don't consider it a "failure", but the bombing definitely didn't give it a good reputation.

As far as Charlotte hosting the Olympics goes, I think it would be good for the city. I do think if the right actions were taken and planning begins soon, it would be successful. 11 years is quite a while for a city of Charlotte's size to prepare for such a large event. I've heard the Charlotte hosting the Olympics talk for a couple of years here in Atlanta. Of course everyone doubts the city, but I, for one do think it's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times
The idea is so far past ridiculous it makes my head spin.

But I am sure Foxx and his buds are walking around w/ stars in their eyes and all sorts of ego-driven schemes in their heads about how they can convince taxpayers to ante up for the Olympics, lololol.

Here's a little follow up on what happens once the Olympics are over and folks have left town . . .

I have read other articles about the BILLIONS of dollars debt that Greece ended up with . . .and then there are the well documented stories about Canada's empty "village" . . .

Beijing

And here's another one, this time focusing basically on London:

http://business.time.com/2012/06/13/...economic-gold/

Last edited by brokensky; 02-22-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,888,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

But I am sure Foxx and his buds are walking around w/ stars in their eyes and all sorts of ego-driven schemes in their heads about how they can convince taxpayers to ante up for the Olympics, lololol.

Here's a little follow up on what happens once the Olympics are over and folks have left town . . .

I have read other articles about the BILLIONS of dollars debt that Greece ended up with . . .and then there are the well documented stories about Canada's empty "village" . . .

Beijing

London Olympics may not bring economic prosperity | TIME.com

That situation was different for Atlanta

Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM

37,794 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I didn't read your post as it was simply way too long. You might try to cut down on the endless re-quoting.
I emboldened the highlights but wanted to provide the full context.

Quote:
However I did see ESPN. They are not exactly impartial when it comes to reporting on sports. Of course they will say it's great.
You obviously don't know ESPN. And they were pretty balanced in the article.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM

37,794 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Beijing

London Olympics may not bring economic prosperity | TIME.com
Unfortunately, that's partially a result of the IOC wanting the host nations to pony up so much with regard to venues, infrastructure, etc. As one of the articles I cited stated, Atlanta might have been criticized for being "overly commercial," but it resulted in no debt for the US/Georgia and the venues and infrastructure improvements were put to great use by the city in the aftermath. I think it probably benefited from the Games the most compared to most other recent host cities.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That situation was different for Atlanta
Was it?

I have never researched how much it cost Atlanta to host the Olympics or if they were left with a big debt.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, that's partially a result of the IOC wanting the host nations to pony up so much with regard to venues, infrastructure, etc. As one of the articles I cited stated, Atlanta might have been criticized for being "overly commercial," but it resulted in no debt for the US/Georgia and the venues and infrastructure improvements were put to great use by the city in the aftermath. I think it probably benefited from the Games the most compared to most other recent host cities.
I will have to read the articles you posted and check out some others, as well.

I definitely think it is worthy of discussion.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,252,984 times
I guess I was prime Olympic watching age as a kid in 1996, but I never thought the Olympics themselves were considered a failure (of course the bombing was bad). I was a wrestler and the US won three golds in wrestling, including current professional wrestler Kurt Angle. Plus my sister was a gymnast so the gymnastics team winning their first ever team gold was a big deal for her, but I thought the Kerri Strug thing was a pretty big story anyway:

I had to go to wikipedia to make sure I was thinking of the right year, but in track you had Michael Johnson winning both the 200 and 400, and the world record being broken in the 100, and Carl Lewis winning a gold medal at age 35. The US also dominated the medal count overall.

As far as what was left afterwards, as someone else mentioned the Olympic Village seems to have been put to good use, and Centennial Park is a pretty popular tourist spot. I don't think they have anything like what happened in Beijing.

As for Charlotte, I'm not going to be upset if they don't go for it, but I wouldn't be upset if they do either. I will be very upset if Charlotte gets it and wrestling isn't reinstated though. But hopefully they would only have to build few if any new arenas so they don't end up like Beijing either. I'm not sure what's all at the Whitewater Center, but hopefully they could do a bunch of the events there.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,551,524 times
Bejing is really different because it was China's coming out party and they went above and beyond.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,319,837 times
Quote:
I agree 1000%, and that should be enough said.... but just in case, I know how we can pay for the Olympics!!!!! It's easy!!!! Just install toll booths on I77, I85, and I485, increase the prepared food tax to 4%, increase the hotel tax by 5%, increase property taxes 4%, increase the sales tax to 12%, add a millionaire surcharge income tax of 5% to incomes over $250,000 and a 10% tax on passive income over $400,000, impose a motor vehicle fee of $50 per vehicle, add a boat fee of $500 per boat shorter than 24 ft, and $1000 for boats longer than 24 ft, double the cost of fishing and hunting licenses, eliminate the tax break on antique vehicles, add a luxury tax on non essential food items, increase the gas tax by 75 cents per gallon, and impose a sin tax of $2/pack on cigs, $1 per six pack on beer and $5/ liter on spirits. That should just about cover the annual debt service on the 30 year bonds..... if there is anybody left to pay these taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte